Double Decker Bus tour in SF

try2hunymoon

Hello,

We will be docking at pier 30/32 according to "the net."

We were thinking of taking the City Sightseeing Double Decker (hop on/hop off) downtown bus tour. Would one of the stops be walking distance to the pier?

How about the capsule cars? My husband is 6'5". Would he fit comfortably enough to drive one of these little buggers? We have a hard enough time finding him a regular car to drive.

Are there any other tours you may recommend that might be walking distance from the pier?

Also, we were planning on taking an Alcatraz tour. How much time should we budget to do this leaving from pier 33 and returning back to pier 33? We have never been before.

Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance!

Welcome to our city. She is beautiful. The double decker bus will stop down at Fishermans wharff. The alcatraz tickets can be purchased there as well. Tourist season is slowing down so lines wont be too bad. The alcatraz thing takes about two hours (at least for me) You can also catch the cable car near here as well. when you arrive pick up a courtesy map that tells you where the lines are. Keep your eyes open for Ghiradelli Chocolate factory. One of the things I love to do is spend time in little itally...also known as North Beach. There are cafes, bistros, and people who love the city life. It's really beautiful at night and worth a stop...either in the morning for espresso and pastry, or the evening for wine, antipasta, and pasta. There is so much to do and see here. I hope this helps.

Your husband might be a little too tall for the capsule cars. You didn't post the date of arrival, but FYI: Piers 30-32 are not next to Pier 33. All even numbered piers run south of Market St along the Embarcadero. All odd numbered piers run north of Market St along the Embarcadero. I don't think the double-decker buses stop near Piers 30-32.

I see you're on the Norwegian Pearl arriving 9/26/07. That happens to be our triple header day - three ships in port. The Radiance of the Seas and Coral Princess will be docking at Piers 27 and 35. Your ship drew the short stick- the pier furthest away from Fisherman's Wharf.

Yes, tourist season is winding down, and therefore shorter lines. But it might be wise to pre-purchase your Alcatraz tickets online. Remember, you're contending with 2 other ships in port.

I believe there's a bus stop a half block away from the ballpark. I remember I wouldn't let them through during the All-Star workout day/homerun derby (I eventually let them through since the tourists would be confused). I'll see if I can check for you. Maybe I can flag one down.

I just looked at their map. Looks like the closest stop will be the Ferry Building Stop (A4) or South of Market (A5). That's funny because on the day before the All-Star game, they were coming down 2nd St and the stop was on 2nd St between Harrison and King. They have a toll-free number: 1-800-481-7820 maybe they can clarify.

http://www.buysanfranciscotours.com/images/vista/city_sightseeing_route_map_san_francisco.gif

Thanks for the help SFPD.

It looks to me (thanks to Microsoft Streets and Trips), that each of those two stops is about 0.7mi or (1.1-1.2 km) away. Depending how energetic we feel, that could be walking distance. I can't imagine that if a ship is in port that taxis won't be in abundance if we chose not to walk anyway.

Is the Embarcadero open to vehicle traffic, or is it pedestrian only?

Thanks!

The Embarcadero is open to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. I don't know what your plans are, but it looks like the N streetcar (light rail) line goes by Pier 30/32. The nearest stop is a few piers south. But like you said, the double decker stops are within walking distance. Which Alcatraz tour are you booked for? Don't forget that since this is the first US port after Canada, you might have to go through customs. It was a mess when we disembarked here in May.

Pier 30/32 is not a typical boarding pier. It is normally uncovered (we use it as a parking lot for huge events). If a cruise ship is docked there, they put up huge tents for processing passengers. Since you are only here half a day, I doubt they would even do that.

Archived