Empress of the Seas Bermuda 9/2007

webfoot3

Thanks for sharing those. I loved that ship!

We took her on a 7-day repo cruise (Tampa, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, St Thomas, home from San Juan).

Really enjoyed her. I love the smaller ships but I'm working my way up the food chain in an attempt to mitigate my motion sickness.

I nearly booked an early June sailing on her to Bermuda. The price was unbelievable. But I mistakenly thought the new passport rules were already in effect and I hadn't applied for mine, so I passed. I was so disappointed when I discovered I could've gone, last minute, for a great price. That was also before I realized she was to be retired.

Had a tiny OV cabin, but LOVED that promenade. So nice to sit out there either in the sun or in the shade and just relax away from the mobs on the Lido deck!

Thanks again.

Loved your pics but wasn't impressed by Bermuda or the Empress, SORRY :(

2nd day at sea was VERY rough, the band couldn't even play that night because they too were sick, so we missed the first formal :mad:.

Everyone is different and expects different things, this was our 4th cruise (2nd with RCI) and we just didn't enjoy it as much as we have in the past. We didn't like the smallness of the ship and felt the staff wasn't any nicer or more helpful than any of the other cruises we have taken. The shows were average, the magician and comedian were the best, the juggler was good too. As usual the meals were outstanding :D and our waiter and asst. were pleasant (not as friendly as Sylvia and Dario on the Grandeur). Our cabin steward was equally pleasant but again not as much as Angela on the Grandeur. The activities on board became redundant and boring. The pool was kind of weird or different. I thought the shallow part was for the kids and the deeper part was for the adults, well there were kids in the deeper pool splashing and what not, I didn't like that. Oh and there were also kids in the hot tubs, I didn't think kids were supposed to be in the hot tubs???? As far as the dining room goes, we saw people in there that were way under dressed, in jeans and t-shirts, sports jersey's with shorts, socks and flip flops (that was a formal night).

Okay now for Bermuda...wow what a let down that was! That place is too populated and over priced for my liking. I was extremely disappointed. I did enjoy our time at Tobacco Bay Beach until it was mobbed with people! The water is beautiful but the beaches, I wasn't impressed at all. I believe the Mexican beaches are much prettier (well the ones I've seen). We toured the Royal Naval Dockyard, saw some beautiful sights from the Commissioners house. Went to the Whistling Frog Pub, still can't believe we paid $12 dollars for a 10 oz beer and an order of onion rings ($8.00 onion rings, $4 10 oz beer) :o my Aunt paid $11.00 for a hamburger! Went to the Swizzle Inn, ordred a Dirty Banana in a keepsake glass paid $12.50! Just for kicks we went to the grocery store, $4.99 loaf of bread, that is unbelievable! I realize that everything is imported but I feel sorry for the locals! I just pictured this tropical heaven and boy was I mistaken. My home town is less congested, I wasn't up for all the hustle and bustle. I was wanting to just kick back in a lounge chair with pink sand beneath my feet sipping on a frozen cocktail from the nearest tiki bar (guess I should have researched Bermuda a little more).

I can say that we are usually constantly on the go when we cruise and practically need a vacation from our vacation but this time we did a lot of relaxing so that's a plus and we had some first time cruisers in our party and they said they would return to Bermuda. So to each his own I guess.

My wife and I also returned from the Empress on October 6. The seas were very rough on the way down. This was our 3rd time on the Empress.

We met some very nice people and had a great time! This was our 8th cruise and the Empress is still our favorite ship. We will also be sorry to see her go.

We sailed on the Empress on 9/29-10/6. The seas were really bad the second day, the worst we've ever experienced. One member of our group had to visit the doctor and get injections for her sea sickness.

Overall we had a wonderful trip though. The empress was alot smaller than anything else I've been on and I can see why they made the decision to sell it. It's a beautiful ship but it just can't hold up to everything that Royal Caribbean is now. There just isn't the space.

As for the kids in the hot tubs, one of them was in our group however she was made to sit still and be with us. Kids in general aren't the issue, it's the parents who don't correct them. I thought that overall the kids were pretty behaved on this trip though, we never had a problem.

We LOVED Bermuda!

Archived