Shore excursions for all (yoo hoo Yukon/B.Queen...)

darlong

I've learned a lot from you guys. But I am trying to figure out the following...
7 people...13, 18, 19, 43, 34, 60 and 59...However, the 60 yr old has cardiac limitations (can't walk more than a few blocks before getting winded) and I have a few issues of my own. (Broken neck 5 yrs ago, fusion restricting rotation now) So we'll be doing Inside passage from Van. June 27. Is whale watching too rough? Is going to see Mendenhall too much exertion? ANd what the heck is there to do in Wrangel? Being Canadian, we can't rent a car in Skagway and drive to Yukon, is the White Pass interesting enough for teens? My inlaws 1st cruise, they are coming from Ireland. Any ideas? Please? : )

The whale watching is for most everyone, I would just not move about the boat while moving if mobility is a concern. Mendenhall glacier is easily viewed right from the parking lot [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] and the visitor center does have an elevator. My opinion only- split up your group according to interests. If some want the rail- then go- there are plenty other activities to keep everyone occupied. It is too costly to bring people who have no interest- again my opinion only. I've seen plenty of bored kids but then some kids are real rail fans- what are the ones you are taking??? If you do split up- consider a Park service free walking tour with the kids??

Thanks for the tips. I was worried the wale watching would be a little rough, but I guess if I can handle the local pot holes in our Jeep, the tour shouldn't be a problem. : ) Kids really want to see wales, we have a couple of days pre cruise in Vancouver and I know there are Orca tours leaving from Victoria so we may do that as well. We only have half a day to work in the whale watch-Mendenhall glacier. I have heard you can get a van and driver that seats 7 for Skagway and then do your own trip to Emerald Lake. have you heard of this? Yukon's pics sure look lovely.

I have learned so much from you guys, the cruise lines should really hire you to help all us poor newbies. : )

Thanks again,
Dar and the Wild bunch

RESERVE that VAN NOW. Very short supply. Look at Sourdough rentals or PB Cruisers, Avis hasn't had vans in the past? Very nice and easy trip. 150 miles round trip for a wonderful day.

Darlong,
I see you are from Canada. I think I've read about some restrictions for Canadians renting in the US. Verify before you commit.

NBP [7<sup>2</sup>=49]
[I]Boten, you're always good for a laugh[/I] - newtocc
[I]Boten, I want to speak with Mrs. Boten. NOW[/I] - brigittetom

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Darlong
You would be able to do the Yukon Hiking Adventure it is easy enough and has lots of time for restand great food. The guide was in a sky diving accident and is able to pack all the food for the clients. You would not want to do the Sam McGee Trail it is the upper and very difficult for some.

Ahhh too bad about the Sam McGee Trail...I still break out with choice phrases from that poem when circumstances arise...even my kids know it they have heard me recite it so much. : )

Thanks for the tip, since we will be travelling the week after the longest day how many hours of light can we expect?

From now until around July 15, there is no real dark - almost 20 hours of sunshine and another 4 of twilight. For most of us, the light lasts a lot longer than our stamina! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Murray

Archived