All things Monarch of the Seas

HarleysMom: I'm only guessing, so please don't take this info as "confirmed" but I do believe it houses the crew stairways, laundry area and service access for the crew. Please let us know when you return!:D

Thanks for guessing - seems to make more sense than a hall closet. I am just scared that it was a lounge or something that would be really loud. This is my 2nd time cruising but it is my first "real" vacation (staying in the area before and after the cruise) in about 10 years so I want to be prepared for anything...I think I am just at that point where I am overly worrying about everything LOL. I will definately share what it was when I get home!

Does anyone know what the big blank area across from Room 5048 is? I called RCL but the operator didn't know and sounded like she was guessing when she said "oh that is just the hall closet" Seems too big for a closet so am just trying to figure out what that large space is on deck 5.

We were in Staterooms 5550/5552 last week. The entrance/exit to this area is between the interior rooms 5555 & 5551. There may be another entrance/exit, but that's the only one I saw. It is a staff area, I think a kitchen area. Maybe for room service? They always told us it would be a 20-30 minute wait for our order and they were always there in 5-10 minutes, so it makes sense, but I'm not sure. I only saw staff going in there once or twice and didn't hear any noise coming from that area. Hopes this helps.

We were in Staterooms 5550/5552 last week. The entrance/exit to this area is between the interior rooms 5555 & 5551. There may be another entrance/exit, but that's the only one I saw. It is a staff area, I think a kitchen area. Maybe for room service? They always told us it would be a 20-30 minute wait for our order and they were always there in 5-10 minutes, so it makes sense, but I'm not sure. I only saw staff going in there once or twice and didn't hear any noise coming from that area. Hopes this helps.

Thank you so much for letting me know it really did help - I am a fussy sleeper so it if was loud I would have to pack extra earplugs or something! I really appreciate this reply.. NOW I have to try to go to sleep (yeah right) and get ready for my 5am flight tomorrow!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for letting me know it really did help - I am a fussy sleeper so it if was loud I would have to pack extra earplugs or something! I really appreciate this reply.. NOW I have to try to go to sleep (yeah right) and get ready for my 5am flight tomorrow!! :D

Hey Harleysmom! I was wondering how your trip went? Share if you feel like it, we go in June. I just found out we have to be split into two cabins across from one another. But not a biggee.

Love to hear about your trip if your willing to share:p

Hi! I really enjoyed your pictures from February MOS trip! Thanks for posting them! Your "artsy" ones were great. I got a chuckle from the Bird picture.:D

We're waiting to disembark right now. We had a full crew immigration check so everything was delayed. New menus are on as of the last cruise. We only ate in the dining room once and the only new dish I noticed was sea bass - new to Monarch but not to the fleet.

Ah... but do they still have the Escargot? :D

We're waiting to disembark right now. We had a full crew immigration check so everything was delayed. New menus are on as of the last cruise. We only ate in the dining room once and the only new dish I noticed was sea bass - new to Monarch but not to the fleet.

Is that delay for immigration check normal for the Monarch? We have a 12:20pm flight from LAX, so was wondering how pressed for time we will be.

Have tried to find out about the luggage valet service (from ship to airport to final destination) and was hoping someone could tell me about it for the Monarch

Well...I'm back from my 5th Monarch cruise :D I must say, the service this time was better than ever! Mostly in the dining room and the Windjammer...excellent! We were on board for the new menus...ahhhhhh....the smell of new pleather! The food was excellent, and some nice additions!

We had a group of high school students on board, and I must say, they were the most well behaved kids I've ever run across! I can't say that for the kids sitting on either side of us in the dining room....2 tables of 10....one on each side...all young children. Ages from like 4 years old to 10 or 11, and no adult at either table! The parents for one group were two tables down, NOT EVEN CLOSE! kids crawling into the windows hiding behind the curtains...the other table they were playing on the small set of stairs, and running around. Once they saw the other kids playing in the window, of course they had to try it as well! And to boot, one of the groups didn't show up(every night) until 6:15 or so for a 5:30 seating!!!! The last night it was 6:30!!!!!! Unbelievable! After one of my table mates spoke to one group of parents, it did get slightly better the next night.

The only other complaint I had was Mr. Johnny O...I know he has a lot of fans here, but I'm not joining the club! He was just not very present throughout, only the main shows and Quest, and he was totally unapproachable when you did see him. During Quest he had bodyguards...I've never seen that before...maybe he got hurt or something. Even at the C&A party, he was just in the background until time to make his little introductions. He was in the line up as you entered, but didn't utter a word, or extend a hand...pretty out of character for a CD. The rest of his staff was wonderful!!!

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get another Monarch cruise in before they leave us :( Soooo sad!!!!!!!!!!

We were on board for the new menus...ahhhhhh....the smell of new pleather! The food was excellent, and some nice additions!

Yeah, those plastic folders still give off quite an odor! I thought they looked nice, though... better than the cardboard ones that got ragged pretty quickly.

The only other complaint I had was Mr. Johnny O...I know he has a lot of fans here, but I'm not joining the club! He was just not very present throughout, only the main shows and Quest, and he was totally unapproachable when you did see him. During Quest he had bodyguards...I've never seen that before...maybe he got hurt or something. Even at the C&A party, he was just in the background until time to make his little introductions. He was in the line up as you entered, but didn't utter a word, or extend a hand...pretty out of character for a CD. The rest of his staff was wonderful!!!

During his concert in the Centrum I heard him say his dad had recently passed away, so maybe he's struggling with that. I didn't go to any of the other shows or Quest so can't comment on that. When we were finally getting off the ship in San Pedro, he stepped in front of me to ask the security guard something and seemed kind of anxious. I hope he's ok!

Kate

Hi! I really enjoyed your pictures from February MOS trip! Thanks for posting them! Your "artsy" ones were great. I got a chuckle from the Bird picture.:D

Thank you! I'm glad you liked the pictures. We didn't take as many when we went again a few weeks ago, probably because we had kids to keep entertained. :) Hope you have a great time in June.

Hi,

We are planning on taking our first cruise next June and we are on the Monarch. I have not booked my room yet but we need adjoining room since we have 4 kids.

Is there a certain level of OV that is best? I know some have obstructed views and I would think you wouldn't want to be too far down. We are considering level 5 or 6.

Any suggestions? I've been reading this board since last year but having not experienced cruising first hand yet, I am still a clueless newbie :)

Deck 6 has the only connecting rooms that would accomodate 6. Your best bet for value is Deck 8. The are listed as obstructed, but it is the lifeboats from above and they aren't that obstructed.

Do they have the pull down beds? We definitely have to have something that will sleep 6 of us between the 2 rooms. So I guess we better pay the extra and stick with deck 6?

You could try for two triples on deck 8, they are the cheapest ocean views. But they are not connecting and you would need to put one child in with you though.

We don't mind having one in with us but if there are adjoining where all 4 could be in one room and us another, well that would be nicer LOL

I think with their ages we have to go with adjoining rooms. Not sure I'd want the younger ones in a completely seperate cabin.

Thank you for all the help, this is a very informative board.

Hi all! DH and I just booked our second ever cruise aboard the Monarch for 1-5-09 for the Bahamas trip. First cruise was our honeymoon on Voyager 1-6-08, and this will be our first anniversary cruise. We did a long cruise, but decided to go "budget friendly" for this one.

Thank you soooo much for the minimally obstructed view list. We booked 8038 OV. Looking forward to reading the posts and discovering some of the secrets, although hopefully not all!

Stacey

Archived