BA, BB Balcony Cabins on CP

hamptod

I don't know if I can ask this but here goes. I am trying to book my very first cruise on the CP for Juyl 2005. I have received several quotes from Amex, Princess directly and an online booking agency. None are giving many of the bells and whistles so many talk about but the pricing itself seems to be about the same. For someone who has never done this, how do I absolutely know that I am not paying too much.

Another thing, I am trying to use the promotion through Amex Platinum that gives you the 2 category upgrade. The price quoted for the BA caribe balcony with the upgrade seems to be almost the same price as the quotes received by the other two sources. I guess this is what makes me suspicious.

Also if anyone has ever stayed in C531 or C535 or C523 on the CP, what did you think of these rooms and the locations.

I have to decide by Sunday which deal I am going to go with.

Deborah

Another thing, I am trying to use the promotion through Amex Platinum that gives you the 2 category upgrade. The price quoted for the BA caribe balcony with the upgrade seems to be almost the same price as the quotes received by the other two sources. I guess this is what makes me suspicious.

Frequently 2 category upgrades are given for certain categories and certain sailings. These are offered by everyone because it is a Princess promo. One source may be stating the 2 category upgrade and the other sources may not. I'd call Princess and ask if that is with a 2 category upgrade and then you'll know.

I am trying to book my very first cruise on the CP for Juyl 2005. None are giving many of the bells and whistles so many talk about but the pricing itself seems to be about the same. Deborah
Don't know what bells and whistles you are looking for but "specials" generally are not offered, except category upgrades, much before 6-7 months prior to sailing.

These are price reductions. Certain TAs including on-line might offer shipboard credits at any time.

BJS's advice is right on target, I'll only add a personal note that those BB cabins are great! Those mid-ship locations you're choosing from are conveniently located to much of the ship too.

We had one on the Caribbean Princess earlier this summer and just loved it.

There are certain restrictions on the AMEX upgrades. It depends on the offer. If it's out of one of the flyers they routinely send out, check the fine print in the back. Sometimes it's only for certain categories or sailing dates. Bookings are very steady for next year, and some have reported that prices for cruises already booked by them have gone up. Regardless of your choice, you should have a great time.

BJS's advice is right on target, I'll only add a personal note that those BB cabins are great! Those mid-ship locations you're choosing from are conveniently located to much of the ship too.

We had one on the Caribbean Princess earlier this summer and just loved it.

Chris, what actually sold me on the CP is the reviews you and your daughter Sydney did about a month or so ago. You two should become writers. I was completely sold and vicariously lived through a cruise experience reading your postings. This will be my second cruise and I can't wait. That coupled with the detailed and excellent advice I've been reading on these boards let me to the caribe deck. I chose those particular cabins because there will be 3 of us traveling. I have all three cabins on hold through the respective agencies. I will definitely call Princess and ask for clarification about the 2 category upgrade. I must say this is all very confusing but I'm determined to get it right!! Is there usually a huge price difference between a BC and BB's, BA cabins? That what my upgrade pricing was based on. I like doubl-checking with you folks so I know that I am getting a fair and good deal.

Good to hear the cabins are well located. After reading this and other boards, I realize how important cabin location is.

Tell Sydney that I will be looking for Devonish when I go next year! Hopefully he will still be on the ship.

As for the bells and whistles, I have read so much about cabin credits being offered when booking and neither of my sources did that.

Don't know what bells and whistles you are looking for but "specials" generally are not offered, except category upgrades, much before 6-7 months prior to sailing.

These are price reductions. Certain TAs including on-line might offer shipboard credits at any time.

This is exactly what I was looking for. One said if there were deductions down the road, they would reduce the amount of the cruise. None said they would issue ship credits instead and none have offered ship board credits as a carrot to book with them. The exception is Amex based on their Platinum Travel Service but only if I book a suite. Oops, can I say that?

Don't want to get in trouble.

Thx so much for the quick response!!

Deborah

booked on Golden for 5-22-05 British Isles.

Cat BA and BC were $60.00 more than BB for the 10 days ($ 6.00 per day pp).

We booked cat BB have Carib 238 :)

Interesting. I was told the BD was a lower category. That's why I like you guys, good information to use to compare.

Thx

Deborah

Interesting. I was told the BD was a lower category. That's why I like you guys, good information to use to compare.Thx

Deborah

It is considered a lower category but that doesn't necessarily mean a lower price. As you are finding this all is hard to figure out because there are no "set" rules on pricing. You posted to start
For someone who has never done this, how do I absolutely know that I am not paying too much.
I think the answer is just research the cruise and find the best price at the time you book, make sure that price will be honored should prices go down (you may not be able to take advantage if those price reductions are for new bookings only or regional promos and you don't qualify) and then keep an eye on the prices and get the reduced price for the cruise you book should it go down. Don't rely on any one else to keep an eye out for price reductions. You will always find some who have paid less than you and you will find many more who have paid more than you did. If you are going to be unhappy to find someone else paid less then don't ask what they paid. There is a lot of talk about someone paying less but that might not be for the category or sailing that you are on so ignore them because you can't get a true comparison unless it is for the exact category and cruise and from the same region. Also if this is your first cruise you will not have the advantage of past passenger promo rates.

If you are comfortable with the price you paid that is all that counts. The main thing is to just enjoy your cruise.

It is considered a lower category but that doesn't necessarily mean a lower price. As you are finding this all is hard to figure out because there are no "set" rules on pricing. You posted to start I think the answer is just research the cruise and find the best price at the time you book, make sure that price will be honored should prices go down (you may not be able to take advantage if those price reductions are for new bookings only or regional promos and you don't qualify) and then keep an eye on the prices and get the reduced price for the cruise you book should it go down. Don't rely on any one else to keep an eye out for price reductions. You will always find some who have paid less than you and you will find many more who have paid more than you did. If you are going to be unhappy to find someone else paid less then don't ask what they paid. There is a lot of talk about someone paying less but that might not be for the category or sailing that you are on so ignore them because you can't get a true comparison unless it is for the exact category and cruise and from the same region. Also if this is your first cruise you will not have the advantage of past passenger promo rates.

If you are comfortable with the price you paid that is all that counts. The main thing is to just enjoy your cruise.

BJS, again excellent advice and thank you. I spent the majority of yesterday scouring every avenue I could trying to compare apples to apples and you're right, once I feel that I have done my homework, I will book my cruise and continually check for price reductions and specials. I did make a point of asking each of the sources that have given me pricing if I could reduce the amount should the cost go down. Each told me what you just did, I can only do it if the reduction is not limited to new bookings only.

This will be my first cruise with Princess, my last cruise was with Carnival. I don't think I can take advantage of past passenger promos. Although, when I recently received a brochure from Carnival, on the back of it, it indicated that you could possiblly receive a reduction for traveling on a Cunard owned ship. That is, for example, if you sailed on Carnival, you may get a small reduction for traveling on one of their other lines such as Princess. I am going to confirm that at the time of booking.

Finally, the plus and minus to reading these boards is that for me at least, I have become somewhat intimidated about doing this the "right" way. I know, I know, I shouldn't let that deter me but when you read some of the postings here, it can be that way. I have tried to follow the more positive advice and comments and am positively trying to ignore the others. In the end, once I book tomorrow, it will be over and done with. The most important thing will be that I have done what is best for me and my family. I am going to put this in the same category as I do about work and salaries. Don't ask, don't tell. Do you really want to always know that someone is making more/less than you. Not me. Postivie energy, that's my motto!!

If you cruised with Carnival you should be entitled to past passenger promos from what I've read. These are not available for all sailings or categories but can be a substantial savings when they are available. Your Carnival cruises will just not count toward Captain's Circle standing as each line has their own "loyalty" program and they are not interchangeable.

Archived