Noordam compared to Carnival Spirit Class Ships?

Leo Jay

We enjoy Carnival's Spirit class ships (Legend, Miracle, etc.) but are looking to try the HAL Noordan out of NYC this December.

If there's anyone familiar with CCL's Spirit Class, I'm curious to get comparisons to the Noordam in various areas including balcony room sizes/layouts (non-suite), ship layout, entertainment and activities offered, gym facilities, public lounges/quiet spaces, premium dining options, etc..

Feedback from anyone familiar with both would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The differences are like daylight and dark! The Noordam is smaller, much more elegant, more spacious, more gracious, cleaner, superior crew, wonderful layout.

I think you're in for a treat....and a nice surprise. Hope you have a great time.

The differences are like daylight and dark! The Noordam is smaller, much more elegant, more spacious, more gracious, cleaner, superior crew, wonderful layout.

I think you're in for a treat....and a nice surprise. Hope you have a great time.

Thanks. Any observations on room size, activities, restaurants, etc.?

Hi...our first cruise was on the 6-month old Miracle from Baltimore in 2004. We thoroughly enjoyed the ship, the food, the cleanliness, Nick and Nora's and our Cat. 8A balcony. We learned to leave the dining room before the "festivities" began every evening. We just couldn't handle the microphone announcements, shouting and games. Our wait staff would have our decaf cappuccinos ready and we would bolt with them in hand.

Our 2nd cruise was in 2006 on the 10+ year old Grandeur of the Seas, again from Baltimore (we're 7 miles from the terminal) and we felt the ship, cabin (aft JS) and the dining room food, service and ambience left a lot to be desired.

We dine in high end restaurants frequently and in our opinions, the Miracle food and regular dining room service, Nick and Nora's was fabulous, far surpassed the Grandeur in every way, shape and form. Our Grandeur cruise was, pre-refurbish/drydock, but even with a short 15 minute drive to the port, I doubt we'll book the Grandeur any time soon.

We had the Noordam booked for this December, but had to cancel. Looks like we may be booking in March, 2008. I'd like to suggest that you look at the pics I've bookmarked to aid in your decision making. We're ready for a different atmosphere and, hopefully, the Noordam will fit the bill. ;)

http://www.smillay.cruisesinc.com/travel/cruises/virtual_tours.jsp?pg=4&mediatype=1&ITINERARY_ID=809|NO|||

And, RevNeal's pics..thanks, RevNeal ;) :

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/noordam2007/Menu200.html

Karen

oops, sorry.

Hi...our first cruise was on the 6-month old Miracle from Baltimore in 2004. We thoroughly enjoyed the ship, the food, the cleanliness, Nick and Nora's and our Cat. 8A balcony. We learned to leave the dining room before the "festivities" began every evening. We just couldn't handle the microphone announcements, shouting and games. Our wait staff would have our decaf cappuccinos ready and we would bolt with them in hand.

Our 2nd cruise was in 2006 on the 10+ year old Grandeur of the Seas, again from Baltimore (we're 7 miles from the terminal) and we felt the ship, cabin (aft JS) and the dining room food, service and ambience left a lot to be desired.

We dine in high end restaurants frequently and in our opinions, the Miracle food and regular dining room service, Nick and Nora's was fabulous, far surpassed the Grandeur in every way, shape and form. Our Grandeur cruise was, pre-refurbish/drydock, but even with a short 15 minute drive to the port, I doubt we'll book the Grandeur any time soon.

We had the Noordam booked for this December, but had to cancel. Looks like we may be booking in March, 2008. I'd like to suggest that you look at the pics I've bookmarked to aid in your decision making. We're ready for a different atmosphere and, hopefully, the Noordam will fit the bill. ;)

http://www.smillay.cruisesinc.com/travel/cruises/virtual_tours.jsp?pg=4&mediatype=1&ITINERARY_ID=809|NO|||

Karen

Thanks for the feedback! I'll check the pictures when I get home.

Non-suite balcony cabins on HAL are about 254 sq. ft versus 225 sq. ft. on say, the Miracle. Both meaures include balcony space.

The cabins are substantially better appointed on the Noordam.

There is more public space, per passenger, on the Noordam.

I like the entertainment better on Carnival and this is subjective.

There is one alternative sur charge dining room on HAL. The N&N on Carnival tends to get more consistent raves than the Pinacle Grill.

If you are considering a holiday sail, there will be children on the Noordam but not to the extent that Carnival sees.

Night life tends to be quieter on HAL than Carnival. This can and does vary from sailing to sailing, dependent upon passenger dynamics.

It's all about the details on HAL and either you get it or prefer something else. Hot popcorn with a movie, towels at pool side, fresh flowers, the art work, the best Library at sea, the beds, the crew and so on.

hammy, that's the first time I've seen it put that way...."It's all about the details on HAL". That's it in a nut shell. And you're are absolutely right. You either get it or you don't. I do and I'm glad. Thanks

Karen

Karen, I can not agree with you more. We only sailed on RCCL 1x and it was on the Granduer of the Seas. What a disaster. Thanks God it was only 6 nts. We chose this cruise because it was doing a 6nt Calif coast and it looked to be a great way for us to see lots of CA. We were in the 2nd largest suite and it was horrible. All of the food tasted as though it was flash frozen and boiled in a bag. UGH!!! We have never tried Carnival, but they do have a brand new ship "Splendor" coming on line next year. We are considering taking the transatlantic on this new ship. The deck plans and spa area look fantastic. But, dollar for dollar it is very hard to top HAL. We have sailed on the Noordam 3x and it just keeps getting better. Looking forward to 2/06 when we will be on her for the 4th time.

Non-suite balcony cabins on HAL are about 254 sq. ft versus 225 sq. ft. on say, the Miracle. Both meaures include balcony space.

The cabins are substantially better appointed on the Noordam.

There is more public space, per passenger, on the Noordam.

I like the entertainment better on Carnival and this is subjective.

There is one alternative sur charge dining room on HAL. The N&N on Carnival tends to get more consistent raves than the Pinacle Grill.

If you are considering a holiday sail, there will be children on the Noordam but not to the extent that Carnival sees.

Night life tends to be quieter on HAL than Carnival. This can and does vary from sailing to sailing, dependent upon passenger dynamics.

It's all about the details on HAL and either you get it or prefer something else. Hot popcorn with a movie, towels at pool side, fresh flowers, the art work, the best Library at sea, the beds, the crew and so on.

hammybee...This is the exact impression I have of the Noordam, so I hope to be booking her soon. ;)

LeoJay,

We have been on the Miracle and we have been on the Westerdam

On the Miracle, we had a mini-suite and on the Westerdam we had an SC Suite. However, on both we were traveling with single members of the family who had balcony rooms.

Both balcony rooms had sofas in them. The Westerdam had a tub. I am not sure that the Miracle did. The rooms felt to be about the same size.

The Miracle had great food in the fining room, wlthough there was not a large selection. The Westerdam had very good food - about on a par with the Miracle.

What set the Miracle apart was that they did a SUPERB job of handling my food allergies. There was not a single slip-up. They got my food orders for the entire week and then assigned a cook to prepare my food. I was impressed.

The downside of the Miracle was that the food in the Lido was mediocre, except for the deli sandwiches which were great. Breakfasst was EXACTLY the same every day. They had no English muffins and toast was on the steam table (and tasted like it).

The other downside is the noise. It is hard to escape. The music at the pool is too loud. The hoopla in the dining room can deafen you. The shows are too loud.

Our mini-suite was a beautiful stateroom. It was comfortably large enough for us and the bathroom was lovely with double sinks. I think it also had a separate stall shower besides the tub.

I think that Carnival does a better job on shows than HAL (I've only been on two Carnival cruises), but I think that HAL has better small venue entertainment.

I think the two lines are pretty much priced head to head if you look for bargains.

We have been to dinner on the Noordam, which was very pleasurable.

It all depends what you are looking for - quiet refinement or noisy fun. I have a friend who loves the Spirit Class, mainly because he has teenagers who have a terrific time.

If you would like more info, please do not hesitate to ask.

Roberta

Karen, I can not agree with you more. We only sailed on RCCL 1x and it was on the Granduer of the Seas. What a disaster. Thanks God it was only 6 nts. We chose this cruise because it was doing a 6nt Calif coast and it looked to be a great way for us to see lots of CA. We were in the 2nd largest suite and it was horrible. All of the food tasted as though it was flash frozen and boiled in a bag. UGH!!! We have never tried Carnival, but they do have a brand new ship "Splendor" coming on line next year. We are considering taking the transatlantic on this new ship. The deck plans and spa area look fantastic. But, dollar for dollar it is very hard to top HAL. We have sailed on the Noordam 3x and it just keeps getting better. Looking forward to 2/06 when we will be on her for the 4th time.

helenp..We did the 9-night on GOS and the cost was almost $700 more than what we may be paying for the 11-night on the Noordam. I find RCI's prices incredibly expensive.

Many moons ago, DH was in the hotel/restaurant/hospitality business. He knows his stuff and he immediately knew that the Grandeur's galley needed to be updated, just by sitting there watching the wait staff do their thing. The silverware and plates were literally thrown into the bussing stations, which were right next to the tables. The noise was deafening. The servers/bussers would also drop food onto the floor while scraping plates, walk in it and drag it back to the tables on their shoes. Believe me, DH had more than one "quiet-off-to-the-side" talk to with the restaurant manager. Yeah, big deal...nothing changed. It got to the point where 2 or 3 nights we actually ate in the buffet, as it was much more peaceful and the ambience certainly wasn't any worse. Since there's no specialty restaurant on the Grandeur, we felt stuck.

Since you're so close to us, it's a real shame that now Baltimore is bringing an even older ship, NCL Majesty, to port. A deal breaker for us is no balcony, so I won't be keeping my money in my own state. Too bad. We have a brand new terminal that's a breeze to use, yet......:(

helenp..We did the 9-night on GOS and the cost was almost $700 more than what we may be paying for the 11-night on the Noordam. I find RCI's prices incredibly expensive.

Many moons ago, DH was in the hotel/restaurant/hospitality business. He knows his stuff and he immediately knew that the Grandeur's galley needed to be updated, just by sitting there watching the wait staff do their thing. The silverware and plates were literally thrown into the bussing stations, which were right next to the tables. The noise was deafening. The servers/bussers would also drop food onto the floor while scraping plates, walk in it and drag it back to the tables on their shoes. Believe me, DH had more than one "quiet-off-to-the-side" talk to with the restaurant manager. Yeah, big deal...nothing changed. It got to the point where 2 or 3 nights we actually ate in the buffet, as it was much more peaceful and the ambience certainly wasn't any worse. Since there's no specialty restaurant on the Grandeur, we felt stuck.

Since you're so close to us, it's a real shame that now Baltimore is bringing an even older ship, NCL Majesty, to port. A deal breaker for us is no balcony, so I won't be keeping my money in my own state. Too bad. We have a brand new terminal that's a breeze to use, yet......:(

Karen, You are so right. Everytime I see the prices they charge I am amazed. All of their ships are just inferior and the food is awful. Friends just got off the Jewel of the Seas and confirmed everything both of us thought.

Sadly, both NCL and RCCL only put their oldest, miserable ships in off beat ports (Boston, Phila, & Balt) and I assume they get quite a few 1st time cruisers who think it is so convenient they try it. BUT.....I would think they don't get too many repeat cruisers. I am always very much aware of any ship that leaves from one of these ports - bad experience. Just a few yrs ago HAL had a 10nt Carib cruise on the Rotterdam out of Phila in March. It was a huge success and went out full. We had a wonderful time, but HAL has never come back to this market. I guess they think we are close enough to NYC to book the Noordam. We have done this 3x and will sail on her again this Feb. but now HAL has decided to give up their cruises out of NYC. Lots of NE mariners who are extremely disappointed.

Karen, You are so right. Everytime I see the prices they charge I am amazed. All of their ships are just inferior and the food is awful. Friends just got off the Jewel of the Seas and confirmed everything both of us thought.

Well, all I can say is there are many, many CC posters on the RCI board who have sailed from Baltimore on the Grandeur repeatedly and love it more and more every time. To each his/her own. ;)

Archived