If u cant cruise then you have to fly

spailing

My wife and I had been looking forward to our cruise to Fiji & Tonga for the best part of a year. We had left home a week before and drove our way up the South Island of N.Z, caught the ferry, then spent a few days in Wellington before resuming our journey to Auckland to catch the Pacific Star in 2 days time.We stopped for breakfast at a place called Bulls and while standing in line the headline of the N.Z Herald jumped out at me "Cruise from Hell", with shaking hands I picked up the paper to discover that the cruise was cancelled. We continued our journey North as we still had motel bookings for 2 nights and there was no way I was going home, when on page 3 of the very same paper that had brought us such heartache a short while ago was an advert for Radisson a brand new resort on Denerau Island. We made a quick decision and pulled over, rang the number and got a real special deal which was $1200 for 6 days airfares included in a super new resort with room upgrade (to die for folks).So we got to Fiji but not Tonga, took a day trip to Suva but was not greatly impressed but hey been there done that, Visited some markets and villages, tried some Kava, went shopping at Nadi and was very happy to have met the local Fijians who except for the occasional con man we found to be a totally friendly welcoming people.Well as I said "been there" so now I have my refund and a 25% off next voyage before July 08 I would still like to do the South Pacific cruise thing so now looking at Vanuatu / New Caledonia for next June,if nothing else gives me something to dream about for 10 months.

Good on you, Its hard to make a big decision like that at the last minute, but it sure sounds like it paid off. My inlaws are sailing with us on Star this Saturday, and if the cruise was going to be cancelled, they had the travel agent get a trip lined up to Singapore..Fortunately they didnt have to take it, as we are now all leaving this Saturday.:)

Sounds like you found yourself a fantastic holiday deal! Well done :) Any photos of Fiji to share with us? I'm really interested to see Suva when we go next Feb as i've never been before. I'm a little bit wary though as i've heard a lot of reports of the con men at the wharf and I just can't say no :(

Sounds like you found yourself a fantastic holiday deal! Well done :) Any photos of Fiji to share with us? I'm really interested to see Suva when we go next Feb as i've never been before. I'm a little bit wary though as i've heard a lot of reports of the con men at the wharf and I just can't say no :(

Jo, you'll need to lean to say 'No' before you run the guantlet outside the wharf.... Certainly to anyone who want's to carve your name in a stick. Don't even give them your name - they have it engraved and be hitting you up for the money before you can say 'dodgy native'.

This is Suva from the ship. My advice is do a tour that gets you out of Suva into the country side.

Jo, you'll need to lean to say 'No' before you run the guantlet outside the wharf.... Certainly to anyone who want's to carve your name in a stick. Don't even give them your name - they have it engraved and be hitting you up for the money before you can say 'dodgy native'. My advice is do a tour that gets you out of Suva into the country side.

We had that one pulled on us too.They make out you are a long lost friend and get your first name.We just kept on walking and did not stop or respond ,but one in our party did and he was surrounded by them.They try to carve your name on a small wooden canoe and then want you to buy it.By the end of the day there were kids running around the streets with a carving in each hand , trying to sell them off for a dollar.

Archived