St Lucia excursion and sea Ants/Lice

sunshine66

I just got back from the Southern Carribbean and we were in St Lucia. We took a snorkling excursion which was amazing until we were bitten by sea ants/lice.

If you plan to go snorkling in SL, google sea lice/ants and learn about these little buggers. My DH has not stopped itching and may take up a week.

I was stung along with several others on the tour. One woman had welts on her body, these are the larvea of jelly fish.. Who knew.. It was crazy because you can not see them..

Also on another note, if you are in St Lucia and get a taxi on your own, be very careful. Many of the people on our cruise hired taxis to take them places and then nexver came back to get them.

There were 60 people missing when it was time to get on the ship..

This was the only island that was a problem but it was a big problem so be careful...

• 2 weeks later...
There is a relatively new product called Safe Sea that prevents jellyfish and sea lice stings. I know that it prevents jellyfish stings first hand, so I'm confident that it works with sea lice as well. You can find it at http://www.buysafesea.com/

Jeff

This stuff WORKS use it last Oct 2006 at Coco kay swimmed thru a big jelley fish group did not get a single sting in fact they moved away quite fast. Another group with us got stung very bad.

Paul

There is a relatively new product called Safe Sea that prevents jellyfish and sea lice stings. I know that it prevents jellyfish stings first hand, so I'm confident that it works with sea lice as well. You can find it at http://www.buysafesea.com/

Jeff

This stuff WORKS use it last Oct 2006 at Coco kay swimmed thru a big jelley fish group did not get a single sting in fact they moved away quite fast. Another group with us got stung very bad.

Paul

Thank you both so much for this information. I have a cruise booked for the Caribbean next Feb. that leaves 2 days after a full moon, so naturally we'll be in the islands right at the 8-10 day time period after a full moon that the jellyfish seem to be the biggest problem.

Did either of you by chance use the lotion that is the sunblock combo, or do you recommend just sticking with the orginal formula. - SF

Thank you both so much for this information. I have a cruise booked for the Caribbean next Feb. that leaves 2 days after a full moon, so naturally we'll be in the islands right at the 8-10 day time period after a full moon that the jellyfish seem to be the biggest problem.

Did either of you by chance use the lotion that is the sunblock combo, or do you recommend just sticking with the orginal formula. - SF

Yes ours did include sunblock. Was not sure at first until I check the bottle.

DW bought the stuff from thier web and about once a month we get ads from them. Now we have three bottles on hand One going into each bag.

Paul

I'm pretty sure ours had sunscreen in it.

I’ll be in SL in Feb and am looking for a good snorkeling tour. Can you tell me which private one you booked? I’ve been to Anse Chastanet Beach and the snorkeling was good there, I was thinking of just taking a cab from the cruise ship but I have no idea how far it is to the Anse Chastanet. Anybody know this info? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the jellyfish repellent info. I think I’ll order some.

I’ll be in SL in Feb and am looking for a good snorkeling tour. Can you tell me which private one you booked? I’ve been to Anse Chastanet Beach and the snorkeling was good there, I was thinking of just taking a cab from the cruise ship but I have no idea how far it is to the Anse Chastanet. Anybody know this info? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the jellyfish repellent info. I think I’ll order some.

Will let you know How our snorkel trip turns out . We have book thru Island divers a day package which inc. useage of Ti Kaye resort beach items,pool and lunch Will inc two snorkel sites. They will pick us up near the pier and take us to the dive shop by boat Cost

Paul

Archived