Newcomers to the Progreso Board

hdawson

Alot of cruisers will be visiting Progreso instead of the expected Costa Maya.

Read the threads here (not just 3 or 4) and checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com Probably the best visitor's guide I've seen for any destination. Progreso has a nice large beach but the water is not clear like the Caribbean. Very fresh fish and seafood. Really good. It's on the gulf. This the best port for visiing major Mayan ruins. For those that would rather not experience the local culture (big mistake) there is an all-inclusive that is real nice about 30 miles away. Then there is the beautiful Spanish colonial city of Merida 21 miles away with very good bus service. Three dollars round trip. I've posted quite a few pics here on the Progreso board. It's a port call that is best with research. Not at all like Cancun, Cozume or Costa Maya.

Yes, the pier is 4.5 miles long.

thank you for the info . It is much appreciated.

Yes that Hurrican dean has sent us all in search of info on the boards ... looking at ports that werent really our first choice...

I am going to miss my Costa Maya :(

Another friend gave me this link :

http://www.mayayucatan.com.mx/

and I know that these are some of the excursions that Carnival has :

ATV Adventure at Rancho Grande $95

Bike Trek at Rancho Grande $69

Buggy Beach Break $79

Caves and Caverns Snorkeling $99

Chichen Itza (ruins) $69

Colonial izamal $65

Corona Beach break $35

Dzibilchaltun Ruins $55

Dzib Ruins, Mexican Buffet, Horse Show $79

Flamingo Reserve Boat and lunch $99

Kayak Adventure $69

Kodiak Off Road $65

Yucatan Cultural Experience $49

Merida & Shopping, Mex buffet, horse show $75

Merida City Overview $39

Off Road Cart Adventure at Rancho Grande $95

Progreso Resort Beach Break $75

Progreso Mayan Reality Tour $85

Uxmal Mayan Ruins $69

A lot of people that are used to the Costa Maya boards are probably going to be trying to find good photos of the beach areas...

and food info ,prices of the food available at the beach areas ... good bars ...

hdawson...do you know of anyplace that has great Coconut shrimp ?:)

tours that are recommended...photos of those ...

I noticed that Progreso board is not as active as the Costa Maya board:(

However this is where the ship may take most of us ...so hopefully there will be pictures and reviews of stuff within the next few weeks

so I will be keeping a watchout for all info as it comes in!!

Carolina. Did you look at my pics posted on this board? There are four gallerys and pics of Merida, Progreso, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, etc.

hi there again!

yes I did look at your photos

I did wish you had captions under the photos ...

is that a possibility ?

I saw the beach picture ...very nice

and thank you :)

Ps : ive been to Chichen Itxa when I was in Cancun

I also saw Tulum and Xpuha and Xelha

and did visit a cenote ... and a buffet type lunch for one of the Ruins

:D Add me to the list of Progresso-visitors-by-Dean. And thanks HDawson for your welcome and info. One of my goals on this trip (Glory-western) was to see Mayan ruins.

Hooo-eee! :) Looks like I've stumbled into the mother lode, and I'm very happy about going to Progresso.

I think Uxmal will be perfect, and I look forward to seeing it in November.

oops, better head off to work so I can earn some spending money! :rolleyes:

Well I am here too, starting my research on Progreso now. I have been researching what to do in Costa Maya for about 4 mths now so now I got to start over :rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing what to do here now. Hey they dont have those $20 beach massages do they?

Also does anyone know if Carnival is going to keep Progreso the new port of call for good until Costa Maya is back up and running? Do you think this port of call with change? I ask b/c we arent cruising till April so I dont want to start my research on this port of call only for them to change it on me :eek:

Thanks,

Danielle

The Carnival to my understanding is not going to be updated with Progreso/Merida as the port of call. This is going to make it very difficult to book excursions prior to getting on the ship. I imagine the reasonings is that so much of Carnival's website are static pages that it would be a nightmare and with the other scheduled itinerary changes the IT Dept. would be overworked.

I know that we can book online through a local company but I would prefer not to gamble during hurricane season and not be going to Progreso after all.

I guess we will end up concentrating on experiencing the local cultural. What are the "must do" food venues in the area?

Well I am here too, starting my research on Progreso now. I have been researching what to do in Costa Maya for about 4 mths now so now I got to start over :rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing what to do here now. Hey they dont have those $20 beach massages do they?

Also does anyone know if Carnival is going to keep Progreso the new port of call for good until Costa Maya is back up and running? Do you think this port of call with change? I ask b/c we arent cruising till April so I dont want to start my research on this port of call only for them to change it on me :eek:

Thanks,

Danielle

If you stay in Progreso, the whole deep fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet is outstanding. Everytime I visit the Yucatan, I make it a point to visit Progreso for the extremely fresh fish. There are pics in the gallerys I've posted here.

If you stay in Progreso, the whole deep fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet is outstanding. ....

Just out of curiosity - what is the cost of a meal such as this ata Le Saint Bonnet? We are also likely headed to Progresso as we sail on the Holiday on 9/15 and were previously scheduled to go to Costa Maya like so many others.

Thanks,

JMM

I think the whole deep fried snapper or hawk fish (of the snapper family) has been about $7.50. Local beer $2.00. In one of the albums I posted there are pics of Le Saint Bonnet.

My DW is not a seafood person so she wants to know if they also serve steak. If I serve her a great juicy steak she's "Happy as a Clam". (pun intended)

I am going to go check out your galleries but I assure you I will have more question. Turns out that lately my favorite shows on the Travel Channel have become "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" and "Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern". I don't think I will ever go to the extent of those two but I do like to try different things.

If we take the bus to Merida from Progresso, where exactly will they take us and then what to do when we get there? Is there a place where we can go to see dancing, and do you know where the rodeo is and how much it costs? We are thinking about doing the free guided tour of the Centro Historico of downtown, and maybe the tourist bus from Santa Lucia Park. Can we get to these places easily?

I have a group of 8 that I must plan for asap - we leave Saturday to get on the Fantacy on Monday, and I have to figure out what we are doing. They are a group that includes mentally disabled individuals and they need to feel comfortable that we have a plan for this port, not just wandering around.

Thanks for your help!

Sherryl

Many thanks for your many informative posts.

It is definitely appreciated by those of us now scrambling to research the new ports we are getting at the last minute.

Loved your photo albums.

Truly well done.

Bill

HDawson that was really nice of you to start this thread and post information.

I'm another one that was affected by Hurricane Dean. But Progresso seems really nice; so I'm excited!

I'm off to read all the other information and looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Thanks again!

http://community.webshots.com/user/kingfish78734 Here are some pics from our last cruise. The Progreso pics start at number 75 until the last one at number 124. The rest are pics of the ship and also Cozumel. We absolutely LOVED Progreso!! Don't miss it!

And we'll be there again in THREE WEEKS!!! WOOHOO!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/kingfish78734 Here are some pics from our last cruise. The Progreso pics start at number 75 until the last one at number 124. The rest are pics of the ship and also Cozumel. We absolutely LOVED Progreso!! Don't miss it!

And we'll be there again in THREE WEEKS!!! WOOHOO!!

Thank you so much for posting your photos !!

They really were Beautiful !!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived