Do you kids have their own luggage?

BethCarp

This will be our first big vacation with the kids. We only have one large suitcase, one small and one garment bag. And various duffle bags. I know we'll need at least some new luggage. Not sure if we should just get another regular suitcase or maybe get the kids their own cute suitcases. Are those even a good quality? Are they big enough to even be worth it?

This will be our first big vacation with the kids. We only have one large suitcase, one small and one garment bag. And various duffle bags. I know we'll need at least some new luggage. Not sure if we should just get another regular suitcase or maybe get the kids their own cute suitcases. Are those even a good quality? Are they big enough to even be worth it?

Our kids do not have their own suitcases. I'm not sure about kids' suitcases being good quality, but I honestly do not think that they are big enough at all. I always pack our kids clothes with our clothes. One suggestion I do have for you is not to pack all of your clothes and all of your kids clothes in seperate suitcases. Pack some of everything in each bag. That way, in case one suitcase gets lost for whatever reason or does not make your flight (it shouldn't happen, but you just never know, right?) if you at least get some of your luggage, you will all have at least some clothes for everyone to use. I hope I'm explaining it correctly.

Hope that helps!

Get yourself a decent set of samsonites, a bit more expensive than most, but so worth it. Ours have travelled several thousand miles each and can still take more! We have three between three of us. Cross pack, just in case. Maybe get your kids a cute carry on each that they can put their favourite toys in.

I couldn't agree more with spreading the clothes amongst various suitcases! If you're flying, remember to check the weight limits if you choose to go with the "big" suitcase (learned this the hard way). Go for comfort not "cute" since it will probably be you pulling that luggage (not sure how old the kids are). Maybe consider the luggage that piggybacks each other. Good luck and have a wonderful time!! -Travelbugs

I think it depends on the age of the kids...........our grandkids are 12, 11 & 8............yes they have their own luggage.....for one thing, they need it when they go visit their dad every other weekend:(

But taking it on board, I think gives them personal responsibility for their own goods........

On that note, I do think on this cruise, I, grandma, have several large suitcases that they can borrow....so I am not sure if they may share one of the larger ones and one smaller ones...........I guess it depends on how much they pack:eek:

On another note........:D ..................the 12 year old is a girl, the 11 year old is a boy and the 8 year old is a girl.........so each one has their own issues..........:eek:

Skip the cute kid suitcases as far as clothes packing go. They do not fit much nor are very sturdy. We do use my daughters "Dora" suitcase but just for toys & snacks and only use as a carry on.

Check out Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Ross--they have many name brand luggage sets (Samsonite, Atlantic, etc..) for a fraction of the price.

OK thanks. We'll just get another regular suitcase. Our current set is Samsonite and we've been happy with that brand. I'll just have them use their own back packs to carry-on the plane and ship for their "stuff". We'll definitely be cross-packing and also packing swim suits in the carry-on.

For our trip, I know our kids will have their own luggage, but we will not use thos 'kid' suitcase, except for a carryon. They really dont hold much, espically for a longer cruise. My DS is getting ready for a trip to Disney with his grandparents and we purchased him his own luggege set @ Target for around $40. It has a Mid-sized suitcase, smaller overnight suitcase, carry-on sling bag, and a cosmetic bag. He will not be using the whole set, but the suitcase was nicely priced and does hold up well in travel (as DD has the same kind for a trip to Disney last year!) as it is a convenient size that they can even help pull it! (providing they are not too young):rolleyes:

I never thought of the spreading everyones clothes out but that is a FANTABLOUS idea!!!! See, this is why we like CC!!!!!

My 10 year old has his own black rolling suitcase (mainly because he refuses to use my berry pink colored suitcase :) ). I was never big on the kids suitcases because they are too small and they outgrow them so fast. They are fine for 1 or 2 nights but any more than that and there's not enough room.

I pack our kids clothes with ours for the cruise to try to cut down on the number of suitcases. I do let them take their own rolling backpacks with their dvd players, gameboys, books, journals, stuffed animals, etc. They are responsible to carry/roll these on plane and/or boat.

From experience, we went to visit relatives in a remote part of Canada last summer. When we arrived only my suitcase and my son's suitcase made it. My husband's suitcase didn't. Neither did the pack-n-play and the car seat. My poor husband wore the same clothes for a week and had to get a disposable razor from my 80 year-old aunt so he could shave in the morning!

We try and spread everything around now.

Cheryl

No but our kids are small, 8, 5 and 3. We usually bring 2 suitcases for a trip of a week or more. This time we had three, one small rolly bag more because I flew with the children while dh drove down with the two big bags. The two older ones brought a few toys in a child's rolly bag, which were taken as carry-ons. I checked my rolly bag. We then used that for the pre-cruise stay.

Remember that luggage stowage onboard can become an issue. It was easier to shove them under the beds during the cruise.

Just a tip for return packing; while spreading things around on the way out is a good idea, try to keep all the dirty stuff to one suitcase, or most of it for the return. Or by contrast, stick to one bag for the clean things so they can be put away more easily. This makes it much easier to unpack at home. I can filll up the washing machine right away and get the clean stuff put back more easily than analysizing each item...

This is especially true if you have several kids.

Our son has his little carry-on "Finding Nemo" backpack that he carries his toys, DVD player, etc... in. Other than that we pack all his stuff with us. He is currently 2 1/2 years old and has traveled at least four times with us since he was born.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Kids luggage usually does not roll very well. My 3 girls all have their own "suitcase" and are responsible for laying out their clothes (I give them a packing list and check it before it goes into the bag to make sure they haven't forgotten anything or packed anything I wouldn't want them to bring), putting it into the bag, and they handle the bag all the way from home to our destination. They also take a small "personal" bag with them if needed with things to do on the plane.

(I'm old fashioned here ... books, travel board games, etc ... no electronics. I hate hearing other people's video games and/or DVD players when I'm trying to read or watch the movie on the plane ... one flight we heard the SAME Barney video over and over and over again for 8 hours :eek: on the way to Hawaii ... the headphones were $2 on the plane and I heard mom tell the flight attendant that they didn't need them since they had their own player ... ok, but I needed you to buy them!)

For point of reference, my kids are 6, 10, and 13, and we've been doing this with each of them since they were 3 or 4 ... IMHO it helps develop their responsibility, teaches them to pack light (cause I'm not pulling that thing!) and they know exactly what they have and where it is, so I don't hear "Mommy, I don't have a ....."

What we've found is that many of the rolling backpacks make very good "suitcases" for kids. They are sturdier than the kid luggage that is on the market, easier to pull because the handles are designed for kids, and have lots of pockets for "extras" like water bottles, books and snacks on the outside so that you don't have to get inside to retrieve those things. Their formal wear or dressier clothing goes in with our stuff to keep it in good shape. Lands end makes some really nice rolling backpacks for under $50 ... we buy them for school and then when we travel they use them for suitcases. My oldest daughter now has "real" luggage ... but I haven't gone to the expense for the younger kids yet (she has a carry - on sized rolling bag with a "travel bag" that slips over the handle).

We got a carry-on size samsonite wheeled suitcase for my DS when he was 5 (he's just turned 8), and he has taken it, along with a small (kid-sized)backpack. The suitcase gets checked with our luggage and the backpack stays with him. We fly regularly, and he's responsible for his belongings, and manages fabulously. I make sure anything too heavy goes in one of our bags, and he helps pack his bags. It's made him feel responsible, and since we check the luggage and only need to get it from the car to the gate, or from the carousel to ground transportation, he doesn't tend to tire.

I just bought my daughter (4) her own "real" suitcase and matching backpack. If you check out overstock.com or ebags.com you can get some great deals. I found a discontinued, expandable 22" Jansport rolling case and matching backpack (for her carryon) at a great price in an adorable polka-dot pattern that she will be able to use for years to come. They are very sturdy and should hold up to being checked. I broke down and bought her these because I was trying to pack for 4 days at Grandma's in her Scooby-Doo pilot case and it just didn't cut it. I knew there was no way to pack for 7 days without a bigger case. She loves the new ones for the "big boat"!

My kids have their own roller suitcase and are completely responsible for it and picking up etc....after their own clothes toys etc... the parents can't carry all the bags! They like it and feel special! They got the same exact ones then got to decorate it with get pens etc... with their names and art.

Our kids each have their own set that contains a rolling suitcase and a carry-on style bag. They are adequate sized, cute and durable so far. They are perfect for our kids ~ they are camoflauge and came in pink green and blue. They use the pieces for everything from 10 day family vacations, week long church camp to overnighters at friends houses. They may not use them forever but I feel like they were a good investment for our family. They are also the perfect size for them to manage on their own ~ I have my own bags to worry about! lol Maybe we pack less than others, but we have never had a problem with packing space in them, especially summer/hot weather trips ~ their clothes are so small.

Hope you find what works for your family!

My kids have their own roller suitcase and are completely responsible for it and picking up etc....after their own clothes toys etc... the parents can't carry all the bags! They like it and feel special! They got the same exact ones then got to decorate it with get pens etc... with their names and art.

Exactly - my kids have their own luggage and have been responsible, with oversight, for packing and hauling them around since they were 7 or 8. It sure makes it easier when everyone can carry, or at least roll, their own belongings.

Archived