205 members have voted

1. 1. Sea Sickness Prevention

• Scopolamine Patch
    • Bonine/Dramamine II
    • Regular Dramamine
    • Ginger
    • Sea Bands
    • Nothing

In my 6 cruises, I never once felt sick....not from the boat...it musta been the tequilla...LOL

Actually, I've always heard, and practice keeping something on my stomach....also the medicinal qualities of the drink of the day are fantastic!!! :rolleyes: Try eating small meals, drinking , and having fun..I actually look forward to rough seas...more available chairs around the pool:D

Although I am not cruisin for 3 more weeks, yesterday I bought some Dramamine II. I decided I wanted to see how it made me feel. Last night around 9 p.m. I took one pill. Around 11, I was so tired I felt like I couldn't walk from the couch to my bedroom and this morning I was so drowsy that I missed church!!! Has anyone else experied such severe drowsiness with this product? There is NO WAY I could take this and be on ship. And to even think about drinking alcohol with it!!!!! OMG....

I just wondered if maybe my reaction was so strong because I wasn't doing an activity that it is supposed to help. does that make sense?

Just curious to know if anyone else has felt this way taking this med?

I used dramamine years ago and it had the same effect on me... throw alcohol in and I would be asleep... it reacts to people differently. I tried the non drowsy and did not like it very much either. Some people can take it and some can't, I can't...

I'm in the minority here since I use the scopolamine patch. Each one lasts three days so I don't have to remember to take pills. I never feel sleepy, just thirsty. I know they say don't drink alcohol but I've never had any problem with that at all.;)

I used to get really seasick, so I was a little worried the first time I was going to cruise. I listened to everyone's recommendations and bought some bonine. I took it the morning we embarked, just to be safe - but never felt bad. The only other time I took it the whole trip was the morning we tendered into Belize. i didn't even really need it then because the jet boats were so fast. I forgot to take it hte mornign we tendered into Grand cayman, and that was also the day we went out on a boat with Capt. Marvin's. I did ok on both boats by sitting near an edge and letting the air blow on me. I got a little tiny bit queasy while snorkeling - wished I had remembered the Bonine. However in preparation for this year, I have been going out on a friend's very small boat as frequently as possible and I am happy to say, I can now go out in fairly rough water without the Bonine (still slip it in the pocket just in case).

DH and I have no problem w/ seasickness while on the cruise, but about 3 hours after we get home, the whole world is rocking and rolling and spinning! DH didn't have it so terribly bad, but I had to take bonnine for a week following the cruise until my equilibrium got balanced again... for our upcoming cruise I plan on taking one as soon as I wake up before we even disembark so maybe it won't be so bad...

Kim

I've posted this before. If you DO start feeling queasy:

Don't go to your cabin to lie down. (Worst thing you can do!)

Go to an outside deck as close to the bow as you can.

Look straight ahead - never down at the water.

Try to focus on something on the horizon, or just look slightly up and ahead.

The more fresh breeze on your face, the better!

Yet another reason for a balcony stateroom..... :)

The Bonine (meclazine) worked well for me.

Although I am not cruisin for 3 more weeks, yesterday I bought some Dramamine II. I decided I wanted to see how it made me feel. Last night around 9 p.m. I took one pill. Around 11, I was so tired I felt like I couldn't walk from the couch to my bedroom and this morning I was so drowsy that I missed church!!! Has anyone else experied such severe drowsiness with this product? There is NO WAY I could take this and be on ship. And to even think about drinking alcohol with it!!!!! OMG....

I just wondered if maybe my reaction was so strong because I wasn't doing an activity that it is supposed to help. does that make sense?

Just curious to know if anyone else has felt this way taking this med?

Yep, I felt the same way taking that medication. I was wondering why at 9pm each evening for 4 nights why I just not could stay awake. That was on my first cruise, and ever since, I have not taken anything. I don't need it.

It didn't help that I would have a drink or two during dinner. I always wondered why I just couldn't stay awake.

I am very fortunate. No seasickness so far, however, I have noticed that the iced tea will sometimes upset my stomach so I have to dilute it. Coffee doesn't cause a problem. If my stomach gives me a problem, I take the alka-seltzer type stuff that is provided free (by Carnival) in the infirmary. Always look to the horizon and don't think about it.

Have a great cruise

Rick

I didn't have a problem on our last cruise but I took Dramamine most days just to be safe. They make a "less drowsy" one and I would take it before betime and never felt too tired the next day. I'm not a drinker though so I don't know if the alcohol would make a difference.

Jean

• 3 weeks later...

This is a CUT AND PASTE from a post I MADE yesterday... so there is no copyright infringement... LOL...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am one who considers myself somewhat prone to motion sickness.. I get dizzy when trying to read in a car which is making a fair amount of turns... I do not like the "twirl and spin" rides at amusement parks.

...so I was happy to see that cruising on a LARGE ship did not seem to have the same profound effect on me. After several cruises, some with 15+ foot seas, I have only had fleeting feelings of motion sickness. I made a point not to dwell on those thoughts, and all turned out well. After seeing enough posts recommending various remedies (ginger and bracelets most notably) I felt that at least some (if not many) cases of motion sickness can be attributed to our expectation or fear of becoming sick - and those fears then cycle and build until :eek: ...!

I know for sure that there is a physical component to this as well (inner ear issues) and some people are inherently more prone to such disturbances.

As part of my education, I have done some research on the PLACEBO EFFECT, and I think there may be a little of that going on here.

Check our the following link for some additional tips on dealing with or avoiding motion sickness:

http://www.sandiego.org/nature/s_diveboat.asp

(scroll a little over 2/3 down the web page to find SEASICKNESS)

Note: this is not a professional or medically recognized source (site) for information - but I feel that they make some valid points. Though you may want to disregard the comment about NOT using a toilet or trash can to PURGE, but rather HANG OVER THE EDGE.... you will understand after reading it...LOL

My wife does use the patch - and has to deal with the blurry vision and thirst... with a generally slight ill feeling that does not pass until the patch is removed... but she has not tossed her cookies yet. She will try our next cruise without one - time will tell if she has her SEA LEGS yet..:D

Tom

I have only gotten mildly nauseated and that was on our first cruise on the S/s Norway in Dec 02. We left the first night in a storm - and the ship rocked a bit but I put on those wrist bands and was fine - I only noticed it the most in the dining room.

I have Draminie less Drowsy (meclizine). Is this the same as Bomine/Dramine II?

Yes. Bonine is a trade/brand name for the generic drug meclizine. I am myself, very prone to motion sickness. I can't ride in the back seat of a car or read a book or even a map in the car. And as for the fear of motion sickness, any of my family who were with me on a catamaran last November in Grand Cayman would be able to explain that fear to you! :eek: Cruise ships, however, usually don't bother me one bit. I bring meclizine along to use on unusually rough days at sea, but it is rare that I find it necessary. It works wonders!!! :)

Has anyone tried using crystalized ginger (think that was the name of it)?

Zakity, I have not... I think it is crystalized in sugar? I just take regular ginger pills (from GNC)... I have also been known to drink a little diet ginger ale or nibble on some ginger snaps... But I prefer just the pure ginger pills.

What dosage do you take in the capsules? I saw two different strengths in the health food store.

I haven't been sea sick since the first cruise, but I always take Bonine before leaving land. The memory of the sea sickness is enough to make me take precautions. We got into a terrible storm going from the Bahamas to Florida on the Fantasy. I took the Bonine before leaving the Bahamas and I didn't get sea sick. Although my dh accused me of pulling him off the bed (as he slept soundly though the storm). If you saw him you would laugh at that comment he weighs 100 pds+ more than I do.

Archived