Differences between British and American English

calikak

Just so you know the names.

Minced lamb makes Shepherds Pie

Minced beef makes Cottage Pie.

I always add a tin of Heinz Baked Beans to the mix before it gets the mash on top.

Toad in the hole is a favoUrite of mine, I have not had fag_ots for a long while, and a bacon butty is a must on cold mornings (add a fried egg, ketchup and brown sause and you have be dribbling.....)

Dogs bol_ocks is oft shortened to "The Dogs", meaning "The best" of something.

Stupid language filter!!!!

5037780511315_200.jpg

******s, fagg0ts, fag0ts, ******'s

sorry about that, just wanted to see if I could fool the electronic language police into producing something that actually resembles the perfectly respectable word in question.

The Pocket Oxford Dictionary gives the following definition:

"fagg0t (US fag0t) ball of seasoned chopped liver etc, baked or fried."

Jimmy

PS - I'm not promoting the case for this famous English/Welsh delicacy. If it has to be offal, I much prefer haggis :) It has the added advantage that no one has yet found a reason for the language filter to render it as h****s

One of the guest beers in English pubs is called Dogs Bollocks. Most drinkers point and say "a pint of that please" http://www.beerlabels.com/labels/labels.pl/2623/the-dogs-bollocks-beer.html

Treacle tart recipe - Shortcrust pastry home made or frozen, enough to line a 10" dish or flan case and extra for topping. 85 gramms breadcrumbs. 200 gramms Golden Syrup. 75 gramms Black treacle. 200 ml double cream. 2 eggs beaten. 2 tbsp of lemon juice.

Heat oven to gas 4 350f

Fridge the pastry for an hour, roll out and line dish, retaining extra for later.

Mix all ingedients together and fill on to the lined dish or plate.

Roll out the rest of the pastry and slice into 5cm strips.

Lay these on the top of the filling, radiating out fron the centre as a clock face.

Bake for 40 mins. or whatever till it looks done.

Serve with Birds Custard Original (instructions are on the pack)

David.

Bubble and Squeak gosh that takes me back (a comfort food from childhood). Usually made with left overs comprising of mashed potato boiled cabbage and onion fried up with a dollup of dripping).

If you add chopped bacon (British not American:) ) it makes a very nice lunch dish

What is the difference between British bacon and American bacon.

That's a tricky question, and I'm prepared to be contradicted by people who know more on the subject than I do. However, from my experience of breakfasting courtesy of the United States Army on the odd occasion during my own army career, I think that American bacon tends to be cooked until it's crispy then broken up into small segments before serving. British bacon is simply fried or grilled until it's turned pink then served as whole rashers. The precise amount of frying or grilling is, of course, a matter of personal taste; but I think it's likely that the average person from the USA would find the British variety a little underdone.

Hope I've got that right - if I haven't I'll be interested in the other replies.

Jimmy

British bacon (back bacon) is thicker (although not as thick as gammon slices) and not fried to a crisp. It looks like this:

75.jpg

American bacon comes from the belly of the pic and looks like this :

g_12.jpg

Canadian bacon however, looks like this:

51RPYB3PERL._SS500_.jpg

:D Do the potatoes need to be instant or "real" just kidding I hate instant mashed potatoes.

Either:) It's an easy dish made even easier if you use a good instant. Yo do need to make sure that, if you don't use the whole bag of instant, you tie the neck rather than getting one with a fastener:D

Great thread. As a guy that was born and raised just north of Cambridge,UK but has lived in Canada for over 14 yrs of my life.

PEOPLE- ITS "HERBS" not "ERBS" there is an "H" in there:D

My wife [canadian through and through] got a big chuckle out of me when I came over and asked her what a "PETE'S AREA" was [pronounce it just like that and you will see what I mean]

Its actually PIZZERIA but how was I to know! Though I got her back. I brought her back to the UK when we got married. We were driving up through Buxton in Derbyshire when she asked what those animals were on the hillside. I told her they were Woolly Pigs. For approximately two minutes she thought that was amazing till I had to let her know they were sheep. I still have the bruises to this day!:)

When we were on a tour in Northern Ireland a few years back, we noticed that the sheep had spray paint on their sides. We asked our guide why, and he said, "The ones with green paint are Republicans, and the ones with orange paint are Unionists. See how they share their fields so well? It gives us hope for peace."

Karie, you always make me think of that song, "Lady Is a Tramp." :D

Spotted Dick has to be my favorite silly name for a food.

My wife [canadian through and through] got a big chuckle out of me when I came over and asked her what a "PETE'S AREA" was [pronounce it just like that and you will see what I mean]

Its actually PIZZERIA but how was I to know!

Are we married? are you my husband posting and I don't know? :eek:

Thank you. I believe I will stick with bacon the "American" way. cripsy....

No, try the English bacon! It will remind you of ham, if it were rather strongly smoked--think country ham.

I think in the UK they call US style (made from the belly) bacon "streaky bacon".

Both are delicious.

Archived