NCL Dawn Sailaway Actual Time from NYC

walkabout07

My nephews (9, 7, 4) live in NYC and would love to come down to the pier and "wave bye bye" to auntie's ship as it heads to Canada. The itinerary indicates that we leave NYC at 4:00 p.m. Does anyone know what time the Dawn actually "pulls away" from the NYC pier. I will want to discourage the visit if they will have to wait around for hours. Thanks.

you know...i think you actually do leave the pier on the time stated on your itinerary. i mean it's pretty close...depends on how people follow directions during the muster drill (3:30pm).

BUT...i'm thinking...where would they stand to wave to you? the only place i can think of is the parking deck.

anyone else have ideas on this?

you know...i think you actually do leave the pier on the time stated on your itinerary. i mean it's pretty close...depends on how people follow directions during the muster drill (3:30pm).

BUT...i'm thinking...where would they stand to wave to you? the only place i can think of is the parking deck.

anyone else have ideas on this?

They won't be able to enter the terminal area without a ticket due to post 9/11 restrictions. Unless you park elsewhere and walk in, its a rather secure area.

They won't be able to enter the terminal area without a ticket due to post 9/11 restrictions. Unless you park elsewhere and walk in, its a rather secure area.

yeah i figured. from the spirit couple weeks ago...i recall that one of the parking decks faces one side of the ship. but i guess you would need to show your tickets?

hopefully the kids will be able to wave to her. then again...they can always stand say along Pier 40...or anywhere down the hudson. i know the OP asked about the time of departure...but i think location is probably more important? i mean, to get that Love Boat type of wave.

We left about 2.5 hours late back in January due to a problem with the fueling barge being late. So while it may not be common that the ship leaves more than an hour after the scheduled time, it does sometimes happen.

There is security on the parking deck. I don't think they allow people to loiter up there these days. I know that I've seen security tell people that they can't stand at the edge of the parking deck and also tell people to put away their cameras up there.

While they won't necessarily see you, they can watch the ship sail from Battery Park. This is where the ferry leaves to go to the Statue of Liberty, you can see her from there. Your ship will pass her, therefore they will be able to see your ship sailing. Plus they can take pictures if they would like, unlike at the pier.

There is the Hudson River Park with a bike path it runs from the NYC Sanitation dept (before the pier) to Tribeca. http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/parkmap/clinton.htm there should be a few spots along there where they can watch. FYI it runs in front of the ship terminal and there are buildings which obstruct the view there. Also the USS Intrepid is in dry dock, so they could not view from there either.

Hope this helps,

Laura

Archived