HMC Cabana Review, Sunday 9/23

Ellanora

Myself and my 10 year old son, along with my parents, were on the 9/22 Carnival Triumph sailing. Our first stop, on a Sunday, was Half Moon Cay. We were very excited to visit the private island, after having read all about it on these boards for so long.

Prior to this cruise, I had determined that getting a cabana would be the best thing for my family, particularly my mother, who is on some medications that make it difficult for her to spend too much time in the heat. I knew that without the cabana, she would probably have to head back to the ship after only a few hours, so I did everything I could to insure we got one. We arrived at the terminal a little after 10 AM, and boarded the ship just after 11 AM. The shore excursion desk did not open until 12, as expected, so we decided to just have some drinks and relax near the atrium bar to keep an eye on the desk. As soon as I saw them open, and about three people were in line, I jumped in as well.

I had read that you could no longer choose which cabana you wanted, that you had to take the next one in line. I really didn't want the first one, as I had read that it gets extra "visitors" trying to use the shower/floats/etc. I had hoped that one of the people ahead of me would rent a cabana, so it would not be available, but alas, they did not. The man at the desk greeted me nicely, and I told him I wanted to rent a cabana, but that I really, really didn't want the first one, and what would be the best way to accomplish this? I expected that he would ask me to come back a little later, after some had been rented, and I was willing to do this. However, instead, he said "Well, how about I'll put you down for the second one?" I was thrilled! He wrote down the sizes for snorkel gear, and our choices for sodas (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, or Diet Sprite, total of eight). Because the computers were not yet ready for processing to the sail and sign accounts, I had to go back after 1 PM to pick up our ticket for the tender and cabana. The cost was $220.

The next day, we gathered in the Rome Lounge (I think it was 8:45 AM) and then proceeded down to the tender boats as part of the first group. After arriving on the island, we boarded a truck with seats in the back and were transported part of the way down the beach, then had to walk back up the beach to the second cabana, which was blue. We were thrilled to find the floats and snorkel gear, as well as a misting fan and a misting pole. A short time after we arrived, the staff brought the waters and soda and stocked them in the refigerator, a covered bucket of ice for the table, and the food - chips, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, sliced watermelon, cantelope, honeydew, and pineapple, carrots, celery, blue cheese dip, and about eight whole oranges. Wow!

I did notice that the first cabana had an extra walkway along the side where the staff did all of the loading and unloading of the food and drinks. If you have the first cabana, you would definitely have a lot of activity going on a good bit of the day along the side - another reason I was happy to have gotten the second one.

The cabana was wonderful - I can not even begin to describe how wonderful it was to have. The air conditioner and the misting fans kept the interior, and even the porch, quite cool and comfortable. The snorkel equipment was fun, and the floats were really great - I've decided to purchase a similar kind for my own pool. It was nice to bring our plates of lunch back to the cabana to eat, as it was rather hot at the picnic tables (although it was good to see that there were plenty of picnic tables, and they were all covered). Best of all, we were able to enjoy the whole day on the island, despite the heat.

We did have one woman who sat in the closest beach chair to our porch, then proceeded to complain to a staff member that our misting fans were getting her wet and could he have them shut off? He told her that we had paid to use the fans. We did nothing - there were plenty of empty chairs still available in many areas, or she could have moved hers if she wished. We had one man ask to use our shower, and we probably would have let him, but he appeared to be leading a family of 10 - 12, so we directed them to the public showers which were only a few steps away.

I do wish we could have had more time on the island - we would have liked to have walked around a little more and explore, but I believe we had to be back on the ship by 3PM. We got in line at 2:15, and the line was MASSIVE. We did finally make it on a tender, but it involved a ridiculous exercise - apparently there was a second place for a tender to dock, so the whole line was led to that second place. When only about 40-50 people were put on that tender, the whole line was led BACK to the first docking area, which required the line to double back on itself, which in turn led to a number of people jumping in front of the line :mad:. We finally made it on the tender boat and back to the ship - the water was quite a bit choppy at this time. As we were lining up with the ship, someone on the other side of the boat shouted "Help!". Apparently, a woman had gotten sick and had to be helped off the boat first.

The beach was gorgeous, the lunch was great, and the cabana was phenomenal. I HIGHLY recommend visiting Half Moon Cay and renting a cabana.

The beach was gorgeous, the lunch was great, and the cabana was phenomenal. I HIGHLY recommend visiting Half Moon Cay and renting a cabana.

That pretty much sums up my experience there as well. We had the Yellow Cabana. Fantastic write up of the day, thanks for sharing. Did you get any photos by chance?

I relived our recent trip to HMC reading your review. We had the blue cabana, too. I had to laugh when I read the part about someone wanting to use the shower. We had 2, 20 something girls, approach our cabana to help themselves to our floats without asking.:mad: Thankfully, we happen to be on the porch at the time to stop them.

The only complaint to my hubby was that I noticed the blue cabana was the only cabana with a clamshell directly in front of it. Luckily for us, no one rented that particular clamshell, otherwise, that would have been a bummer for us!

I would do the same all over again, given the chance to go back to HMC. Thanks for your review.

That pretty much sums up my experience there as well. We had the Yellow Cabana. Fantastic write up of the day, thanks for sharing. Did you get any photos by chance?

I do have photos, however, I'm not too experienced with uploading/downloading. I'll give it a shot later, though.

We had 2, 20 something girls, approach our cabana to help themselves to our floats without asking.:mad: Thankfully, we happen to be on the porch at the time to stop them.

I pulled all of our floats off the rail and folded them on top of each other on the floor behind the rail so they would not be in easy view or reach while we were swimming. Maybe a little paranoid, but I've read that it happened so many times; it's just ridiculous to think it is ok to touch something that doesn't belong to you. :mad:

How far did you have to walk to the cabana? I'm going to try and rent one for our group when we go in March. My mom will be almost 79 and can't walk far, she'll probably be fine with her cane, but I'm concerned about her walking in the sand or is in on a walkway???

I don't really mind if we get the first or second cabana and I'm fully prepared for visitors. I may make up my own sign "GO AWAY-- I PAID, YOU DIDN'T!!!! I'll share tomorrow" :D

thanks for your help.

How far did you have to walk to the cabana? I'm going to try and rent one for our group when we go in March. My mom will be almost 79 and can't walk far, she'll probably be fine with her cane, but I'm concerned about her walking in the sand or is in on a walkway???

I don't really mind if we get the first or second cabana and I'm fully prepared for visitors. I may make up my own sign "GO AWAY-- I PAID, YOU DIDN'T!!!! I'll share tomorrow" :D

thanks for your help.

There is a truck with bench seats in the back that will drive you down to your cabana. We missed the first one, but took the second one, which took us down the back road, and dropped us off right in the middle of the cabanas (around the 5th one), so we walked back up the beach to the 2nd. I don't think it will be a problem for your mom to get there.

Once you get up out of the sand, there are sidewalks back behind the line of cabanas that you can use to get to the lunch, restrooms, and bars.

Good idea for a sign :D :p

I can't wait, we rented the purple cabana for us 11/25/07 Westerdam. Sounds like the perfect day.

Oooh, I'm jealous - can't wait to go back. Have a fabulous time, come back and tell us how you liked it. :)

I can't thank you enough for your review. I sail in December and HMC is one of our stops. I was hoping to rent a Cabana and have been worried about the process once onboard, no one seemed to be able to tell me when the excursion desk would be available for renting one, so your review eases my mind a bit and I will know to expect it to open around noon and be prepared.

Sounds like such a great lounging kinda day, I can't wait...ah, hell...I can't wait for every single second of this trip.

Shannon

Did they offer the option of booking from your cabin when you first gt onboard? I know we have booked some thngs before the excursion desk even opened...........want to definetly get a cabana for sure.

Did they offer the option of booking from your cabin when you first gt onboard? I know we have booked some thngs before the excursion desk even opened...........want to definetly get a cabana for sure.

If you are coming to HMC on a HAL ship, you can reserve cabanas and clamshells online ahead of time, as if they were shore excursions.

On Carnival, however, my understanding is that you can only reserve them after you board. I don't know whether you have to go to the excursion desk for this purpose, or can do it from your cabin. Perhaps someone with CCL experience will post that information.

Yep - on Carnival, you have to go to the shore excursion desk after boarding - they usually open at 12:00. That is the only way to reserve the cabanas.

Rats and double rats....I thought you had something going there Joie:(

has anyone rented the mega cabana with Carnival? It apparently has a hottub, full bar and meal service? If so, is that available on-line?

None of the cabanas, including the big one, are available online through Carnival.

has anyone rented the mega cabana with Carnival? It apparently has a hottub, full bar and meal service? If so, is that available on-line?

I just read on a roll call that one person had reserved the large cabana and then asked who wanted to share. It was going to be $99 each person and they were just planning on paying the person who did the reserving that day. Nice way to get the mega cabana and share the cost. Not a bad idea. It was on a HAL ship, so you reserve early online.

Archived