205 members have voted

1. 1. Sea Sickness Prevention

• Scopolamine Patch
    • Bonine/Dramamine II
    • Regular Dramamine
    • Ginger
    • Sea Bands
    • Nothing

Hey Becky! Hope you are starting to return back to normal down there girl!!!!!

I take the 500MG capsules... I generally take 2 the night before, 2 in the morning, then a couple more about an hour before doing anything I might have an opportunity to get motion sickness... then a couple of hours later, I take a few more, just in case. Generally they say to take a gram of powdered, and since i take them in capsule form, I up it a bit... you can also chew on fresh ginger but it is so bitter to after a while!!! There have been so many studies conducted on the benefits of ginger for motion sickness... even pregnant women take it to help with morning sickness! It is fabulous, it is cheap and there are no side effects... i swear by the stuff!

Goincruisin,

Thanks for the info. on Ginger. Look at your count down clock, you'll be cruising soon.

Tampa has returned to normal. The park near my house looks like a tree grave yard, it has trees and tree limbs stacked high waiting to be mulched.

Although, I don't know if I get seasick, I really don't want to know!:D

I cut the patch in half and wear it behind my ear for 3 days. So far, no sea sickness.

Dont cut the patches in half!....they release all the medication at once when you cut them....they were designed to work on the principles of Osmosis....releasing medication slowly from an area of high concentration (inside the patch)...to an area of low concentration (Your skin). You are actually getting more medication...not less...by cutting them. Same is true for any of the new medications delivered through these permiable membrane patches...blood pressure meds etc... It is not good to cut them.

My daughter gets sea sickness, we found this out the 1st day of our cruise. She took one bonine every morning thereafter and never felt sea sick again. She said bonine doesn't make you tired and crabby like dramamine does. I don't know about the crabby part, LOL, but she was fine for the rest of the cruise.

Just came back from Legend NYC October 14-22. Last night, dishes were breaking all over Truffles Lounge while we were plowing through 20 foot seas at 20 knots. When it is dark outside and you cannot see the horizon, it can be disconcerting at best inside of the boat. I have never been seasick but still had several minutes of "touch and go" where I felt giddy.

Betty's Husband

Our daughter worked for a cruise line for several years...she and the crew she worked with swear by ginger....her Dad gets sick easily...apples and crackers work best for him...even though he has a prescription for motion sickness. I just take ginger if I "think about it" (getting queasy...I think mine is in my mind!) :D

Bonine put me to sleep many years ago on our first Alaska cruise. In 2002 I used the Patch and it worked great. So this past summer I used the Patch again and had severe side effects. One eye dilated completely and stayed dilated for 5 days. Everything was blurry and I had to wear sunglasses because my pupil wouldn't close when outside. I called my doctor from the ship and he said to get the patch off immediately and drink lots of water. It was pretty scary for a while, but my vision eventually came back. So now I can't use the patch anymore. I don't know why the difference from 2 years ago. Now I have to figure out what to use on our next cruise in February.

On my Alaska cruise this last September, on the last day we hit 20 to 25 ft waves. The ship was riding pretty well and I felt fine. That afternoon I went down to the cabin to finish packing. Big mistake! Bending over the suit cases was all it took to get my tummy going. I took a Bonine tablet and went up on deck. Within a half an hour I was eating like a starving person at the lido buffet. I had no bad side affects, except for being able to eat even more calories that I didn't need.

My husband and I took Bonine starting the day before the cruise - we took one at breakfast and one at dinner for the duration of the cruise and did great. Our friends changed their patches mid-cruise and coun't see for an entire day! She also got pregnant on the cruise and was on birth control! Don't know if the patch had anything to do with that or not - but it might be worth looking into! :)

Hi, my first cruise I wore the patch, got really spacy...Just came back from my third cruise, I used meclizine, $10 for 100 pills, ask any pharmacy for them. Take one the day before, I took one in the morning with breakfast, one when going to bed, took one the day we left the ship....I didn't feel seasick. I agree keep food in your stomach...that really helps.....

Archived