Your "Rent-a-Car-in Villefranche" experience!

Hi,

Has anyone rented a car in Villefranche?

I'm having problems finding anyone who can rent a car from 0800-2000.

Any advice or recommendations?

1) Should I wait until we are in Villefranche to rent?

2) Are the car rentals located close to where the ship is docked? How far is "VILLEFRANCHE SAONE" located from the dock/port?

3) Is parking in Villefranche i.e. Nice, Eze, Antibes an issue i.e. limited, expensive, etc...?

4) How easy is it to drive in the areas around Villefranche?

5) Which car rental company did you use?

More advice requested. Thanks!;)

We used Hertz. The reason you may not have found it (or other companies) is that their rental office is located in the adjacent town of Port de Beaulieu sur Mer. When you reserve (you need to call on this one vs. doing it online in order to make this special request), they will note in their records that you are requesting pick-up/drop off at the Villefranche cruise ship port terminal. A Hertz van arrived that morning, took my husband & other pax to the Hertz office (too many renters that day for all persons in each renter's party to go), my husband returned about 30 minutes later to pick up the rest of our party in the rental car. At the end of the day, actually, it was dark, so maybe 9p or 10p?, we simply left the car in the parking lot there at the port as per Hertz's instructions. I believe we had to pay an additional charge, perhaps 10-15E, for the convenience of pick-up/return at the port, but it was worth it (vs. having to turn the car in at the office in Beaulieu sur Mer, which closes at 6p, I think).

Good luck!

Hi-

Just thought I'd throw this in-I don't know about renting a car, but we're planning on taking the train from Villefranche to Monaco, back to Eze, and over to Nice before going back to Villefranche and the ship. We've done a good bit of research, and it seems pretty easy-especially when we found out that Monaco is only a 15 minute train ride from Villefranche. The train is pretty inexpensive and runs quite frequently. There are lots of threads around here with information about it, if you want to explore this route further. :)

Hi, April.

Yes, training sounds easy in the area. We like training. However, we are a party of 4, so the economics of touring out of Villefrance definitely favor a car vs. taking multiple trains. Also, you can see a lot more in the south of France by car than by train, which fairly limits you to the places the train goes & the distance from the train station your feet are willing to take you! Now, that's not to say that those aren't wonderful places. Wow! The vistas are amazing, and these towns are so charming and special. But, we have road trip personalities and love the freedom to explore. We drove all over and had a great day! So...for like-minded travelers, a car is super in Villefranche. We rented a car in Livorno, too--did Pisa and Florence. And let's see, we got one on Santorini, also! Other than that, no more cars...we took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome, it was super efficient and cheap!

Have a great trip :)

Can anyone tell me what they paid for the rental and more importantly, was the car an automatic or manual transmission? I can't drive a stick, so I'm not sure this is possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

LINNY

Can anyone tell me what they paid for the rental and more importantly, was the car an automatic or manual transmission? I can't drive a stick, so I'm not sure this is possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

LINNY

You can get quotes for all kinds of cars on Hertz's website. They do have automatics.

Archived