Clear bottom kayak trip in Cabo??

missjanet

That particular kayak trip is $79 as opposed to $59 for the Sea Kayak Eco Adventure. Not much of a difference in price, but the schedule time might be the deal breaker here. I'm still leaning toward taking the clear bottom kayak trip, but there are 4 of us going so I can't make this decision alone. But from what Solita wrote, it sure sounds like a great trip.

Hopefully, it will be showing up on your excursion list soon. I'd be curious to see if it still lists the times as 11:30am to 2pm for other sailings.

Hi all,

Well, Solita, you were right on the money. Today I found the Clear Bottom Kayak excursion listed on the Carnival web site. My daughter & I were so excited & so we clicked on it to make reservations. That is when we discovered that the trip lasts from 11:30am until 2:00pm. We are in port from 8am until 4pm. If we do this kayak trip, we will not be able to make it to Tequila Treasures or any place else (okay, maybe we could make it to one place). But the 4 of us had planned on kayaking, then doing a little partying before taking the tender back to the Elation for 4pm departure.

I checked on the times for the other kayak trip - it is called Sea Kayak Eco Adventure. The times are much better: from 9am to 11:30am. That allows us plenty of time to visit the various bars/restaurants afterwards. So we didn't make any reservations yet because we are now unsure about what we want to do. I didn't want the entire day in Cabo to be taken up by the kayak trip & I don't think I want to be doing any partying before the 11:30am excursion!!

Solita, Do you by any chance know what the difference is between those 2 kayak trips? I'm willing to give up the "clear bottom" aspect of the kayak trip if you tell me that the Eco Adventure is a good trip, too. I might just call Carnival to find out if that is the only time they're offering that trip - it sure screws up our day in Cabo though.

I appreciate all your help. This is why I get so frazzled when planning a cruise! (But in a good way!!)

Thanks again.

Janet

I found out that it will be offered for Elation (most call dates) at 8:30 AND at 11:30 (that is ship times...local times are 9:30 and 12:30). For the Pride (again, for most call dates) the times will be 8:00 AND 11:30 - that is both ship and local time). I was told that there are a few dates when there are 2 Carnival ships in port that the departure times will be split with one ship taking the early spot and the other having the later departure. So you should be able to get an earlier time...I doubt that it is already full!

The other tour, the ECO one, is the tour that you take a taxi over to Medano beach and have to cross the channel with all the boat traffic (one of the main reasons I like the Clear Bottom better). Both tours go to basically the same spot to do the snorkeling - Pelican Rock/Lover's Beach area. You also have the added advantage with the Clear Bottom Kayaks that you can see all the marine life under you as you go along.

That particular kayak trip is $79 as opposed to $59 for the Sea Kayak Eco Adventure.

Hopefully, it will be showing up on your excursion list soon. I'd be curious to see if it still lists the times as 11:30am to 2pm for other sailings.

Thanks missjanet! At least I can budget the cost so I know when to expect when it does open. I will definitely let you know what times are available. Didn't you say that your ship doesn't port until 8am? That might be why... we port at 7am. Although, I am not sure I would be taking the 8am... we would probably still opt for the 11:30.

I found out that it will be offered for Elation (most call dates) at 8:30 AND at 11:30 (that is ship times...local times are 9:30 and 12:30). For the Pride (again, for most call dates) the times will be 8:00 AND 11:30 - that is both ship and local time).

I will definitely report back when ours is available for booking so everyone can get an idea.

Thanks missjanet! At least I can budget the cost so I know when to expect when it does open. I will definitely let you know what times are available. Didn't you say that your ship doesn't port until 8am? That might be why... we port at 7am. Although, I am not sure I would be taking the 8am... we would probably still opt for the 11:30.

I will definitely report back when ours is available for booking so everyone can get an idea.

YOu are correct. The Pride gets here officially from 7am and leaves at 4pm. That is why their tours leave earlier...8am, 11:30am. The Elation gets here at 8am ship/9am local. That is why their tour leaves at 8:30 ship/9:30 local and at 11:30 ship/12:30 local. Those times remember are for MOST calls...there are a couple of dates where they are abit different.

Both tours go to basically the same spot to do the snorkeling - Pelican Rock/Lover's Beach area.

CORRECTION.....the Eco tour goes to Pelican Rock/Lover's Beach area to do their snorkeling. This is the location is where many boat tours go (small fishing boats, water taxis, dive boats, etc.) so it can be very crowded and can be prone to rough water at times.

The Clear Bottom Kayak tour goes to a private area roped off with buoys that is closed for all boat traffic. There is a ship wreck there they will see while snorkeling that the other tour is excluded from! It is in a protected cove close to the shore and rock formations. Sounds much safer and way less crowded!

Well, after much discussion with my daughter about which kayak trip to do, we finally decided to go on the clear bottom kayak trip, even though the 11:30am start time wasn't ideal. The advantages just seemed to outweigh the fact that we wouldn't be able to visit some of the restaurants/bars in the area. I don't know where we'll end up at the end of this excursion, but I'm hoping we will be able to stop for a drink or two before we have to take the tender back to the Elation. This trip just sounds so cool!!

Thank you, Solita, for all the information you gave us about this new excursion. I can't wait to report back on it after our trip in October.

Janet

Well, after much discussion with my daughter about which kayak trip to do, we finally decided to go on the clear bottom kayak trip, even though the 11:30am start time wasn't ideal. The advantages just seemed to outweigh the fact that we wouldn't be able to visit some of the restaurants/bars in the area. I don't know where we'll end up at the end of this excursion, but I'm hoping we will be able to stop for a drink or two before we have to take the tender back to the Elation. This trip just sounds so cool!!

Thank you, Solita, for all the information you gave us about this new excursion. I can't wait to report back on it after our trip in October.

Janet

You are welcome Janet. Since you posted that you are here 8-4, that means you will be here on a Saturday or one of their weird call dates. When the Elation is here on a Monday or Wednesday, they stay an extra hour. Sooo, if you do the 11:30 tour, you will officially finish and will back at the pier at 2:00. Last tender is at 3:30...all SHIP times. But...there is some good news. Actually 2. First one is that there is the earlier spot. 8:30-11:00. And....when you finish the Kayak you start the snorkel portion back in the protected cove area. You can take the water shuttle that goes from their platform back to the pier every 15 minutes or so! Some people want to snorkel longer, some less time. So....you could even gain a bit more time that way. You will have a blast either way.

I just received a super phone call....from the owner of the company that runs the Clear Bottom Kayak tour. They are having a "dress rehersal" tomorrow and I am invited!!! I am so excited. I will take pictures and post them hopefully by tomorrow afternoon. Wonder if I will get to see a sea lion through the bottom "window" of my kayak?????

Solita, I am anxious to hear about your experience on the kayak. We did a "clear bottom" kayak in Jamaica and it was so hazy and scratched that you couldn't see anything through the glass bottom. Please tell us if your kayak is any better for viewing the underwater life.

It was sooooo much fun this morning. But I have one complaint...my neck hurts from looking down so much! jajaja...just kidding. The clear bottoms were totally free of scratches. And we saw tons...puffers, box fish, barracuda, angel, starfish, etc....and the best....a sea lion got curious enough and popped his head into view. That was really nice. I will post the pix in about an hour.

Solita,

We'd love to see your photos when you get them! This is looking like a great excursion - I'm glad we got our 4 spots already reserved because I could see it being popular with people who want to kayak.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "ship time" as opposed to Mexico time. So we finish up at 2pm & then have over an hour to grab a drink or 2 somewhere else before tendering back to the ship for our 4pm departure?? That should work out okay I think. You are right, we will be there on a Saturday (October 27th) but the web site shows the trip only being offered at 11:30am. We are fine with that now - at first we were a bit disappointed, but now we will just relax before the trip. I guess we can't do much touring around Cabo in our swimwear (although here I am talking about going to a bar dressed like that, so I guess it wouldn't be so strange after all!!)

In any case, I am expecting to have a great time, but I'd really love to see those pics!! Please post them as soon as you are able. You're a doll!

Janet

Solita,

We'd love to see your photos when you get them! This is looking like a great excursion - I'm glad we got our 4 spots already reserved because I could see it being popular with people who want to kayak.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "ship time" as opposed to Mexico time. So we finish up at 2pm & then have over an hour to grab a drink or 2 somewhere else before tendering back to the ship for our 4pm departure?? That should work out okay I think. You are right, we will be there on a Saturday (October 27th) but the web site shows the trip only being offered at 11:30am. We are fine with that now - at first we were a bit disappointed, but now we will just relax before the trip. I guess we can't do much touring around Cabo in our swimwear (although here I am talking about going to a bar dressed like that, so I guess it wouldn't be so strange after all!!)

In any case, I am expecting to have a great time, but I'd really love to see those pics!! Please post them as soon as you are able. You're a doll!

Janet

Hey Janet...

The Elation is the only ship that stays on homeport time...which is Pacific time. Cabo is on Mountain time. But all tours go by ship time. So your 11:30 tour is 11:30 ship time, 12:30 our time.

I will ask about why is only showing up for that time slot and let you know.

If your tour ends at 2, you will have about 1.5 hours before last tender. And most everyone goes around in their bathing suit with a pair of shorts or a wrap. So no worries about that.

Let's see how these pics show up....

DSCF0373.jpg.287a6806a62f76a0733292be199128a5.jpg

DSCF0391.jpg.a429de0d37d4675fb1b952925e11827a.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg.f19680b137aa73dff7fc174d1db8e219.jpg

DSCF0461.jpg.37b1611ffdcfb28bc2114f4e0392108d.jpg

DSCF0458.jpg.f7c2de795b43a3ad839c69055fdb5f55.jpg

I'll be on the pride Dec. 30...do you also get out of the kayak and snorkel? I'm afraid the water might be too cold in January...any thoughts? Thanks!:)

Yes, after abut 45 minutes to an hour of easy kayaking, you go back to the base and snorkel in their protected cove area that is bouyed off to boats and other people. There is a ship wreck and tons of fish. You can take the water shuttle back to the pier whenever you are ready...you can stay longer if you want.

Yeah! The four of us are booked! We had the option on ours (probably because it is the Pride) for 8am or 11:30am. I chose the 11:30 so we wouldn't be too rushed in the morning, especially with it being out last port. May not have time to visit Medano beach this trip, but there is always 2009!

Thanks again Solita - and I hope to hear back from many happy kayakers as this rolls out.

I'll be on the pride Dec. 30...do you also get out of the kayak and snorkel? I'm afraid the water might be too cold in January...any thoughts? Thanks!:)

Sorry...I forgot to add that the water temp is pleasant in January. It is usually about 72 degrees or so.

Yeah! The four of us are booked! We had the option on ours (probably because it is the Pride) for 8am or 11:30am. I chose the 11:30 so we wouldn't be too rushed in the morning, especially with it being out last port. May not have time to visit Medano beach this trip, but there is always 2009!

Thanks again Solita - and I hope to hear back from many happy kayakers as this rolls out.

Hola Suzie...I am sure you guys will have a great time. It is a nice relaxed paced tour...not a competition! I am not sure if I mentioned it before but there is a weight limit of 425# for the 2 person and 250# on the one person kayaks.

Solita,

Thanks for the pics!! That is some scenery in those photos - is that where we'll be kayaking? We're going to love it. That 2nd photo was a good shot of the clear bottom on the kayak - I am thrilled about that. I'm hoping we see that shipwreck in addition to tons of fish. Thanks for giving us so much information about this excursion. I have a feeling a lot of people will be signing up for it now that there's some real info on it.

And thanks for the info on ship vs. shore time. So we will still have time to grab a drink after kayaking - we might need it after that! And good to know our casual wear won't be a problem on the streets of Cabo.

Janet

Solita,

Thanks for the pics!! That is some scenery in those photos - is that where we'll be kayaking? We're going to love it. That 2nd photo was a good shot of the clear bottom on the kayak - I am thrilled about that. I'm hoping we see that shipwreck in addition to tons of fish. Thanks for giving us so much information about this excursion. I have a feeling a lot of people will be signing up for it now that there's some real info on it.

And thanks for the info on ship vs. shore time. So we will still have time to grab a drink after kayaking - we might need it after that! And good to know our casual wear won't be a problem on the streets of Cabo.

Janet

You are welcome Janet...I don't think you will be disappointed at all! You get to see the shipwreck when you snorkel. You will also get to see the divers doing Snuba and Sea Trek! Really cool. And yes, you go right along the shoreline out to Land's End aka the Arch. I watched the coastline more than the water I think!!!

Archived