Need HELP with Seattle

karchx

We (our group of 12) will be disembarking in Seattle from the Diamond Princess on July 17. Our flight does not leave until 11:30 pm. I thought we would just book an excursion through the cruise line, enjoy the tour, and head to the airport. But, I just found out, there are no excursions through the ship in Seattle!!!!! What do we do in Seattle all day (besides sitting in airport) with 12 people and all of our luggage? Any local tour operators that could handle us with all of our luggage? Thanks a bunch.

Rocky

First things first. Assuming you arrive at Terminal 30, you can take taxis to the Pier 66 main terminal where the concierge will stash your bags for the day. Look here. Or, you can take taxis to Sea-Tac airport and leave bags with Ken's Bag Service here.

Transportation next. If you went to the airport first, you could rent cars and tour around on your own (including bags in the back rather than Ken's if you want); this would expedite your return that night too. I doubt if you can rent anything that would hold 12 (why would you?) but you probably could get a couple of vans.

Or, of course, you could take one or more of the Gray Line tours as linked by BQ.

My recommendation, though, would be to taxi to Sea-Tac, drop the bags at the airport, then taxi back downtown and spend the day on foot in the downtown area - Pike market, Pioneer Square, maybe a baseball game if the M's are in town, go on a Bainbridge Island ferry as foot passengers, up to Seattle Center or to various museums, etc. Plenty to do on your own, either as a full group or sub-groups.

Thanks so much for all your help!! Now I just have to coordinate it with 11 other people. As for seeing Seattle on foot, are all the places listed, Gardyloo, within walking distance? We already have transfers purchased from the cruise line, so Ken's baggage looks like a good option. Thanks again.

Rocky

We will be getting on the Diamond after you get off on the 17th! The "Adventures Ashore" book I received from Princess with my pre-cruise package lists three tours for Seattle: "Seattle Highlights", "Ride the Ducks of Seattle", and "Experience Music Project". Says to "visit...the tour desk onboard your ship for post-cruise bookings". Prices range from $24.-$45. per adult, less for children.

Our shore excursion book listed them too!! That is what we had planned to do, but when we received are precruise documents, they was not listed on the reservation sheet or on interest reservations. I called Princess to check it out and they confirmed that there are NO excursions for Seattle. Thus, I am moving to plan B.

To walk to Seattle Center, Pike Place Market Pioneer Square, etc would involve a lot of hills! And not small hills either. There are free bus shuttles before 7pm through downtown, so if you walk up to Pioneer Square from the Piers, you could take the free bus service back to the Pike Place Market & Seattle Center area (for a level or downhill walk). You could also catch the Monorail (don't know price offhand)from Westlake Center (right on bus route) to the Seattle Center and back & walk from Westlake (or a closer point - ask the bus driver) to Pike Place Market. The walking is doable if everyone is in good condition but you will definitely be getting a lot of exercise. I believe downtown Seattle is one of the top 2 in the nation in the number of hills. Were you going w/ your bags to the airport & then return to Seattle? Maybe you could find an excursion that operates from the airport or airport hotels.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Espress close to the Space Needle. We will be arriving at the hotel about three on Saturday. What would be a fun evening? Is it worth eating at the Space Needle? I think Pikes Market closes at 6. Do you think we should rent a car at the airport or just do shuttle and taxis for the evening? We sail on the Sapphire Sunday at 4 so I guess we will head out around noon to the pier.

Karchx, if you go to the airport first then taxi back downtown, you can have the cab take you to the market, thereby avoiding the hill between the waterfront and the Pike Market.

The rest of the hills in downtown are negligible or relatively level, unless you go to Pioneer Square and then want to walk up to the freeway, which I can't imagine you'd want to do - nothing but offices in between. From the market and main commercial areas it's level to Seattle Center, slightly downhill to Pioneer Square, so you can do like the locals and only resort to the free bus service when the journey's uphill.

Rickyu, I personally would rent a car, because it will probably be a wash financially vs. taxis, it will allow you to move around more easily, including beyond the downtown area, and I expect parking's free or cheap at the Holiday Inn Express. The HIX is not very conveniently located IMO so the car will probably save on shoe leather and cab fares big time - you're well beyond the limits for the free bus. You can drop the car at the agency's downtown location, maybe even after you've dropped your bags at the Pier 30 checkin. Also remember meter parking is free on Sundays so if you want to explore by car it will be much easier.

The Pike (not "Pike's") market is a good place for dinner even though most of the food stalls close at 6 - there are numerous restaurants catering to all tastes. What sort of food do you want? The Space Needle is only okay food-wise, and quite expensive, so I would look for a different place for dinner.

Downtown Seattle hops at night, so having a fun time should be a cinch, depending on your idea of fun.

Thanks Gardyloo,

I think we would like to try some local cuisine, although I'm not much of a seafood person except for shrimp). I suppose we will get Salmon on the cruise. Any suggestions for dishes and something with a local flair. I've always found that the locals know the best food. Would you go up on the Space Needle just for the view?

The view is great but of course it doesn't include the Space Needle. The best views in Seattle are (a) from Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill (just above your hotel) - look here; and (b) from West Seattle or the ferries going to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton.

Salmon and crab are the big local seafood deals - if you want a casual but excellent sunset dinner the first night, try the Bell Street Diner, downstairs at Anthony's Pier 66, immediately adjacent to the Pier 66 (not yours - you'll be at Pier 30) cruise terminal. They have plentiful non-fish items, too.

Or step outside the tourist box and try some of Seattle's wonderful Asian offerings - head down to the International District for numerous excellent Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese places. This is the Pacific Rim in your face.

If you want Italian, and especially (really, only,) if it's not raining or chilly, head for the Pink Door on Post Alley in the Pike Market - no sign, just a pink door. Dinner on their roof terrace overlooking the market and the sunset behind the mountains is about as good as it gets.

Thanks Gardyloo. I printed off your info to take with us and also the site on Kerry Park.

Do you think the Holiday Inn Express is okay for it's price range? Trip advisor reviews looked good. We wanted to save money for the cruise and really only want it to be clean and comfortable. You had mention that the location was not very good.

It's quite new so ought to be clean and comfortable. The location isn't "bad" in the neighborhood sense, just a little inconvenient from most tourist areas - on the northern fringe of downtown. Make sure you ask for rooms not facing Aurora Ave. (SR 99 and an extremely busy highway) which the hotel backs onto.

Using the monorail between Seattle Center and downtown may be a tad problematic for the next few weeks as there was a fire on one of the (2) trains yesterday and it will be inop for some time. The other train should be okay but the schedule will probably be cut in half.

A couple of folks were sent to the hospital for smoke, no serious injury reported. The fire stopped the train right near the point where the line goes under/through the Experience Music Project Blobazoid; had it been inside the City would have had to do some 'splainin' to do with Paul Allen. Phew, his lawyers are good.

Gardyloo: Need your advice. We are staying at the Best Western Executive downtown-Taylor Ave N. Our tentative plans are to explore Pike Place Market, aquarium, lake cruise and space needle area. We have a rental car but I was just wondering if we really need one. Are the above places within walking distance?

Norwegian Spirit Aug '04

Norwegian Sun April '03

Space Needle is a block, Pike Market etc. around a mile more or less. If the monorail's working (station near the base of the Space Needle) it will cut walking time, otherwise the bus is very easy.

Gardyloo - You have been so helpful with all the questions - I am hoping you won't mind a few more icon_biggrin.gif ! I will be at the Westin Seattle in a few weeks - any thoughts on a restaurant in walking distance? I am looking for something "middle of the road" price wise. One night we are supposed to meet some friends at the Icon Grill for dinner - do you have any experience with this restaurant?

MIL will be in a wheelchair - and although I may be relatively young and healthy I don't see me pushing her up to many steep hills icon_eek.gif ! (Especially AFTER the cruise! LOL) I am also going to do the "ducks of seattle" and take the ferry to Bainbridge Island

Thanks for any advice!!

Tracy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

DIAMOND ALASKA

Tracy, my spouse has eaten there but I haven't - it's across the street from the Westin so ought to be convenient enough. It certainly is visually stimulating even if, by many reports, the food can be good or average, depending on your luck.

Down the street a block is one of Tom Douglas' places, the Palace Kitchen, which is quite good if a tad noisy for my tastes.

A block from the hotel on 4th (the Westin spans the block between 5th and 6th/Westlake) is one of our favorite Italian restaurants, Assaggio. Really excellent.

All these places are at level grade relative to the Westin so the wheelchair shouldn't be a big deal.

We stayed at the Westin and loved it. Two restaurants both within walking distance come to mind. Both are operated by the same people but with a somewhat different menus. Dahlias and Ettas. Ettas has a world class reputation but with a relaxed and casual atmosphere. Both have great food and reasonable prices. On our last cruise (2years ago) we made a special trip to Seattle just to eat at Ettas. Hope your experiance will be as nice as ours. I love Seattle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TracyQ:

Gardyloo - You have been so helpful with all the questions - I am hoping you won't mind a few more icon_biggrin.gif ! I will be at the Westin Seattle in a few weeks - any thoughts on a restaurant in walking distance? I am looking for something "middle of the road" price wise. One night we are supposed to meet some friends at the Icon Grill for dinner - do you have any experience with this restaurant?

MIL will be in a wheelchair - and although I may be relatively young and healthy I don't see me pushing her up to many steep hills icon_eek.gif ! (Especially AFTER the cruise! LOL) I am also going to do the "ducks of seattle" and take the ferry to Bainbridge Island

Thanks for any advice!!

Tracy

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

DIAMOND ALASKA

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gardyloo,

We are the ones staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Is there another hotel in that price range that would be nice but closer to activities? Does the monorail run from the space needle to Pike Market or would there be some other public transportation on a Saturday evening? Thanks

The monorail runs from Seattle Center to the Westlake Mall (vertical shopping center of sorts) about 4 blocks from the market. At the moment the monorail isn't running anywhere - an electrical fire on one of the (2) trains last week has everything shut down. (Very dramatic pictures of the fire department plucking scared passengers out of the cars - the trains were full with festivalgoers over the Memorial Day weekend. Some smoke inhalation but nothing serious injury-wise.)

The monorail may be back up (one train) in a couple of weeks; otherwise there are relatively plentiful buses from the Holiday Inn Express area.

There are other hotels in the downtown area in that price range - try hotels.com or Expedia et al, and use the map features on those websites - if it's west of I-5 and south of Battery or Wall Sts. it's "downtown;" walkable from most attractions or inside the free bus zone requires it being south of Lenora or Stewart Sts. (where the bulk of downtown hotels are.) Prices will probably be somewhat higher, and don't forget parking charges.

Archived