BullishCruiser's Pride of Hawaii Review - 8/27/07 Sailing

BullishCruiser

I've written a review which has been posted on the Member Reviews page. Rather than repeat it in the forum, just click the link below, and it will take you there.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=32550

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and I will do my best to answer them.

:D What a big help this review is to help me prepare for my Sept. 29th cruise. I had forgotten about taking a flashlight for VNP Thurston LT, so thanks for the reminder.

How did you like Kimo's? What were the prices like?

You state that the breakfast buffet at Duke's was 15. I read on line somewhere that their Breakfast was 9.95 and lunch 10.95. Was it worth it? I am not a big breakfast eater, but have heard so much about Duke's thought we'd try it pre or post cruise for breakfast or lunch.

We had originally thought about Roberts shuttle for our transportation to hotel, but different posts here had mentioned about being tired and perhaps a cab would be better. Actually,I am "bumping" it up a little and surprising my husband by having ABC limo service pick us up, do Leih greeting and then take us to hotel in the limo. Thought this would be a good surprise for DH to start off the vacation of a lifetime.

We had thought about taking Roberts back to the airport after our one night post cruise stay at a hotel, but now I'm wondering if we are chancing being late to airport, or have to leave much earler in case they have many stops. Am thinking a cab might be better.

Thanks again.

Glad the review helps. I'm sure you'll enjoy Hawaii.

Yup, Duke's breakfast buffet is $15. You can follow the link below to view their menus, including breakfast.

http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/menu_dw.html

Was it worth it? Yes, the food was very good, and the view was fantanstic. Meals in Waikiki are more expensive than at home, so the cost relative to other options wasn't bad. At our hotel, the breakfast buffet was $20 and there was no view of Diamond Head or the Pacific Ocean. By chance, we saw the funeral on the beach. This wasn't a funeral in the conventional sense of people gathering in black outfits. It seemed more like a celebration of someone's life that was colorful and interesting. It struck me as something beautifully Hawaiian.

Kimo's, like Duke's, is a restaurant owned by TS Restaurants. I don't think you'll go wrong at any of their locations. I had the Coconut Crusted Island Fish. The food was delicious and the view was fabulous. The lanai at the back goes right up to the water.

http://www.kimosmaui.com/menu_km.html

Great idea to hire a limo to surprise your hubby. Better to start your vacation "in style" than to waste an hour on a bus. As far as returning to the airport, it sounded like they picked you up very early and the trip to the airport could take awhile. I decided to reserve from Hertz for two days post cruise while we were in Waikiki before the cruise started.

Don't get me wrong about Roberts. They were reliable and did a great job on the three excursions we took with them. I just think the 50 person capacity buses are too big to be used as airport shuttles, which means they will make many stops to fill a bus and at busy times, they will.

Santaloveroh, thanks for enlightening me, although I feel a little silly now :o . Who'da thunk that the Union Jack would find its way into a U.S. state's flag? Especially, Hawaii, our youngest state.

MichellP, thanks for reading the review. Your many contributions to this board and the links in your signature were tremendously helpful and added to our enjoyment of Hawaii.

BullishCruiser;

I so much appreciate your detailed review of your entire vacation...from the pre-cruise, cruise and post-cruise; as we are doing the same thing beginning this saturday 9/22!

We are so ready for our Hawaiian vacation!!

The helpful people on cruisecritic have really helped us plan our vacation. Thanks so much for all the tips cruisecritics!

God Bless!

Aloha, It was nice to meet you and your dw. I enjoyed reading your review. We also had a wonderful time in paradise.It's great to know that you both were able to do so much even with the knee problem. I can sympathise with your wife because I was in the same position years ago just before I went on a vacation and I had to get wheelchair service at the Airports. I'm glad she didn't miss out on seeing our beautiful state of Hawaii. We also will be back again some day.

Mahalo,

Kat

Archived