should I purchase air now or keep looking

cathydev

Ok..first off..a huge thanks to those offering advice in my previous post about my multiple airline question and after further research..it's just not going to work for our group of 6. So, I'm still looking at airfares and here's the scoop......

We are cruising on June 27th. We are flying into Rome on June 24th...(leaving the US on the 23rd) to enjoy some pre-cruise days in Rome. Then fly home on July 9th.

The absolute best airfare I can find is on continental from Seattle to Rome (with only one stop in Newark for 2 1/2 hours). Price is 1508 (includes all taxes etc). I like the itinerary with only two flights each way, less chance of lost luggage and plenty of time to connect in Newark. We have a place to stay in Seattle and a ride to the airport so no parking tolls.

Anyway, is this a ridiculous price? Carnival wants to charge 1599/pp for their air and of course there will be deviation fees and I really don't want to do their air anyway...I like to be in control!

So, my question is...do recommend buying now? or would it be best to keep looking. As the dollar sinks, Europe is getting more expensive by the day and I'm not sure I should risk waiting, especially with 6 of us? Or do rates typically fall in the coming months for the summer season?

And lastly..would you recommend air travel insurance? I think it would be valuable because we purchased it for the cruise and it was pretty cheap (through Costco whom we booked with) only $450 total...but they can't do air insurance. So, I looked on insuremytrip dot com and there is a policy for 450 for the value of our airfare.

I don't for see us canceling the trip, but if we have a death or emergency we would have to cancel and 9500 is a lot to lose.

This board is filled with great information so I look forward to your thoughts and opinions!

Basic rule for any insurance:

Asuming the product is "correctly" priced (that is, the issuer has priced it so that premium + investment earnings >= expenses + claims + target profit it is always cheaper to not buy the insurance (called "self insurance" for strange marketing reasons).

Does that mean you shoud never buy correctly priced insurance? no, becasue the second part of the rule is:

Buy insurance only if yo can not afford the loss.

Only you, spouse, financial adviser, and taro card reader can make that decision. But a fact-free opinion is: if you can afford the cruise and the airfare, you can probably afford the loss. Not happily, but you COULD afford it. Some peopel simply can't emotionally handle such a loss even if they have the money. For hem buying the insurance might be a good idea even though I doubt that it makes financial sense.

I assume you are flying Continental? They have several SEA->lovely Newark flights, I'd take an earlier one -- not the one closest to a "legal" connection. Newark can have serious delays.

Paul

Basic rule for any insurance:

I assume you are flying Continental? They have several SEA->lovely Newark flights, I'd take an earlier one -- not the one closest to a "legal" connection. Newark can have serious delays.

Paul

The scheduled layover in Newark is 2 hours 29 minutes. I assumed that was ample, but perhaps not? The other option is 6 hours in Newark. 2 1/2 sounds much better to me. But I certainly don't want to miss the flight to Rome.

I am really confused when you threw in the insurance stuff.

Why would you buy separate "air" insurance for $450.00??? And is this for all the flights or individually or what??? You DON'T want to put all the flights together under one insurance policy unless you are planning to cancel ALL the flights and no one goes to Europe (or on the cruise).

You haven't made final payment yet, have you??? IMHO, each couple/family or individual going on this trip needs their own policy and NOT the cruise line policy unless you have extenuating circumstances like pre existing conditions.

What happened to your well thought out Aer Lingus plan???

Even if there aren't enough miles/award tickets available for everyone, you can usually get a flight from SEA to NYC for about $300.00pp. Certainly cheaper than the Continental flights and you get to see Dublin.

I think you have more chance of lost luggage with one airline and a couple of stops than one flight from Spokane and a separate flight to Europe with a stop in Dublin. But whatever.

2.5 hours in Newark is plenty of time unless you run into a very late inbound flight. You are just changing planes.

Problem with air lingus plan...the 11:45 departure on the July 9th was too early... and then staying in Rome until the 10th didn't work with our alaska airmiles for the return from JFK to Seattle. So, it's not really workable.

My question about the insurance was to reimburse my airfare if we can't go on the trip because of a death/emergency. The $450 I paid was to Costco travel for our cruise and insures against death/injury/a medical reason why we couldn't go. We would then get a refund of the cruise...the $450 is the total I paid. And since we are all a family if one of us couldn't go because of surgery/death/etc, all of us would choose to stay home. Carnival has insurance but it was a lot more (a total of $984). The good news is...I called back Costco travel and their plan is with Berkleycare and covers my airfare (I also verified with Berkleycare) should we have to cancel our trip due to above reasons so I don't need to worry about purchasing additional insurance. So, I don't need to worry about it anymore.

It's the airfare that's got me stumped. I know it's a gamble to wait, will prices continue to go or will they drop? I think that's the advice I need right now. Does anyone have a crystal ball? (hehe)

I guess ultimately my question is..is $1508 reasonable for a ticket from spokane to rome. Two non stop flights each way with a 2 1/2 hour layover in Newark. Or should I keep searching for something less....

Problem with air lingus plan...the 11:45 departure on the July 9th was too early... and then staying in Rome until the 10th didn't work with our alaska airmiles for the return from JFK to Seattle. So, it's not really workable.

My question about the insurance was to reimburse my airfare if we can't go on the trip because of a death/emergency. The $450 I paid was to Costco travel for our cruise and insures against death/injury/a medical reason why we couldn't go. We would then get a refund of the cruise...the $450 is the total I paid. And since we are all a family if one of us couldn't go because of surgery/death/etc, all of us would choose to stay home. Carnival has insurance but it was a lot more (a total of $984). The good news is...I called back Costco travel and their plan is with Berkleycare and covers my airfare (I also verified with Berkleycare) should we have to cancel our trip due to above reasons so I don't need to worry about purchasing additional insurance. So, I don't need to worry about it anymore.

It's the airfare that's got me stumped. I know it's a gamble to wait, will prices continue to go or will they drop? I think that's the advice I need right now. Does anyone have a crystal ball? (hehe)

I guess ultimately my question is..is $1508 reasonable for a ticket from spokane to rome. Two non stop flights each way with a 2 1/2 hour layover in Newark. Or should I keep searching for something less....

Did you check Luftansa? I have flown them (from Rome) using FFmiles but when I have checked in the past they have been the cheapest.

To the OP and Greatam:

I would not knock all cruiseline insurance. We use HALs. For us it's the best policy.

IF I was on HAL and IF that was the cost I could get tickets on my own I would go through the cruiseline for air (with diviation) and get the cruiseline insurance. Only def with HAL. The reason? Last year their tickets to Rome were about $1,500.00 and its the only cruiseline where you can cancel 24 hours before departure for any reason (don't need to give one) and get back 90% on your credit card including airfare purchased through them. I would need to look at other cruiselines policy. Some work well for those who are older because the rate is not based on age. For us, we have medical we can use out of the country, but we need the air evac coverage and want to protect the cost of cruise. Just FYI that for some people (especially those still working or those who have pets) the cruiselines policy is the best in my opinion.

Cathydev,

Hi...I am on the same cruise, and I am waiting. We flew to Rome last year, and paid about $1100. I am being quoted about $1370 from So. Cal to Rome and I think I can do better. What the heck...we have time to wait a bit.

As to travel insurance...I bought it last year because my son and I were going. This year it is just me....haven't decided if I need it yet.

Are you getting excited? I am.

The scheduled layover in Newark is 2 hours 29 minutes. I assumed that was ample, but perhaps not? The other option is 6 hours in Newark. 2 1/2 sounds much better to me. But I certainly don't want to miss the flight to Rome.

I would guess (just guessing, not looking up flght histories) that you would make the connection 95%+ of the time, at worst. Let's just assume there is only a 2% failure rate....

Your Hockey team <grin> is flighing during the height of the season. her are not going to be many empty seats. So, if yo do miss the connection, getting everyone to the cruise could prove interesting. Is it worth the hassle reduction not to take the earlier flight? That can only be decided by you and your travel mates... and, of course, the 2% fiure is made up.

Sane, well-balanced people would do as you planned. Neurotic, anal-retentive types would be on the earlier plane. I'd be on teh earlier plane; my wife, given the choice, would follow your plan.

Paul

BUT

Aer Lingus has a flight OUT of Rome to Dublin at 7:00PM July 9. Spend the night in Dublin, leave on the morning flight July 10 to JFK (it arrives about 1:00PM) and take the same Alaska flight back to Spokane that you were originally planning on July 10. Same schedule, but instead of spending the night in NYC again, you would spend the night in Dublin.

As I posted earlier, even if you can't get all the miles tickets you want from Spokane to JFK, you can certainly get to JFK for roughly $300.00-400, depending on a GEG or SEA departure.

I still think you ought to take a look at this again. Gives you a break on the outbound due to the overnight in NYC, you get to see a little tiny bit of Ireland, and you would save about $200.00 per ticket out of Spokane and $300 out of SEA, if you had to buy all the tickets from Spokane. Quite a bit more for the flights you get award tickets for.

Otherwise, the Continental flight is about the best you are going to get, considering you are flying from the NorthWest. $1100-1200 is about the going rate to Rome from the East/Southeast. Then add $300 from the West Coast and you are right in the ball park. Good luck!!

BUT

Aer Lingus has a flight OUT of Rome to Dublin at 7:00PM July 9. Spend the night in Dublin, leave on the morning flight July 10 to JFK (it arrives about 1:00PM) and take the same Alaska flight back to Spokane that you were originally planning on July 10. Same schedule, but instead of spending the night in NYC again, you would spend the night in Dublin.

As I posted earlier, even if you can't get all the miles tickets you want from Spokane to JFK, you can certainly get to JFK for roughly $300.00-400, depending on a GEG or SEA departure.

What a wealth of information! Thanks. I will have to call Aer Lingus about the Rome Flight at 7 pm. It didn't come up on the Aer Lingus website when I searched flights on July 9th...only when I searched on cheap tickets. I don't know why. However, I would prefer to buy direct from the airlines so I will call them. But, and I think this could be a big BUT....the flight arrives in at JFK at 1 pm. I have to clear customs, get my bags and re-check in for a 5 pm flight on Alaska. That only leaves 4 hours. I am worried that's not enough time. Although not having done this before at JFK, I don't know.

As for the flights from SEA to JFK...where are you looking? I must not have the computer savvy you do...because I can only find seats for 450-475 (includes taxes).

Man, there is so much to learn!!!! But bring it on..I'm ready :)

What a wealth of information! Thanks. I will have to call Aer Lingus about the Rome Flight at 7 pm. It didn't come up on the Aer Lingus website when I searched flights on July 9th...only when I searched on cheap tickets. I don't know why. However, I would prefer to buy direct from the airlines so I will call them. But, and I think this could be a big BUT....the flight arrives in at JFK at 1 pm. I have to clear customs, get my bags and re-check in for a 5 pm flight on Alaska. That only leaves 4 hours. I am worried that's not enough time. Although not having done this before at JFK, I don't know.

4 hours will be fine (unless the flight INTO JFK is extremely late). You have already cleared immigration in Dublin and IMHO, immigration is what takes all the time.

So just grab your bags (usually about 15-25 minutes at JFK for international), walk through customs, change terminals (you should arrive terminal 4 and need to go to terminal 8/9- sometimes faster to take a taxi), and go through security. You will be able to do online check-in in Dublin the night before, so no need to stand in line for check in for your onward flights. Just drop off the bags (if you are really in a hurry, use AA's curbside check in-$2.00 per bag + TIP) and go through security.

As for the flights from SEA to JFK...where are you looking? I must not have the computer savvy you do...because I can only find seats for 450-475 (includes taxes).

Man, there is so much to learn!!!! But bring it on..I'm ready :)

I wasn't specifically looking for Alaska Airlines flights. NW had SEA/JFK for $318.00. Others were within $50.00 of that price. Alaska was $150.00 more, as you posted. SEA/JFK is not a difficult route to find decent fares on.

Archived