Will islands run on ship time?

sugarsparkles

I've learned that the ship's time will be the same time the whole trip based on the port we left. Here's my next questions, for example, we get into Roatan at 8am ship time, which I believe is 6am Roatan time. Will everyone in Roatan be up and running since the ships pulled in, regardless of the fact that it's only 6am there?

Thanks!

Rebekah

It's just a guess on my part but, I think it's possible and here's why:

Roatan is a poor island and the cruise ships are a way for the people to make some money.

Any island I've been to is well aware when the ships arrive and they are there, at the dock, to make money from the tourists.

Well, every island except Grand Cayman. They don't need our money and would probably rather we went somewhere else.

Hopefully someone will report back. Then we'll know for sure.

You stated:

"I've learned that the ship's time will be the same time the whole trip based on the port we left."

All I can say is that I was on the Liberty that set sail from FLL on 9/1. Our first port of call was Cozumel. They told everyone the night before port to change their watches to CDT.

Our next port of call was Nassau. The night before that port the announcement was made to inform everyone to change their watches back to EDT.

I've learned that the ship's time will be the same time the whole trip based on the port we left. Here's my next questions, for example, we get into Roatan at 8am ship time, which I believe is 6am Roatan time. Will everyone in Roatan be up and running since the ships pulled in, regardless of the fact that it's only 6am there?

Thanks!

Rebekah

Just remember that the ship sails on ship's time. I do not think its very wise to reset you watch at every port. Leave it on ship's time.

So if I’m leaving out of Tampa the entire cruise will be on Tampa time from the ship’s perspective. Does anyone know what the time zones are for the Legend stops: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Rotan. I’m guessing the excursions posted on the non Carnival web sites be their time and not ship time.

So if I’m leaving out of Tampa the entire cruise will be on Tampa time from the ship’s perspective. Does anyone know what the time zones are for the Legend stops: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Rotan. I’m guessing the excursions posted on the non Carnival web sites be their time and not ship time.

The posted excursion times are in ship's time.

Every cruise I've been on, we were reminded to change our watches to whatever time zone we were in.

If you sail in the summer, the islands are not on daylight savings time.

Sometimes I think we must be in an alternate universe. In my 11 cruises I don't think I've been told to change my watch 3 times!!!!

To the OP the only port that I've ever had an issue with stuff not being open is Nassau on Sunday's. I was in Roatan years ago but don't remember that there was any problem with stuff being closed.

You might try posting your question on the Roll Call from last weeks cruise, usually the roll call posters keep it up for a week or 2 after returning.

From what I understand, it's up to the Captain whether you change to the current time zone or not. I've been in Cozumel many times and on some ships we changed to match island time and on others we didn't.

Just pay attention to the capers and to the announcements. If anyone says they didn't know about the time change they've definately got their head in the clouds because they let you know over and over!

Archived