st. Thomas/ St. John Trunk bay question

Is it better to take the ferry straight from Charlotte Amalie or the Ferry from Redhook? I know there is a difference in price and departure times, but is there anything else to take into consideration.

I just want to make sure Im using the the right transportation. being so far away from the ship makes me nervous but, the Mariner doesnt depart until 8:00pm so that give me PLENTY of time to get back.

I checked on the port of call board but I didnt see anything there regarding my question.

Thanks

Andrea

We took the ferry a few years ago when on Celebrity Century. I think I went on info on the St. Thomas board. I think it was frequency that decided us. anyway, we had plenty of time & were able to go shopping in St. thomas in the afternoon. Have a great trip.

We have done the trip both ways, preferring the cab ride to Red Hook and then the ferry over to St. Johns. It feels quicker to do it this way. The boat ride straight from the pier ALWAYS seems rough and can make some seasick.

Others will probably have a different answer I am sure.

Tim

We took a cab over to Red Hook and then the ferry over to St. John. THEN we took a cab to the beach. By the time we were done, seems like we spent about $25 a person or more. Might have been cheaper to just take a beach tour with the cruise line! A day at the St. John beaches beats shopping hands down! The sand is like powder and the water like bath water.... my favorite place to visit ..... so far!

HAVE FUN!:)

"A day at the St. John beaches beats shopping hands down! The sand is like powder and the water like bath water...."

It's good to have your feedback. I was daydreaming yesterday about my upcoming Radiance cruise and was looking at shore excursions for St. John's. Sounds like this is something that needs to go our my list.

Lately the Charlotte Amalie ferry has been on again/off again, it also doesn't leave as often. Contract disputes. IMHO the best plan is to take the Red Hook ferry to St. John. On the way back the two ferries leave from the same place so you can decide then which one to take back. The price works out about the same as does the time. The Charlotte Amalie ferry has a short cab ride/long ferry ride while the Red Hook ferry has a long cab ride/short ferry ride.

St John / Trunk Bay is without a doubt the best stop the DW and I have taken. Some warned us about crowds however we went early on our Radiance cruise and had the place to ourselves for the most part and crowds never appeared. We had the same questions you do. We left the ship early, took a cab to Redhook, ferry over, another cab to the beach. It was mostly painless and the most absolute beatiful day at the beach we have ever had. The snorkling trail was good as well. You will love it, but leave early, then you will have pleanty of time to come back or go shopping then later in the day. I believe the price of $25.00 per person for all three legs may be a little low, I recall more like 35 - 40 per person (with tip). Still far less then anything offered by RCCL and you can come and go and stay as long as you want. Have the cab stop on the hill that overlooks the beach, spectacular view.

ENJOY

Is it better to take the ferry straight from Charlotte Amalie or the Ferry from Redhook? I know there is a difference in price and departure times, but is there anything else to take into consideration.

I just want to make sure Im using the the right transportation. being so far away from the ship makes me nervous but, the Mariner doesnt depart until 8:00pm so that give me PLENTY of time to get back.

I checked on the port of call board but I didnt see anything there regarding my question.

Thanks

Andrea

County Bus runs regular $1 one way to Red Hook, Ferry $5 one way (62+ $1.25) Ferry runs every hour from 8AM to Midnight. Need a Taxi to Trunk Bay an dthey have snorkel equipment there is you need it. Trip on Bus about 30 Mins. Ferry is about 2o Mins.

Archived