Fires in Greece

tropicalkerry2002

Just wondered what is happening to cruises that have Greek ports scheduled during this sad time for Greece?

We have a stop in Corfu on our Oct 2nd Venice to Barcelona. There we were to meet my husband's cousin and her husband, who retired there from England. We have never met before, but they were going to show us around, take us to their favourite places, and favourite taverna.

We have been in contact via email, but I last emailed almost a week ago to let them know we are thinking of them and praying for their safety, and I haven't heard back. I'm sure communication is not the best, and am hoping to hear good news soon.

But for now... just wondering how other's Greek stops are affected.

We are booked on the Greek Islands voyage aboard the Nautica in October next year (luckily not this year), I hope the damage of the fires will long be over before then. By the way, for those of you who may know, which is more devastating, the Greek fires now or Hurricane Katrina a few years ago?

Here is a copy of a letter I received from our Athenian Friend:

Kalimera from Athens !

I would like deeply to thank you for your message and above all for your concern.

It has been really very difficult for all the Greeks and for our country what is going on the last 5 days now. There were and still are fires burning all over Greece in the mainland as well as on the islands but the major catastrophe has taken place in the peninsula of the Peloponnese (on the west side of which is Olympia) and believe me, I cannot find words to describe the tragedy that has been caused : thick forests of various trees varieties especially of pines burnt, magnificent landscapes in the whole peninsula of the Peloponnese totally lost, a significant number of villages and communities have been destroyed along with the people's properties and farming lands and above all human lifes. I don't honestly know what kind of people are those who have caused such pain and despair to all of us, and we have stayed behind looking at what has happened without believing it - you have the feeling that it is a bad dream, a nightmare and when you open your eyes it will disappear.

True is true that the fire reached Olympia but the site itself as well as the museum where saved, on the other hand part of its surrounding area was burnt.

I was in Katakolon last Thursday because I had until the end of the week private tours and I experienced partially the disaster : the worst day was Saturday when the sky was covered with thick clouds of smoke, the sun was hidden and you couldn't tell what time of the day was. In the evening and at night you could see the big fires burning on the mountains and it was like "lava" running all over. I left on Sunday morning and only yesterday as I heart on the TV news they managed to control it on this side of the peninsula.

Concerning Athens we had also fires on the surrounding mountains but without affecting the life of the Athenians, on the other hand the city has lost the major percentage of its surrounding thick forests that were its " protective natural walls " and undoubtedly we speak about a dramatic environmental change.

Now all of us we are in action, hoping to help effectively and relive the pain of people that are suffering. I only wish that no one of us in the world will have to face same or similar situation (I try to be optimistic but under the present day circumstances it is quite difficult)

Thank you again for your concern and I hope that next time that we will be in touch, I will be able to give you only good news !!!

We just got back from the Athens to Istanbul cruise.

We could not go to Olympia from Katakolon as all roads were closed. While we sat in the harbor the ship was covered with ash and we could see fire fighting planes getting water from the sea.

Corfu, an island, was fine and we had a good time there.

We also missed Mykonos as there were high winds and the ship could not dock or tender. We were told this is common at Mykonos.

I was on the same cruise - very sad day/weeks for those living in the Peloponnese. Seeing the fires from the ship was pretty scary and those poor people in the shops in Katakolon - many lost their homes or were in danger of losing them. We spoke to a number that had packed up what they could and brought them to the store with them that morning. It seemed odd to me that they'd even be in the shop but then realized - what other option did they really have with all the roads being closed.

Archived