Entering US with CDN DUI Conviction

2nutz4travel

We are cruising out of Vancouver next June. I am a Canadian citizen and have a DUI conviction from the early 90's. I have been assured by a pardon service firm that because this is only considered to be a misdemeanor in the US my entry (ie boarding the ship) will not be a problem. Has anyone had 1st hand experience with this?

I have travelled to the US many times, even since 9/11, with no problems, but this seems to be becoming more of an issue than even a few years ago. Any insight would be helpful!

Hi Cruiser,

It is funny you are worried about entering the US, my husband and I were also in the same situation about 2 months ago (but opposite directions), when we took a transitional cruise from LA ending in Vancouver.

I was so paranoid about what I had read about DUI's. He also had one in the US (we are US citizens) in the late 80s and I had heard that Canada had become very strict about those entering, because it is considered a felony and they don't allow felons to enter.

We got off of the boat, they looked at his passport, looked at him and we were in. That was it :), all that worrying for nothing.

So, I personally think you will be fine, like you said it is not considered a felony here and the fact that it is so old, should be good to.

Happy Crusing!

Chris

I think if you are getting off the boat heading home, you have nothing to fear. What are they going to do; make you stay on board and cruise again - how horrible.

Where the problem occurs is boarding in a foreign port. Someone with a DUI in the US who drives or flies to Canada to board the ship can very well be turned back at the border. This may be rare, but it does happen.

The Canadians now have full access to the FBI records in the NCIC database. That means the Canadian immigration officer can see everything about you that the police here can - your entire record. If you lie to them when they ask if you have any convictions, and they pull you up in the computer, they will very possibly turn you back for being dishonest.

There is a way to over come this inadmissablility. You have to file an application with the Canadian consulate, pay a $200 fee, and enclose a copy of your FBI file, and state criminal history (or proof of lack thereof) form every state you have lived in for the last 10 years. You have to complete a lenghty questionnaire and send it in for consideration. If approved, your slate is wiped clean, as far as Canada is concerned.

If other countries get access to the FBI database, this could be repeated over and over again for travelers with a DUI or other minor offense from 25 years ago.

Before you point the finger at Canada, they are just reacting appropriately to the way the US authorities are treating their citizens. We do the same thing to them. Stinks, doesn't it?

I use to live at the border in Montana and have seen many, many people turned back. The odds are with you. One thing I use to tell people is, They may ask you when was the last time you crossed. Always say 5 or 6 month ago. And another question is when was the last time you was checked at immagrations. I used to pick out the last holiday near the last 6 month ago. Like now I would say I don't remember a date, but it was just before Easter. I was also asked what color of uinforms immagrations officers wear. Because I didn't know I said he just had a white shirt and tie. Then he told me that was right immagrations officer don't wear a uinform. In 7 years of crossing the border up to 10 times a week I never went to the immagrations office. I must also say don't lie because everyony will be comming down on me!

I forgot a few things that you have to supply with your application to the Canadians:

First, at least five years must have elapsed since the end of any offense (that means completion of sentence, not the date of sentencing.)

Next, you have to give them three pictures of a specific size (not passport pictures.) You have to include three letters of reference from respectable citizens. You must research the laws which you broke, and send copies of the statute and the sentencing statues as well.

They say it can take up to a year to process but I don't know how long it actually takes. With all the bureaucratic hassle invloved, I am sure many people would might otherwise apply are discouraged, and just choose to travel elsewhere.

However, for someone who must travel on business, it can get pretty scary if there is a DUI or a shoplifting charge on the record. Last time I went to Canada on business, I was asked if I had any convictions. I thought that was an odd question, since I had been to Canada before, and to many other countries, and was never asked that before.

After researching the topic, I was astonished to learn how serious all this is.

Archived