Aloha

Monte

I just got off the phone w/NCLA and I fly out on Oct. 18th for safety training.

If you all would give me your opinions on the postive/negative things about the POA perhaps once I get settled in I could help improve some of these areas. I want to help in creating a positive experience for the guests & the crew.

Thanks and hope to see you onboard!

Monte,

i am a former crew member from the ss independence and the ncl sky. i wanted to let you know whats in store for you!

the job that you were hired for is more than meets the eye. as an asst. ex. housekeeper you will need to focus on the job itself before worring about making the experience better for everyone because the housekeeping areas are not as big of a problem as other areas are. you job will not only focus on the guest areas but also the crew areas, whre cleanliness is a must as well. you will also need to know about all of the crew cabins, like where they all are (its a maze in the crew area), how many births are in each cabin, what department is in each cabin. the asst. ex. housekeeper is in charge of all the crew areas and will oversee the public area. what you will also need to learn about is, the room services, laundry, coast guard & fda requirements (there are inspections twice a year). also, you will be a zone leader or muster leader for the safty drill. you probly will be required to be a lifeboatsman (the trainning is a week long class in pinney point, md.), who must be able to operate a life boat in case of emergency. lets not forget that you must learn every room stewards, utility bellperson, laundy persons name and section and job duty. working on a cruise ship is alot more demanding and a much more faster pace than a land base hotel. i hope that you can make an impact, but there will be alot to learn first even though your an 11 year veteran at a land base hotel.

That's great, Monte!

We were just on the Wind. I got to speak with an officer, David McCarroll, the Asst. Systems Manager from the USA. He will be coming on the POA in May or so. Good news, because he's a great guy. If you see him, tell him Brian says hi.

He mentioned that he was going to POA in part because he now is 6 months on, 2 months off but will be 4 months on, 2 months off. He also will be going onto the Pride of America.

The reason I talked with David is because I am considering a career on cruise ships in the IT department. It's still several years off, but NCL and NCLA seem to be great companies, especially since NCLA will have 5 ships by 2007.

Good luck!

-Brian

Yes Monte Congrats!!

We met many nice crew members during our twelve day voyage on the PoA. I know you will have to work hard but the crew had a good time too. Tell Charles Nahale that Todd and Tony also said hi and we miss all the fun evenings in the Plantation club.

Congrats Monte - when will you actually start your job on the ship. We will be on the Nov. 7th Pride sailing and hope to see you. We can't wait! We are spending 6 days in Honolulu prior to the cruise to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday. Hope to meet you on board. SueZ

I'm not sure of the exact date. I start training on 10/18 and depending on if I pass or not, I should be onboard about a week after training. Stop by and say "hi".....enjoy your cruise!

im not working there anymore. as many others are not as well. i was given the shaft by NCL! NCL has gotten rid of many key figures there.

just some food for thought . . . you should pass the STCW trainning (its designed to pass), which is a week long and requires firefighting and fire prevention, water survival, first aid, social responsibilities. but, before you can work on the ship you do need a merchant mariners document from the coast guard, which you will need to aply for and takes up wards of 8 weeks to process. then you can start!

ssindy -

Are you working on another cruise line, or have you found other avenues to pursue? Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. Noone said anything about this 8 week application process....wow, maybe I won't get on the ship til the end of Nov.?

David showed me his Merchant Marine card... he said that though he had the card, he still needs the safety certification logo on it. He goes a week before h e is scheduled to go on the POA to an old army base to get that training from the coast guard. I think the 8 week thing may just be how long it takes for the paperwork to be completed of the MM Card... I may be wrong though.

-Brian

Thanks! NCLA said that I would be going to Hawaii for the safety training program....we'll see. I'm looking forward to working on the ship and hopefully have a positive experience. I didn't realize how much paperwork is involved to work on a cruise ship, boy they really check you out! LOL.

Archived