Athens on our own???

My boyfriend & I will be sailing on the Star Princess November 21, 2007 & will be in Athens (we port in Piraeus) on Saturday, November 24th. The major sights we would like to see are the Acropolis, the National Archaeological Museum (or other museum that you may have thought was better), the Plaka, some of the Greek God/Goddess Temples (Poseidon, Zeuz, etc), & Old Olympic Stadium. Would it be possible (and relatively simple) for us to take the train from Piraeus into Athens & then visit these sites on our own or would it be easier to do a ship excursion or a private guide? Any other suggestions of "must see" places in Athens??? Our ship docks at 6:00 am & leaves at 5:45 pm. Does anyone know how far the Metro stop is from the cruise ship area (walking)??? I also found a website that does walking tours...any recommendations??? This will be our first time to Athens & we want to do as much as possible, but trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Thanks much!!!

Ann =)

Late November is a perfect time to visit Athens. The weather is likely to be very comfortable and it will be consierably less crowded then. Actually, I think November ->early March is the bet time to visit.

I've not cruised into Athens, but I know there are lots of posts here on getting to trains station from there. I suggest using the search toll. Once on the metro, it is easy to get around. The Arch. Museum is certain the one to see. It is a walk to there from the nearest metro stop, so you might consider hoping a bus or taking a taxi - to save time if nothing else. It isn't that long a walk, though.. maybe 15 minutes at a leisurely pace.

I must admit that I have never understood the attraction of Plaka. Mostly tourist traps. To each, her/his own, of ocurse.

The Acropolis, of course, is a msut see. I would also vist the Agora (the Ancient Agora, not the Roman one) which is just north of the Acropolis. This is the birth palce of both modern demrocacy and commerce.

If the new Acropolis museum has opened by the time you are there (currently, the old one is closed and the new one ain't ready yet), it should be worth a short stop.

If you want a guide for the Acropolis/Agora, there are licensed guides jsut in front of the ticket booth/enterence gate. I would start on the nroth (i.e., do the Agora first) then the Acropolis and take the back way out past The Theater of Posiden (the birthplace of both comedy and tradegy).

This route takes you to the edge of the Plaka and a metro stop. Then taxi or metro/bus or metro/walk to the Museum. This way is downhill (except for climbing the Acropolis, of course) which is why I suggest it.

If you want to see the Temple of Zeus, it is close to the above mentioned metro stop at the south end of Plaka.

I wouldn't bother will the Olympic statium simply becasue you already have a VERY full day.

Enjoy your trip.

Paul

The metro station is a 25 minute walk from the port, or there is a local bus that you can take - I've posted a link below that has some helpful info.

We took the metro - went to the Acropolis first, then walked through the Plaka to see the Ancient and Roman Agoras, Tower of Winds, on to the Temple of Zeus, the old Olympic Stadium, and back to Syntagma Square. (We left the port at 8 a.m. and with almost 2 hours at the Acropolis & lunch in the Plaka we were in Syntagma Square by about 1:30.) From there we headed by subway to the Archaelological Museum and since our time was limited, I used Rick Steve's 'Highlights of the Museum' to head directly to the 'must sees'. From there we walked to and up Lykabettus Hill (but we were in port till 11 p.m. so had extra time.) I think if you head back after the museum, you'll be able to fit it all in. If you enjoy walking, I don't think you need to hire a guide for the day in Athens.

There is a wealth of info on this forum ... if you use the "search this forum" bar on the top right of the forum page, and just type in 'Athens', you'll see lots of threads with info to help you.

Link to a thread to get you started: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=578407&highlight=athens+metro

Link to Rick Steve's Athens (we used this for Acropolis and Archaeological Museum guide material) http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/greece/athens.htm

Map: http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Location/AthensMap/Athensmap.htm

Depending on which cruise line you are on, there may be a free bus to the entrance to the port. We were there last October (a great time to be there, so November should be good too) and we took a ship's shore excursion into the Acropolis and then left the tour (if you ever do this, make sure and tell your group's leader otherwise they will be looking for you and holding up everyone else), walked for two or three hours and then took the Metro back. We were able to walk about 15 minutes to the entrance to the port but Galaxy was moored at the far end of the port so we were not allowed to walk directly to her. We had to board a free bus which took us right to the ship. We are big walkers and thought we would have preferred to walk but when we saw how distant Galaxy was, we were thrilled that we had the bus.

I was in Athens last summer and did one of the Princess shore excurions. We are also on this cruise and plan to do Athens on our own. I have found it better to go on your own. The reason why is with the tour group you have to wait on other people or you might want to spend a longer time at one place. Athens will be pretty simple to walk around. Princess does have a shuttle service into town but it is 39.00 each and does not leave until 9:30. We have not decided yet if we will take the shuttle into athens or another form of transportation.

My boyfriend & I will be sailing on the Star Princess November 21, 2007 & will be in Athens (we port in Piraeus) on Saturday, November 24th. The major sights we would like to see are the Acropolis, the National Archaeological Museum (or other museum that you may have thought was better), the Plaka, some of the Greek God/Goddess Temples (Poseidon, Zeuz, etc), & Old Olympic Stadium. Would it be possible (and relatively simple) for us to take the train from Piraeus into Athens & then visit these sites on our own or would it be easier to do a ship excursion or a private guide? Any other suggestions of "must see" places in Athens??? Our ship docks at 6:00 am & leaves at 5:45 pm. Does anyone know how far the Metro stop is from the cruise ship area (walking)??? I also found a website that does walking tours...any recommendations??? This will be our first time to Athens & we want to do as much as possible, but trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Thanks much!!!

Ann =)

The Metro is about 20 minutes walk from the port - the Plaka is 1.20 Euro return and takes about 15 minutes.

We jumped on a Happy train which took us up to the Acropolis (20 Euros for for of us - return trip). we didn't realise that the train did a tour of the city including the odean etc, which was a bonus!

6 Euros entry to the Acropolis

The Metro is about 20 minutes walk from the port - the Plaka is 1.20 Euro return and takes about 15 minutes.

We jumped on a Happy train which took us up to the Acropolis (20 Euros for for of us - return trip). we didn't realise that the train did a tour of the city including the odean etc, which was a bonus!

6 Euros entry to the Acropolis

What is a Happy train?

Thank you both for your input on this!!! It seems like it is definitely doable on our own, and much cheaper that the Princess Tour (and hopefully be able to see more).

LikeCrusing...Would you & your group (I think your name is Crystal + guest if I remember right from our other board) like to join my boyfriend & I and explore Athens as a small group??? We would probably do the Acropolis first & then if we wanted to stay together after that we could, or go off & do our own thing after. That way we could hire a guide together & split the cost. We for sure want to see the Acropolis, & I'm just starting to do research on some of the other things.

I think if we decide to do this on our own, we'll probably want to take the bus / train into the city, because it seems silly to have to wait over 2 hours from when we dock to get on the bus. Even if stuff doesn't open until 9:00 in Athens, we could get into the city before the crowds & be one of the first to get in at the Acropolis. (I am SO not a morning person though, but to see all this will be worth it!!!)

KevBirch - Thank you for info on the Happy Train. I will definitely have to do some more research on it. A 20 minute walk from the ship to the Metro isn't bad either.

Happy travels to all,

Ann =)

Thank you to all for your quick & very informative responses!!!

ab0si - Thank you for the recommended order of places to visit & the insight on Agora.

Susan-M - Thank you for the helpful weblinks & an approx timetable. Rick Steve's Athens website looks interesting (more stuff to print off & add to the binder!).

DrKoob - We will be sailing on the Star Princess, so if you have any insight as to whether there will be a bus to the Metro, that would be great. Thank you for the heads up on leaving the group tour - right now, we have one scheduled (just so we have SOMETHING to do) to see the Acropolis & the Nat'l Arch. Museum.

Happy travels to all!!!

Ann =)

I was just in Athens this past June with the Carnival Freedom and we did it on our own. When you leave the main ships terminal at Pirasus just keep the water to your left and keep walking to you see the foot bridge that goes over the road. You will be at the Metro station at this time. I would suggest you take the Metro is the station which is close to the National Archaeological Museur. If you are standing in front of the Museum, go around the cornor on the left side and you will find some city buses. This is the 400 City Bus line which is also a hop on hop off bus. It only cost 5 Euros per person and you can not beat it. Here is a link to check it out: http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?pageid=105. I think they told me the bus runs about every 20 minutes or so and it will take you to all the sights of he city.

We did Athens on our own in July.

Maybe it was the heat but the walk to the metro from the Port seemed a lot longer than 20 minutes. At least it was flat. We were the second couple of the ship and there were no taxis or shuttle buses etc.

Not far from the gate of the port there seemed to be some bus terminals so somebody may be able to give advice as to which bus you can catch to take you to the station and from the station back again.

Once we were on the train it was perfect. We went to Monastrika so did not have to change trains and then walked up to the Acropolis via the Tower of the Four Seasons.

David

Yo Philly - I know you are on our cruise board as well, and was wondering what your plans are for Athens???

Ann, today was my designated "Do Research on Athens Day", and I now have a much better idea of the possibilities & limitations of our short port stay. See my response to you on our Roll Call board.

Travelingmcmahans, thanks for the funny blog about your Happy Train. I'll leave that for a return visit!!

Ok...so it's always fun when you can answer your own questions!!! LOL!!! Here is some info that I found on travel from the cruise ship to Athens. If anybody knows anything different (or if I am not correct), PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Otherwise, here goes...

For all others who are considering doing Athens on our own, here are a couple helpful websites:

Line 1 of the train/subway that leaves Piraeus to Athens:

http://www.isap.gr/index.asp

(Then click the little Brittish flag in the upper right hand corner to change to English - unless you're fluent in Greek!)

From there, we can take Lines 2 & 3 throughout Greece:

http://www.ametro.gr/index_flash.htm

(Again, the English version is quite helpful - they have a map of the train system on this site, too.)

Buss 400 is a tourist bus that takes you around to some of the major sites in Athens. Here are a couple links that tell more about it:

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/wts.htm

http://gogreece.about.com/od/athensg.../athensbus.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ns_Attica.html

Info on pricing for public transportation:

http://www.athensguide.com/practical...ctransport.htm

Hope this helps!!!

Hi,

We will be in Athens in November and are interested in taking the hop on hop off bus. But I got the impression on the site that it only runs thru September. Has anyone done this bus in November?

Thanks

Diana

Thanks much!!!

Ann =)

I spent 3 days in Athens in June. You can totally do everything on your own. Take the metro to the Acropolis (the metro is .80 euros). You'll have to purchase a ticket to go to the Parthenon and be sure to SAVE YOUR TICKET because it also gets you into the Tower of the Winds archaeological site (in the Monistiraki neighborhood which is adjacent to the Plaka), Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the Agora.

From the Acropolis you can walk to the Plaka (it takes about 2 whole minutes). The Plaka is pretty touristy, but it's "old". There are a few small Byzantine churches to look at and alot of shops. I suggest going to the Monistiraki neighborhood for lunch. It's got tourists, but not like the Plaka. There are lots of chic and trendy cafes in Monistiraki. After lunch you can visit Tower of the Winds for a few minutes. Then walk back and out of the Plaka to Hadrian's Arch, which is across the street from the main entrance of the Plaka. Follow the path and you'll arrive at the entrance to the Temple of Olympian Zeus in about 10 minutes.

From there you can walk to the old Olympic Stadium and stop for a few minutes (but really, it's not that much to see). Personally, I would skip this.

From there (or from the Plaka) you can walk to Syntagma Square (or take the metro) and then the National Museum is a hop away.

I use DK's Eyewitness Guid for Mainland Greece which had good walking tours for Monistiraki and Plaka. And it's well illustrated for the Acropolis.

Here are pictures I took while I was in Greece. The first few pages are Athens.

http://www.pickle.com/stbk1998/107

fonseu (Diana) - Unfortunately it looks as though it only runs from June - September. I went to the website to verify:

http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?pageid=105

If it doesn't come up in english, go to

http://www.oasa.gr/

and click on "english" in the upper right hand corner, then click on the Hop on Hop Off tourist info button. This is where it says only June - September (probably the busy tourist season). I sent an e-mail to them & I'll let you know when (and if) I hear back.

When are you going to be in Athens? We will be there November 24th.

Ann =)

I just came back froma Greek Cruise last month. I had a wonderful time. We did Athens on our own and it worked very will. It was 45C the day we were there so we decided not to walk to the Train. The walk we heard is about 25 minutes, but quite straight forward. We took a cab into Athens which cost us 11 euros. To get a cab under 20 or 25 euros you have to walk onto the street and away from the taxi stands. We got to the accropolis when it opened at 8:00, which was perfect because we were there before the bus loads of tourist arrived. They were arriving as we were leaving. After we walked through the Angora area which I really enjoyed and is right by the acropolis. Then we went to the Parlaiment buildings for the changing of the guard and finally to the plaka area. We had a great day. The Temple of Zeus and the Olympic Stadium we could see from the top of the acropolis so considering the heat we opted not to walk to those places but I'm sure you would have enough time to do that.

Hope you have a good trip.

From the Acropolis you can walk to the Plaka (it takes about 2 whole minutes). The Plaka is pretty touristy, but it's "old". There are a few small Byzantine churches to look at and alot of shops. I suggest going to the Monistiraki neighborhood for lunch. It's got tourists, but not like the Plaka. There are lots of chic and trendy cafes in Monistiraki. After lunch you can visit Tower of the Winds for a few minutes. Then walk back and out of the Plaka to Hadrian's Arch, which is across the street from the main entrance of the Plaka. Follow the path and you'll arrive at the entrance to the Temple of Olympian Zeus in about 10 minutes.

From there you can walk to the old Olympic Stadium and stop for a few minutes (but really, it's not that much to see). Personally, I would skip this.

From there (or from the Plaka) you can walk to Syntagma Square (or take the metro) and then the National Museum is a hop away.

This is exactly what I've been trying to figure out. I have all these maps of the area, but it's been hard to figure out how long of a walk it is uphill from the metro to the Parthenon.

I see that the metro from Piraeus stops at Thissio and then Monastiraki? Which is closest to the entrance to the Acropolis?

I see that the metro from Piraeus stops at Thissio and then Monastiraki? Which is closest to the entrance to the Acropolis?

If you take the metro from Piraeus (green line) to Omonia and transfer to the red line to go to the Acropoli stop, you will come out right at the base of the Acropolis. (You could also transfer from green to blue to red, but I think that would take longer than going one extra stop to Omonia.)http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Maps/Athens/Metro/AthensMetroMap.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Hotels/Athens/images/Metro/AthensMetroMap_print.htm&h=480&w=504&sz=30&tbnid=EGMgRLtiwINIxM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dathens%2Bmetro%2Bmap%26um%3D1&start=3&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=3

This is exactly what I've been trying to figure out. I have all these maps of the area, but it's been hard to figure out how long of a walk it is uphill from the metro to the Parthenon.

The walk up the hill from the metro stop to the ticket office and up to the Parthenon is steep, but not so steep that it is unmanageable. There are lots of places to stop and rest and enjoy the view.

From Piraeus, you'll want to take the green line, switch to the blue line at Monistiraki stop, then after one stop switch again at the Syntagma stop to the red line. Get off at the Acropolis stop (one stop) and you're at the base of the Acropolis.

http://www.greece-athens.com/metro/images/athens_metro_map3.jpg

Frommers writes: The climb up to the Acropolis is steep; if you don't want to walk, ask if the planned elevator has been installed yet.

However, I was there in June and I didn't see any elevator. Everyone in my group walked slowly up the Acropolis and one lady was 79 years old.

The walk up the hill from the metro stop to the ticket office and up to the Parthenon is steep, but not so steep that it is unmanageable. There are lots of places to stop and rest and enjoy the view.

From Piraeus, you'll want to take the green line, switch to the blue line at Monistiraki stop, then after one stop switch again at the Syntagma stop to the red line. Get off at the Acropolis stop (one stop) and you're at the base of the Acropolis.

http://www.greece-athens.com/metro/images/athens_metro_map3.jpg

Frommers writes: The climb up to the Acropolis is steep; if you don't want to walk, ask if the planned elevator has been installed yet.

However, I was there in June and I didn't see any elevator. Everyone in my group walked slowly up the Acropolis and one lady was 79 years old.

The elevator is there and has been since autumn of 2006 (or earlier). It doesn't look like an elevator .. just an open platform.

Paul

Thanks to all, I think I have a plan:

- Depart ship at 7:30.

- Green line from Piraeus to Omonia station. Transfer to Red Line to Acropolis. See Acropolis sites. Spend about 2-1/2 hours here.

- Walk through the Plaka to Hadrian's Arch and Olympian Zeus.

- Wander through Monastiraki and have lunch.

- Around 1:30, take Green Line to Victoria station. Walk 5 minutes to the National Archeological Museum. Spend 2 hours here.

- Around 4:00, take the Green Line back to Piraeus.

- Ship departs 5:45.

Do you see any holes in my plan?

Re: the elevator...can anyone ride it?

Thanks to all, I think I have a plan:

- Depart ship at 7:30.

- Green line from Piraeus to Omonia station. Transfer to Red Line to Acropolis. See Acropolis sites. Spend about 2-1/2 hours here.

- Walk through the Plaka to Hadrian's Arch and Olympian Zeus.

- Wander through Monastiraki and have lunch.

- Around 1:30, take Green Line to Victoria station. Walk 5 minutes to the National Archeological Museum. Spend 2 hours here.

- Around 4:00, take the Green Line back to Piraeus.

- Ship departs 5:45.

Do you see any holes in my plan?

Re: the elevator...can anyone ride it?

Looks good to me! You cut out the Olympic Stadium huh? I don't blame you.

Archived