USA TODAY: Smoking News and Trends

C 2 C

Perhaps the cruise industry should designate the Port side of the ship smoking so that people can book their cabins knowing that they will not be irritating their neighbors with their smoke. I have booked the port side of the ship and have ensured a balcony. I truly do not want to cause anyone to have a miserable time on their cruise due to my addiction and also do not want to feel uncomfortable while smoking on my balcony.

As a nonsmoker who has a very strong reaction to cigarette smoke, I so appreciate your consideration. I think if everyone took your stance of cooperation and compromise, this would not be such a huge issue. We all--smokers and nonsmokers--deserve to enjoy our vacations. So thanks for this perspective.

Susan

PS--here's a link of another article by Michael Shaw--just his perspective on science overall. Puts the prior article in context.

http://www.gasdetection.com/news2/health_news_digest14.html

As a leper (smoker), who would has tried several times to stop, I hope one day I will BUT in the meantime, if all smokers took a little more time to be as considerate as possible, then perhaps we can get on in harmony.

I have met many many people on vacation, and never once, has my smoking stopped people getting to know me and love me for the person I am. Likewise, I do not judge others on their habits but take them as I find them.

What I DO do however, is first and foremost:

When I book a vacation, I check the smoking policy. If I cannot live with their policy, then I dont book it. If I can, then I abide by the rules.

Please smokers, do NOT attempt to smoke in non smoking areas on board, it will only add the the great debate!

I dont smoke strong cigarettes on vacation, I deliberately buy 0.01% tar cigarettes as opposed to 16% (BIG difference) as they produce a far far lighter smoke which evaporates in seconds and causes little irritation to others. (These cigarettes are only available in UK not on board the ship and have never found in the states!) I know if someone has been in my house with "ordinary" cigarettes. I cant imagine how irritating it must be for non smokers when they have a cigar or pipe smoker next to them. I hate the smell so how on earth is it for them. I find the smell of "ordinary" cigarettes like "Malboroughs" really strong and horrible, so I guess non smokers really must hate it!

I do NOT smoke INSIDE my suite. I dont smoke in my bedroom at home so wouldnt dream of doing so in my cabin.

I take a little pot and fill with sand or pebbles for my balcony and add a little water. This way I can ensure I am not a fire risk, and my ash wil not blow on to other balconies.

I dont expect anyone to clean up my flith. I never leave a dirty ash tray for staff to clean, and even in lounges I am known to carry anti bac wet wipes both for my hands, and also to pop in ashtrays so that when staff go to lift it, they are lifting an ashtray covered with an anti bac wipe.

In my suite, I clean my own mess!

I also take little fragranced tealight safety candles for the balcony which I use all the time at home and am diligently careful with. I put one inside a safety pot, and if I am smoking, the candle absorbs the smoke and again deters any smoke filtering into my neighbours cabin. Every little bit helps and to date, I have never ever had anyone complain next to me, and neighbours have always been pleasant and kind so I know as yet I have upset nobody.

My husband doesnt smoke and doesnt mind me smoking. In fact he tells me not to worry about it but I do, and I do care how I affect others!

I have to say if someone was rude to me over my smoking on a cruise I would not hesitate to tell them where to get off. I have paid thousands for my vacation, checked with the company policy and will not be make to feel uncomfortable by anyone during my hard earned vacation!

I live an otherwise extremely healthy lifestyle. I have had some very sad times in my life which have resulted in the fact that I do still smoke. It is MY choice, and my problem to deal with.

I own two visitor centres and believe me, cleaning wc's up after a fat unhealthy eating person has been in there is NOT a pleasant duty! I loathe greasy fried food and it makes me sick watching people pig out. Talk about smells...try cleaning up after these people! I might clean my ashtray, but I have yet to see some smelly person carrying around a bottle of discinfectant and air freshner! My staff and I have had to clean the most disgusting messes after unhealthy people who eat garbage, leave their semi digested garbage for us to clean up! So dont think that all non smokers are perfect, for they aint!!! The difference is we dont go up to smelly unhealthy people and say "hey pig, you stink!" But light up a cigarette, and yep, we hear the sarcastic rude and offensive remarks come flying in!

There are a few posters on here, who are downright rude and self righteous. They are not the kind of people I would be likley to form a friendship with anyway, so I couldnt care less what they think of my habit. In fact, if I found myself next to them I might indeed be tempted to be less caring and considerate!

Would I however judge a person by their weight NO WAY! I am happy to meet people no matter their size, shape, colour or creed. If a good friend of mine was living an unhealthy lifestyle, I would by way of friendship try to help them change their diet, I wouldnt mock them or scorn them! Just as my friends try to help me stop smoking, they dont offend me or rage at me, they just care about me and care that I live longer!

So for those ignorant people who have nothing else to moan about except smokers, go book Azamara, we cancelled three suites on there, so plenty room for you! You can sit out on your balcony to your hearts content, and find something else new to whinge about...

In the meantime, on our next cruise, lets see, there are eight of us, three suites, one ocean view with three balconies and five smokers... and we are gonna have a ball! We are all self employed, work our butts off and as long as we abide by the rules, we will enjoy every minute of our hard earned vacation!

In the present day, in the world of terror we live in, I am only too happy to be cruising with like minded passengers who, at a minutes warning, would be by my side in the event of disaster. I am happy to feel safe on board, know that my fellow ship mate is not a mass terrorist nor a junkie nor murderer...

BE THANKFUL for your neighbour, be he/she smoking, non smoking, black, white, yellow, fat, thin, or whatever... as long as he/she has a smile and a warm hello....THATS what matter in THIS life!

PEACE:)

As a fat person, I must say I found your post very upsetting.

You are suggesting that the only people who have ever been sick in your premises were " fat unhealthy eating people. "

You are suggesting only fat people ever over eat .

Are you saying no drunks, smokers or thin people have ever been sick or made a mess there ?

I am fat, but I also loathe greasy food, never eat any, nor chips, nor garbage. I never eat unhealthy foods, and I live on salad, fruit, vegetables and chicken. I have also never "pigged out "

I have never been sick in anyone else' s space, and if I did , I would most certainly clean my own mess up, or die in the attempt.

I also do not smell.

I think that in attempting to make your point you have been careless in your choose of words.

Archived