Port Change: Kiel to Lubeck

kcbarker

I noticed that the Journey's Baltic cruise departing 07/07/08 has changed the stop in Kiel to Lubeck. The dock time is 7am-6pm. We were planning on going into Berlin form Warenemunde and then looking at doing Lubeck and Hamburg from Kiel. With this port change, it would be possible to go back and see Wismar and Schwerin, or is going to the original port of Kiel a better choice? Also, should Hamburg be considered? Any ideas welcome.

I noticed that the Journey's Baltic cruise departing 07/07/08 has changed the stop in Kiel to Lubeck. The dock time is 7am-6pm. We were planning on going into Berlin form Warenemunde and then looking at doing Lubeck and Hamburg from Kiel. With this port change, it would be possible to go back and see Wismar and Schwerin, or is going to the original port of Kiel a better choice? Also, should Hamburg be considered? Any ideas welcome.

Much more better...

Rent a car or take the train to Wismar and Schwerin and Hamburg.

1 Ticket = Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket for you and 4 other cruise-mates... for just 24 EUR.

It's much more easier to get to all these places than from Kiel.

Highway goes to Wismar - Schwerin - Hamburg - Lübeck.

Train line same!

Are you in Lübeck itself or in Travemünde???

You'll have a great time there - for sure!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi HeinBloed, thanks for the quick response. The actual port is Travemunde. Is Lubeck within walking distance of the pier? We should not bother to go to Kiel? Will we have enough time to get to all those cities?

I liked you greeting to Miss Jolly:D

Travemunde is about 20mins from Lubeck, which is quite an interesting city and a destination in its own right. We were there two weeks ago and could have spent more than the half day available. (We went on a ship's excursion from Spirit of Adventure.) No doubt HeinBloed can give you train/bus information. He's very good at that sort of thing. Alternatively, Travemunde itself is a small, pleasant seaside resort.

Hi HeinBloed, thanks for the quick response. The actual port is Travemunde. Is Lubeck within walking distance of the pier? We should not bother to go to Kiel? Will we have enough time to get to all those cities?

I liked you greeting to Miss Jolly:D

Travemünde - perfect!!!

That's no walking distance to Lübeck.

But Travemünde is a lovely resort town.

You can take the double-decker bus or the train to Lübeck. (Too far to walk...)

It's very nice there.

If you still like to go somewhere I would personally recommend to go to Hamburg.

Now it's upto you: do you find enough options in a big city like Hamburg - or did you just want to get a first impression???

If just a first impression I would personally go to Schwerin which is very lovely. Especially the castle at the lake.

Wismar reminds very much to the other Hanseatic cities you will see during your cruise. So here you can decide short term to skip or to go.

I would rent a car. It's so easy driving in this part of Germany.

Regards,

HeinBloed

@kcbarker:

If you mail me your (snail-)mailing address - I can mail you a very nice Lübeck-cruisers-guide. One is left.

This will be after September 10, when I am back in the US.

Regards,

HeinBloed

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

Please replace the word nickname by my nickname used in this forum.

Archived