Viking River Cruise

anjan

Can't wait until my Oosterdam Panama Canal Cruise in September. But, I am already thinking about next year. Has anyone taken a Viking River Cruise? Was thinking of taking one either thru France or Germany.

Anjan: River cruising is quite enjoyable in that you do not travel too far on your excursions. The boat docks mostly right in the city (or town) and you just walk off. Holds about 100 - 150 passengers so there are no long delays in boarding or disembarkation. I have done two such cruises and probably will take another one in 2005. Viking has been one of the companies I have tried and was quite satisfied with their efficiency, cleanliness and food. You will not find much entertainment on board, but the lounge had an excellent piano/organ player, some passengers danced, others just enjoyed the music.
Germany has awsome scenery along the route and the stops are in interesting villages and very charming towns with lots of history. France should be nice, especially in the South. Viking offers an interesting itinerary for two weeks which takes you from Honfleur in the North-West to the South.
In fact, that is the one I am considering for next year. HAPPY PLANNING.

My wife and I honeymooned about 15 years ago with French Country Waterways, on the barge [i]Esprit[/i]. It carried 18 passengers, through the canals in the Alsace-Lorraine area, west of the Rhine. It was an an excellent, top-shelf experience. They are still around. I can give you more details if you like.

[quote name='Roboat']My wife and I honeymooned about 15 years ago with French Country Waterways, on the barge [i]Esprit[/i]. It runs the Alsace-Lorraine area, west of the Rhine. It was an an excellent, top-shelf experience. They are still around. I can give you more details if you like.[/QUOTE]
Barging is a dedlightful experience and certainly makes you appreciate the [i][b]really huge cabins[/b][/i] on HAL ships! :)

After our transatlantic cruise on the Maasdam next July, we are going to do a Viking Rhine river cruise through Germany and ending up in Basel. We have done our own barge cruises through France, so this will be something completely different again. The river cruises are fun.

Jennie

We took a Danube cruise with Viking as part of a land/tour trip in 2001. Peter Deilmann is the premier river boat operation in Europe, and priced accordingly. Viking is more affordable. Not as luxurious, but it's not far behind Deilmann in service and accomodation.

My review and three others can be found at C@.
Three of the reviews are 4/5 stars, the most recent one, a Volga River cruise on Pakhamov, hated it. I think you can throw that one out. I omitted a rating, but would have given 4 stars, 5 if the food preparation had been better.

[url="http://www.cruise-addicts.com/reviews/listoneship.php?ShipRequest=0000000149"]http://www.cruise-addicts.com/reviews/listoneship.php?ShipRequest=0000000149[/url]

We did this river cruise from Vienna to Amsterdam via Danube,Main&Rhine,but with Grand Circle.
We went during a flood time and the ship could not make it under the bridges so we were bussed to alternate sites and rejoined the ship after it was able to proceed. They seemed to have a plan for every contingency. We were treated royaly and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.
I think you would experience similar treatment with Viking.
Take the trip. It will probably be one of your better experiences.

Archived