Naples - Marcello or Salvatore?

We're getting ready to book one. Please describe the stops and how you'd rate the day overall with each. Not a big shopper but do you spend most of the day in the car with Marcello? Really appreciate feedback. Rona

I haven't taken the tour yet but I will tell you how I decided for what it's worth. Naples is our last stop, so I figured we would be so tired after Rome & Florence/Pisa that it would be refreshing to tour off the beaten path to see a more local, less touristy scene with Marcello.

Hi Rgrams!

If you're looking for the most personalized tour possible, well I can't imagine a better experience than one touring with Drive Amalfi. We did not have Salvatore as our driver/guide (he was already booked) but we were treated to a most exceptional day with Marco, one of Salvatore's "trusted drivers". He was a delight and one of the highlights of our entire MED cruise. We were celebrating our anniversary the day we were in the Amalfi area. Drive Amalfi's services were exceptional ~ we saw the best the area has to offer IMHO ~ including a wonderful luncheon on a terrace overlooking Ravello ~ we thoroughly enjoyed visiting Pompeii, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Priano and more. Oh yes, back to the anniversary! Included with our most lovely and inexpensive luncheon (18 euros each including what seemed to be unlimited local wine, and the obiquitous lemoncello and meloncello!) was a ~surprise!~ celebratory bottle of chilled Proseco that was delicious with the yummiest cream and berried pie! The day was totally whatever we wanted to do with it and we made the most of it!

Hi Mixx,

Could you tell me how much time you had actually walking around each of the villages you saw: Positano, Ravello, Pompei, Amalfi? Did you also see Sorrento?

Did you have any free time on your own, or were you accompanied 100% by your guide?

Is there time to walk in and out of shops, if desired?

Thanks!

Just back from 8-8 Star Princess cruise. We used Salvatore for a wonderful tour of the Amalfi Coast. He could not have been nicer. He was also very knowledgeable without being a "know it all". We just loved every moment of our day with him and lunch was a real pleasure also. I highly recommend Salvatore and am very thankful to this board for making me aware of him. He truly made our day memorable!

Kreemer: Just back from the Star? I'll be on her in September, just wondering if you had any comments about the cruise you'd like to share. Anything you wish you knew before you went, surprises, pleasant or otherwise? Thanks!

BTW, we have Marcello's driver booked. We'll let everyone know what we think.

So far we've been in touch with Marcello who is available for 550 for a van up to 6 people. Just e-mailed Salatore. We'll keep reading experiences and make our final decision soon. We are a party of 4 (2 couples). As it gets closer maybe we'll get another couple to join us. Thanks for all feedback. Also read about a few groups who skipped Pompeii and did Capri (hydrofoil) on their own in the AM. Do you think this is a mistake?

Hello Psygist!

The time spent in each of the towns/villages varied. Generally, Marco would drop us off giving us his suggestions as to what to visit in a specific spot with a rough estimate of how long we would need (this was flexible of course). There was sufficient shopping and sightseeing time, but we didn't lag too much, knowing how much we wanted to see in one day. Sorrento only a passing visit, we spent more time in the smaller villages. Again, it's really up to you! You'll find yourself with the most accommodating driver/guide imaginable with Marco in particular. He coached us with our Italian (at our request) shared many interesting personal stories, along with the highlights of the coast as we were expertly chauffered about!

At first I was (mildly) disappointed that Salvatore was not to be driving us, but booked anyway, now I can't imagine having a better time than what we shared with Marco!

Mixx

just got back from 8-13 galaxy cruise. we took the all day amalfi coast pompeii tour with marcello. we really enjoyed him. marcello clearly has strong opinions about many things. we found him entertaining, sincere and fun. he really frowns upon the touristy locations, but he will take you wherever you want to go. his feeling is, the more you stop and shop, the less you can see of the amalfi coast.

we covered so much ground with him and he took us to a really nice restaurant outside of amalfi. we did the amalfi drive first to beat the traffic and then went to pompeii after lunch. marcello arranged for us to have a tour guide who was awesome.

marcello makes sure to stop for pictures, he took us to a local off the beaten path market where we could buy fresh olive oil produced on the property of the shop.

marcello talks a lot, is very proud of his region and knows alot about it. before we started he asked us what kind of day we wanted to have. do we want to shop? tour? etc. he will do whatever your preference is, however his preference is to cover a lot of ground and give you an opportunity to see things that tourists don't normally get to see. we had to ask him to stop in sorrento so we could take a few pictures, otherwise he would have driven right through. his feeling was to get past the traffic area's so we could enjoyt our drive along the coast. we are glad we did this. a great day!

I just booked Salvatore from Drive Amalfi for October 2005 cruise with RCL Brilliance. There are 4 of us in our group.

Anyone want to join us? Thanks Mike and mixx for your praise of him. Your comments are what prompted me to chose his excursion.

HiltonHead: I don't think they have a website. You just email them at *****.

Donna

Archived