Will post on the family boards as well-Will a 11 year old girl get bored on the Summi

jaycor99

Hi

We are booked into 6145 on the Summit in Jan 08

We are torn about taking our 11 year old daughter -no other kids

have heard that not many children travel on Celebrity at that time

Should we leave her at home and take her on RCCL next year-she has been of AOS and MOS and really loved the kids program

thanks for your help

Hi

Should we leave her at home and take her on RCCL next year-she has been of AOS and MOS and really loved the kids program

thanks for your help

There will not be hundreds of kids sailing that week, because for most, school is already back in session.

But, there will be kids sailing.

And, with a smaller group of kids, your child will get even more personalized service from the Children's program staff.

Celebrity has THE BEST children's program. IMO. I have sailed on Princess, RCI & Carnival, as well as Celebrity. My kids love Celebrity. It is their first choice.

If you really want her to go, TAKE HER !

Have fun.

If it's the Summit's 7 day cruise there might be a few kids, but if it's the 14 day cruise, you probably won't find any school age kids. We cruise Celebrity every year in January, and at most we've seen 4 to 5 school age kids on board. As a matter of fact, we were on Millennium's 7 day cruise this past January and there was were six school age kids on board, and two of them were from Switzerland. Lots of toddlers, but since school just started after a long Christmas break, not many parents take their kids out of school so soon after.

You should take your child on all your vacations. It is the best education/experience for them. Couldn't believe all the travelling we had done until our girls had to fill out college applications and it asked "TRAVEL". When I saw the list they wrote, I couldn't believe we had done all that. We never went away without our children. I think our girls are better off for all the travel they have done. We didn't do cruising when they were little and we are now sorry for that BUT we always took them with us no matter where we went. Take that 11 year old and spend time with her. Some day she will be all grown up and then you can travel by yourselves. They grow up fast. You know when she is l5 she won't want to even go with you anywhere.

marlene

We took our four kids (8, 8, 9 and 10 at the time) on a 5 day Zenith cruise with their grandparents. They LOVED the kids' programs and camp!

We're taking our 11 year old on the Millenium in October, along with her grandparents. I don't know if she'll have other kids to play with, but she'll have us. Some of the ports of calls have terrific things for the children to do. Consider checking into the shore excursions too. There's PLENTY for your child to do to keep her busy and happy. I vote take her! She'll love you for it!:D

of course she will be bored ...celebrity although welcoming to families , does not offer what the royal carib ships offer and that is why they attract the numbers of kids...

of course that is also why many adults who prefer a quiet, adult experience chose Celebrity....

of course she will be bored ...celebrity although welcoming to families , does not offer what the royal carib ships offer and that is why they attract the numbers of kids...

of course that is also why many adults who prefer a quiet, adult experience chose Celebrity....

Well I have to concede there is no rock climbing wall or ice rink, but my kids 9 and 11 just did two Celebrity cruises this year and they were not board, especially the older one.. they had lots of games and activities like Apples to Apples, Scene-it, scavengers hunts, talent shows, and well trained youth counselors. I think as long as there are enough kids attending the program she'll have a great time.

Also, there are lots of activities that parents and kids can do together such as the trivia games, name that tune, dance lessons, ship builder's regatta.. ect. With my kids we took part in both the kids activities and the regular passenger activities.

"Bored" was like a 4 letter word when we were growing up! And we carried on that tradition when we raised our daughter. It was pretty much a word that was not allowed to be spoken! We always told our daughter that if she was bored she must be stupid. Because we 'knew that she was very smart' we knew that she could not be bored!

She could read a book, write a journal, research your next port in the onboard library, write a story, go make a friend, swim, sunbath, search the ship, find out if she can get a tour of the bridge or kitchen, do school work she brought with her, go to the teen lounge area (there is likely to be someone there), inquire if she would be allowed to help with the younger children, etc., etc.

I sure wish my parents had been able to take me on a cruise when I had been young. What a lucky young lady! And what good parents you are for cruising and taking your child!

Hi

thanks for your help

We took our grandkids on a week cruise on RCL in June and they had a great time. But we're leaving for a 2 week Trans in early December and I wouldn't take them. We haven't found the children's programs to be equal to RCL - maybe because there are so few children when we normally travel.

On the last couple of Trans cruises (13 -15 days) there have been maybe 8 to 10 total kids. My heart went out to them, because the long seadays could have been hard for them. The few school age children that went did seem to spend several hours a day with a parent doing homework and other assignments, so that could take up a lot of the time.

Bottom line? It depends on your child. You are the best judge!

We just returned from Galaxy, only 11 kids on board. I had 11 and 13 year old. My 2 and a 6 year old were only kids using Fun Factory - they were disappointed that they didnt have any friends but had the run of the place and could do as they pleased. The staff were very good with them.

Julie

Hi

thanks for your help

Archived