Clear bottom kayak trip in Cabo??

missjanet

We're going on the Elation in October & will be spending a day in Cabo. My family wants to go kayaking. There is a new Carnival excursion shown on the web site, a clear bottom kayak trip, that looks awesome. I can see the trip listed under excursions for Cabo, but when I go into my reservation I do not see this trip listed for our sailing.

I called Carnival & asked about it last week. They told me it was so new that they didn't know for sure which cruises would be offering it. Has anyone seen this excursion listed on their particular cruise? I'm really anxious to book it if it really is offered to us, but I'll have to call Carnival again (as they told me to do) to see if they've listed it yet as being available on our sailing.

Any information would help. Thanks in advance.

Janet

A little off topic...but heh......JANET!!!!

We were on the Dawn and met you at Great Stirrup Cay November 2006.

I see you will be in Cabo in October 2007....so will we!! On October 29th. We are on NCL again, this time on the Star out of LA. I see you are going with Carnival this time. Have a great time. Maybe we will see you in Cabo!!:D

Leanne ( & George)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Leanne (& George, of course)!!!

Of course I remember you!! We were just talking about that cruise on the Dawn & we mentioned what a great group of people we sailed with, including you & George!! How funny that you're going to Cabo, but right after we are. We're sailing on the Carnival Elation out of San Diego from 10/25 to 10/29 - too bad you're going out of LA. That would have been such a coincidence!! Our daughter & her husband moved to San Diego in February, so we travel back & forth to visit her. Since she & her husband like to cruise, too, we figured it would be a cool idea to cruise out of San Diego for a change. I'm really excited about this trip!!

On the Carnival web site they mention 2 different types of kayaking trips. One is with these clear bottom kayaks, the other trip is just your typical 2-person kayak. But the web site does not show the clear kayak trip being available on our sailing - I will call Carnival to find out if that is true or not. Otherwise, I will just book the regular kayak trip since the 4 of us want to do some sort of kayaking.

I see that you got over your "lurking"!! You have posted 33 times - that's terrific!! To be honest, I haven't been on the web site that much over the summer but now that the trip is coming up, I'll be on it more. I still can't believe we're both going to Mexico just a few days apart - that's such a funny coincidence!!

Say "hi" to George for us!!

Janet (& Bob)

Oh that IS too bad, we will miss you!!! We are going NCL again, this time the Star, sisiter ship to the Dawn. I remember you telling us on the last cruise that your daughter was in California, or moving there, and you may mix a visit with her and her hubby with a cruise from their area. How nice that you are doing a family trip!!! Our oldest daughter and her BF are joining us on this one too. Next December('08) we are booked on the Carnival Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale to E. Caribbean. Both of our girls are set to join us, so we look forward to that one as well.

I hope you all have a fabulous trip. Say 'hi' to Bob for us!!!

We did a kayak class here at home just a couple of months ago, and loved it!!! We are looking forward to our kayak trip in Cabo!!!

Take care,

Leanne (& George)

I got to do the Clear Bottom Kayak tour a couple of months ago...one of my job perks is getting to try out all the companies new tours! It is a new tour that is suppose to be activated by Carnival any day now! The kayaks are very cool...they look like a regular sit-on-top kayak but the bottom has a special clear bottom so you can see the marine life below. There are 2 person and a few 1 person kayaks. You transfer in one of the companies water shuttles from the pier out to the tour companies private platform about 3 minutes from the tender pier. It is in a sheltered cove, roped off from boat traffic. You take the kayaks along the rocky coastline towards Lover's Beach and Pelican Rock. There, you will snorkel in a protected area before kayaking back to the platform. It is not strenuous or difficult. This tour has the advantage of another being offered in that you do not have to cross the "channel" from the Medano Beach area to get to the snorkel site. There is so much traffic in the bay...jet skis, tenders, fishing boats, parasailing boats all going across the same path as the other kayakers. The clear bottom kayak tour eliminates that hazard. Tons of fish, a sunken ship wreck, and even a sea lion popped into view on my trip! Very safe, very fun. My advice is to check on board the ship as soon as you embark. Like I mentioned, it will be in the ship system any day now - they were having difficulty with the onboard computer program that does that.

Thank you, Solita, for the info on the clear bottom kayak. I have been checking the Carnival web site daily to see if that excursion has been added, but I don't see it yet. I was really hoping to be able to book this trip before heading out on the cruise. I figure that space is limited & this is our first choice of things to do in Cabo. I am not giving up hope yet!!

Thanks again.

Janet

Leanne,

I am disappointed that we will be in Cabo 2 days before you will be - what are the chances of something like that even being possible, with you living in Canada and us living in NJ?? It would have been fun to meet up for a drink in Cabo. The 4 of us would like to do an excursion in the morning & then visit some of the local establishments for drinks - we haven't figure out which places to visit as there are SO many of them in Cabo!!

I am envious of your cruise with your kids next year. I would love to do something like that, but with my girls now living on 2 different coasts, it has become pretty difficult. We offered to bring our younger daughter on this cruise, but she really hates to fly so she declined. She is cruising this month out of NYC to Bermuda, another cruise I'd like to take at some point. Still, I'm thrilled to be cruising with Lisa & my son-in-law Dan - when they are around, it is always Happy Hour!!

We bought kayaks this summer so we've been practicing at the Jersey Shore (we live in northern NJ). Bob is really good at it, but I'm still better at kayaking in the bay rather than the ocean. I am hoping that the kayaking we do in Cabo is on the calm side - Bob's the adventurous one, not me.

So good to hear from you! Enjoy your planning.

Janet

Thank you, Solita, for the info on the clear bottom kayak. I have been checking the Carnival web site daily to see if that excursion has been added, but I don't see it yet. I was really hoping to be able to book this trip before heading out on the cruise. I figure that space is limited & this is our first choice of things to do in Cabo. I am not giving up hope yet!!

Thanks again.

Janet

You are most welcome Janet. I do not think that you would have a problem if you waited and booked onboard the ship. But don't give up hope!

OK!!! Hot off the press...or rather the telephone with the tour office in Miami. The Clear Bottom Kayak tour will start on September 15 and run thru April 30. Give the system til Monday to activate the tour but you should be able to book before you sail!!!

Hey Solita, that is great news!!!!! I guess we are SOL since we are cruising with NCL and not Carnival heh?

Janet, I guess your wish is granted as to the glass bottomed kayak!!!!! Book that excursion!!!! LOL

We are planning to buy Kayaks as well, but are trying to decide on one 2 person kayak or two single seat kayaks.

It would have been great to see you and Bob and have a couple of drinks, at least!!! Maybe another time heh!!!!:D

As for where to have a drink in Cabo, I read that Tequila Treasures is where they serve the best margarita. It is apparently down the middle of the plaza (just after you get off the ship) past the souvenir and jewellery stores, past Cabo duty free store, tucked back on the right hand side. Alot of different tequilas to sample, and cold, cheap,buckets of beer too!!!!

Cheers!!!

Leanne

This sounds so interesting! Solita, did you feel stable in these kayaks? I know that when we snorkeled over by Pelican Rock (we called it by another name :D ) that the boat traffic made it pretty choppy. Did you ever feel like you were going to turn over in the kayak? We would have our kids with us (nearly 14 & 19 at the time...) so each would be in a kayak with a parent if we were to do this.)

Solita,

You are a treasure!! Thank you for getting that good news about the clear bottom kayak excursion - I am so excited & psyched for that trip! I will be checking the Carnival web site starting Monday so the 4 of us can get reservations ASAP. You've made it sound like it's a great choice for those of us who want to get out there & do something a little adventurous.

I'd also like to know how rough the waters are in that area. My daughter wants to bring a camera with us, but I don't want to see it ruined by the waves. I know that kayaking can be a totally different experience, depending on the location. We kayaked in a tandem version in La Jolla in June & it felt like we were on a lake - I loved it. Here at the Jersey Shore it's a whole different story - we have 2 single person kayaks & the water can be very rough. We usually end up capsizing as we go in & out from the shoreline. I'm hoping it's a nice mellow ride in Cabo though!! I need to be in good shape to do some partying once the excursion is over!!

Leanne,

Tandem kayaks are great if you always have 2 people to go out in them. Bob & I purchased 2 singles because I wanted him to be able to go out without me sometimes. He's more the sportsman than I am - I just don't have his stamina. But if you & George are always going kayaking together, the tandem is a great (and cheaper) option. Plus if one of you gets tired of paddling, the other one can take over. I'm sure that's why one of the reasons they put the passengers in tandem kayaks on these excursions.

I've heard of Tequila Treasures (from you, Solita, I think), but I wasn't able to get any information on it when I Googled it. Where is it in relation to any of the other bars I might have heard of, like Cabo Wabo, or The Office? We're going to be looking for a place to quench our thirst after that kayak trip!! Sorry we won't be drinking together with you & George, but perhaps another cruise. Or if you ever make it to NJ!!

Take care, all.

Janet

Hey Janet...one never knows where they may end up when they do a road trip!!!! Maybe if we purchase a couple of kayaks we can strap them to the top of the car and head out to the Jersey shore!!!;)

Back to the Cabo watering holes now.......I would love more info on some favourites of others and the proximity to the pier, etc...Thanks in advance

Leanne

Leanne,

That would be one heck of a road trip from Canada!! Especially with kayaks on the roof of your car. But wouldn't it be fun?? In the meantime, let's find out about those watering holes in Cabo! This is port of call is supposed to be lots of fun.

Suzihmkr,

I'm going to pick up one of those waterproof cameras, regardless of what my daughter decides to do. She's got an older digital camera she's thinking of bringing in multiple zip lock baggies, I believe, because she wants to get better pictures of the sights we see, not necessarily under the water, but as we float by. Plus we'll be going out in Cabo afterwards & I think she wants to take photos then. I'm not sure if we tender into Cabo or not, but even just going back & forth onto the ship can be a bit of a pain, unless we get so soaking wet on the kayak trip that we NEED to change into dry clothes. I'm hoping that doesn't happen though.

Suzihmkr,

I'm going to pick up one of those waterproof cameras, regardless of what my daughter decides to do. She's got an older digital camera she's thinking of bringing in multiple zip lock baggies, I believe, because she wants to get better pictures of the sights we see, not necessarily under the water, but as we float by. Plus we'll be going out in Cabo afterwards & I think she wants to take photos then. I'm not sure if we tender into Cabo or not, but even just going back & forth onto the ship can be a bit of a pain, unless we get so soaking wet on the kayak trip that we NEED to change into dry clothes. I'm hoping that doesn't happen though.

Cabo is definitely a tender port... it takes a little while, but it isn't too bad. Check out my pics in my signature below. The ones in the Legend of the Seas were when we went snorkeling in Cabo (2004) All of the shots of Cabo from that tour were taken with the underwater camera... even out of the water. I am a camera freak and usually take 2-3 different cameras with us on cruises. :D So I can definitely understand her desire to use a better camera. I am sure I won't make up my mind about which camera to take until we have arrived in Cabo.... that is why I take so many... When I don't, I always regret not bringing the one I left at home. :rolleyes:

Have a GREAT cruise and please report back and let us know how it went.

Hey Solita, that is great news!!!!! I guess we are SOL since we are cruising with NCL and not Carnival heh?

Janet, I guess your wish is granted as to the glass bottomed kayak!!!!! Book that excursion!!!! LOL

We are planning to buy Kayaks as well, but are trying to decide on one 2 person kayak or two single seat kayaks.

It would have been great to see you and Bob and have a couple of drinks, at least!!! Maybe another time heh!!!!:D

As for where to have a drink in Cabo, I read that Tequila Treasures is where they serve the best margarita. It is apparently down the middle of the plaza (just after you get off the ship) past the souvenir and jewellery stores, past Cabo duty free store, tucked back on the right hand side. Alot of different tequilas to sample, and cold, cheap,buckets of beer too!!!!

Cheers!!!

Leanne

Leanne...good news and bad news. The bad news first. The Clear Bottom Kayak tour is just for cruiseship guests. And at this point, NCL is not offering it. But the GOOD news is that Tequila Treasures does have kick a@@ margaritas and I can also vouch for the cold beer and air conditioning! You have the location spot on. I was there yesterday and they have the cutest little mini bottles of tequila. I thought they will make the neatest souvenirs or stocking stuffers or office present type gift! Go check it out and see if you agree. See you there!

This sounds so interesting! Solita, did you feel stable in these kayaks? I know that when we snorkeled over by Pelican Rock (we called it by another name :D ) that the boat traffic made it pretty choppy. Did you ever feel like you were going to turn over in the kayak? We would have our kids with us (nearly 14 & 19 at the time...) so each would be in a kayak with a parent if we were to do this.)

Oh super stable. That is one of the cool things about them. They are really wide so they don't tip or rock much. It really is great exercise...I find it both relaxing and thrilling at the same time. You must wear a life jacket at all times though as a safety precaution...which is a very wise idea in my book regardless of the water conditions or your expertise level. I have been kayaking for over 12 years and always wear one. YOu might consider having the kids go together even! And you enjoy the views with your hubby.

Solita,

You are a treasure!! Thank you for getting that good news about the clear bottom kayak excursion - I am so excited & psyched for that trip! I will be checking the Carnival web site starting Monday so the 4 of us can get reservations ASAP. You've made it sound like it's a great choice for those of us who want to get out there & do something a little adventurous.

I'd also like to know how rough the waters are in that area. My daughter wants to bring a camera with us, but I don't want to see it ruined by the waves. I know that kayaking can be a totally different experience, depending on the location. We kayaked in a tandem version in La Jolla in June & it felt like we were on a lake - I loved it. Here at the Jersey Shore it's a whole different story - we have 2 single person kayaks & the water can be very rough. We usually end up capsizing as we go in & out from the shoreline. I'm hoping it's a nice mellow ride in Cabo though!! I need to be in good shape to do some partying once the excursion is over!!

Leanne,

Tandem kayaks are great if you always have 2 people to go out in them. Bob & I purchased 2 singles because I wanted him to be able to go out without me sometimes. He's more the sportsman than I am - I just don't have his stamina. But if you & George are always going kayaking together, the tandem is a great (and cheaper) option. Plus if one of you gets tired of paddling, the other one can take over. I'm sure that's why one of the reasons they put the passengers in tandem kayaks on these excursions.

I've heard of Tequila Treasures (from you, Solita, I think), but I wasn't able to get any information on it when I Googled it. Where is it in relation to any of the other bars I might have heard of, like Cabo Wabo, or The Office? We're going to be looking for a place to quench our thirst after that kayak trip!! Sorry we won't be drinking together with you & George, but perhaps another cruise. Or if you ever make it to NJ!!

Take care, all.

Janet

Janet...you are most welcome. I love kayaking! Welllll, I just love being out on the water and kayaking is so much fun. YOu will not capsize on these...you don't launch from the beach! You get on them from a private platform located in a protected cove.

And yes, I am a fan of Tequila Treasures. I enjoy a nice cold adult beverage and cold air conditioning. So when you add in good music....ahhhh. If you walk down the pier, out the security gate and go down the sidewalk to your right you will see a white shopping mall with Senor Greenburgs and a store called Mexico Lindo. Just walk between those two stores and you will pass some small stores and kiosks. Keep walking down about 100 yards, past Cabo Duty Free on your left and Tequila Treasure is on your right. Maybe I will be there when you guys will be! This Friday they are having a 2X1 special on everything! Anyone coming on the Pride this week???

Oh super stable. That is one of the cool things about them. They are really wide so they don't tip or rock much. It really is great exercise...I find it both relaxing and thrilling at the same time. You must wear a life jacket at all times though as a safety precaution...which is a very wise idea in my book regardless of the water conditions or your expertise level. I have been kayaking for over 12 years and always wear one. YOu might consider having the kids go together even! And you enjoy the views with your hubby.

Thanks! That makes me feel better! I do hope they have it on our sailing.

I hope anyone else that takes this excursion when it starts will come back here & report their experience.

Thanks Solita!

Hi all,

Well, Solita, you were right on the money. Today I found the Clear Bottom Kayak excursion listed on the Carnival web site. My daughter & I were so excited & so we clicked on it to make reservations. That is when we discovered that the trip lasts from 11:30am until 2:00pm. We are in port from 8am until 4pm. If we do this kayak trip, we will not be able to make it to Tequila Treasures or any place else (okay, maybe we could make it to one place). But the 4 of us had planned on kayaking, then doing a little partying before taking the tender back to the Elation for 4pm departure.

I checked on the times for the other kayak trip - it is called Sea Kayak Eco Adventure. The times are much better: from 9am to 11:30am. That allows us plenty of time to visit the various bars/restaurants afterwards. So we didn't make any reservations yet because we are now unsure about what we want to do. I didn't want the entire day in Cabo to be taken up by the kayak trip & I don't think I want to be doing any partying before the 11:30am excursion!!

Solita, Do you by any chance know what the difference is between those 2 kayak trips? I'm willing to give up the "clear bottom" aspect of the kayak trip if you tell me that the Eco Adventure is a good trip, too. I might just call Carnival to find out if that is the only time they're offering that trip - it sure screws up our day in Cabo though.

I appreciate all your help. This is why I get so frazzled when planning a cruise! (But in a good way!!)

Thanks again.

Janet

Archived