Bomb Scare on Celebration today

cruisinonup

Fresh off the Jacksonville news- there was a bomb scare in the luggage today on the Celebration. They stopped boarding and held everyone up for 5 hours. It doesn't sound like they found anything. For anyone interested, you can google up the Jacksonville Channel 12 News. Just thought this might interest members here.

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- Authorities say heart medication triggered the bomb scare at the Carnival Cruise Line terminal Saturday afternoon.

Security workers with bomb-sniffing dogs detected something suspicious in one of the bags during the pre-boarding screening process.

Authorities evacuated the terminal and searched all the bags. The all-clear to board came about seven hours later.

The cruise ship Celebration left Jacksonville for a five-day cruise to Key West and the Bahamas around 10 p.m.

Carnival Cruise Line gave $15 shipboard credits to all the passengers for the delay.

The Celebration is set to return to Jacksonville next Thursday.

Lesson to be learned here... Pack all medications in your carry on bag where you can explain what they are and avoid the delays.

I was a first time cruiser in 03, and I knew to carry my meds on with me. I did not carry my blood pressure machine, and it got broke in transport. Now I have a nebulizer i have to carry. I put it in a hard cosmetic case in my luggage.

I would not be surprised if the pax had his/her heart meds in BOTH the carry on and the checked luggage. Back up supply in case of delay, loss, etc. And I am quite sure it was nitroglycerine tablets.

My dad is going on the 49 day Splendor cruise in 2009, and he keeps nitro with him at all times. He carries it on, of course, and hasn't had a problem on shorter cruises. I emailed him about the bomb scare just so he would know not to pack any extra nitroglycerine in his checked luggage for the Splendor trip. I doubt he would have considered the possibilities, as I sure wouldn't have either.

I only take a blood pressure pill and I always put mine in checked luggage. Security is such a hassle at airports and cruise terminals that Id rather check in everything I possiblly can. I walked on with a small string backpack almost empty on my last cruise

Archived