can my 12 yr old DS

terinzak

My son is 16 and old enough to sign his own since he has a 10 yr passport. With a younger child's passport, I do remember reading this same question on here before and people said there are instructions enclosed with the passport that say one parent should sign for the child.

Edit: Found this on the passport website, looks like he does sign it. http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html#ca63

On one of our earlier cruises, the immigration person that dealt with us at the end of our cruise told us that our kids should sign their passports (and they have ever since). We are Canadian and it was US immigration....

On one of our earlier cruises, the immigration person that dealt with us at the end of our cruise told us that our kids should sign their passports (and they have ever since). We are Canadian and it was US immigration....

Our kids' passports (Canadian) clearly state on them "Signature Not Required" in the pre-printed information section. This confused the US Immigration person on one of our cruises too - she started trying to ask my daughter (she was 6 or 7 at the time) if she can sign her name and gave her a pen and tried to get her to write in her passport -- I politely interrupted and pointed out the "signature not required" on it and told her that for CANADIAN passports, kids under a certain age (I can't recall the exact age offhand, I think its 11, but don't quote me!!) DO NOT SIGN and neither do their parents - thats just the way ours are. Kinda surprised me that the US immigration person on a Caribbean cruise had never encountered a Canadian child's passport and had not been trained about it either.

Make sure you check the instructions / requirements for your kids' passports before you have them sign or before you sign for them.

Archived