Passport! Why do you fight it?

FromHereToThere

Oh I wouldn't say that. I think those of us who cruise often don't fight it. But I can tell you that many of the first time cruisers, those who may need 4 or more in their family (with kids) have a hard time slapping down $400 for them.

When I take friends with us, if it's their first cruise, their first question is always "Do we have to get a passport THIS year?"

You don't know everyone's financial situation. ;) :)

"Do we have to get a passport THIS year?"

You don't know everyone's financial situation. ;) :)

THIS year will be soon upon many wanting to cruise or vacation in the US.. understandable about the financial situation.. but soon that will be part of the vacation package.. if they do not have one there will be no vacation;)

While passports will soon be required for travel on ships, they are now required for any travel out side the USA by air adn soon by land. They are also a "stand alone" document. They state WHERE you were born, WHEN you were born, and that YOU are a US citzen. Nothing else is required when you apply for a driver's license, Social Security, voter's registration OR anything else that requires identification. They are valid for 10 years. I think it is really a bargin. Get one, you will never regret it.

Back in 2004 I went on a cruise with all my friends. I made them all get passports and they are glad they did.

We live in Michigan so we cross the border a lot. Sometimes we decide the night before to go to Canada. If I hadn't made them get passports, they wouldn't be able to do this.

I think people living in border states are more apt to get a passport than those living in the heartland. We have more opportunities to leave the U.S..

Why is it that everyone fights the need to get a passport? Why are you wanting to leave the country at anytime with out one. I know there are so many who fight wanting to get one, yet, do not have a problem throwing down a deposit for 2+ cruises a year. So why fight it?

THIS year will be soon upon many wanting to cruise ... if they do not have one there will be no vacation;)

While passports will soon be required for travel on ships....

Because while a passport makes travel easier, provides flexibility, in the long run is not all that costly, and all the other good reasons to HAVE a passport, particularly for flying home in an emergency--it is not and will not be NEEDED for most* cruises. Not this year, not next year or the year after that.

*Most meaning a RT cruise from the US for a US citizen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Will I need a passport if I am traveling on a commercial cruise ship?

In addition to the other documents designated under WHTI, a US citizen on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate from and end at the same port of entry in the United States could also carry a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization. Foreign nationals would need a WHTI-designated document to travel to the United States on a cruise ship.

Taken from Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection FAQ website, issued June 2007:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/whti_ls_faq.ctt/whti_ls_faq.pdf

Me and my fiancee are getting ours because her first name isn't the same as whats on her birth certificate. She had her first name changed legally to her nickname that she had been going by for years. Rather then try to explain to the people at the port why her name is different on her drivers license compaired to her BC and probably be told your not getting on the ship where just getting them to make life easier.

I keep putting off getting our passports because of the money. Plain and simple. It would cost us close to $400 to get all four of our passports, and frankly, DH and I can almost go on a cruise for that amount.

I always compare the cost of something expensive to the cost of going on a cruise. I had to have some dental work done a few years ago that cost $600. I complained as I handed over my debit card that I could go on a cruise for that. DH and I were talking about getting new sofas a couple of months ago. I complained that for the amount of money we would be spending, we could spend a week on a ship easy. I put off getting a new computer for years -- even though I'm self-employed and MUST have a computer to do my job -- because for the cost of a new computer I could go on a cruise.

OK, so I know that some may not consider my priorities to be straight, but it's an addiction that must be financed, sometimes at the cost of other necessities!!

I have my passport however my parents do not. This is there first ever cruise (will probably never go on another) and they absolutely REFUSE to fly. Will only go on vacation if they can drive. I do not see a need for them to have a passport.

I guess I am just as strong in my feelings about if you don't need one why bother than everyone else is about saying you have no reason not to and justifying the cost.

Archived