Catamaran snorkel tours?

2serendip

We're going to be in Honolulu, Kailua-Kona, Hilo, and Lahaina in December, and we're looking for some great snorkel experiences. Does anyone know of any tours that are done on catamarans like the ones offered in the Caribbean? We've really enjoyed those, and I'm not seeing very much offered in the ship's excursions. I think we'll try to book independently. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Administrators
We're going to be in Honolulu, Kailua-Kona, Hilo, and Lahaina in December, and we're looking for some great snorkel experiences. Does anyone know of any tours that are done on catamarans like the ones offered in the Caribbean? We've really enjoyed those, and I'm not seeing very much offered in the ship's excursions. I think we'll try to book independently. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Fair Wind II at Kona. It was one of the top highlights of our vacation -- it was a very nice catamaran ride to an amazing bay (Kealakekua, where Captain Cook's monument is, and which is also the traditional burial place for Hawaiian ali'i (royalty)). If you do a "search this forum" in the upper right corner of the board, and input "Fair Wind," as the search term, and limit it to the last six months, you will find several threads with detailed information about this excursion.

We didn't take it, because our ship didn't visit Lahaina, but when we do return to Maui for a land-based vacation the Trilogy snorkel trip to Lanai is also very high on our list. Same advice for searching for more information here on it, except use "trilogy" as your search term.

Now, having said that, we've also done several catamaran snorkel trips in the Caribbean -- and most of them have been far more about the partying, open bar, etc. than the snorkeling. We didn't look for that experience in Hawaii (though we enjoy those, too, and will do them again... in the Caribbean). Fair Wind II definitely doesn't fit that criteria -- there is a cash bar, but it's not a "party boat."

Fair Wind II at Kona. It was one of the top highlights of our vacation -- it was a very nice catamaran ride to an amazing bay

While I agree that the Fair Wind was a terrific trip, I don't think it's exactly the type of catamaran that the OP was referring to.

FW is a large catamaran fitting roughly 75 people. It uses only motor (the sail is on it for decoration only). There is no "trampoline" or net at the front that you can lay on and let the wind and salty spray hit you.

The cats I've sailed in the Caribbean are usual like 50' - 55' and are true sailing vessels. FW is not anything like them. I don't know who might sail them in HI, but keep in mind that the high surf and deep water of HI may not be as easily navigated as the calm Caribbean waters with a 50' cat.

• Administrators
While I agree that the Fair Wind was a terrific trip, I don't think it's exactly the type of catamaran that the OP was referring to.

FW is a large catamaran fitting roughly 75 people. It uses only motor (the sail is on it for decoration only). There is no "trampoline" or net at the front that you can lay on and let the wind and salty spray hit you.

The cats I've sailed in the Caribbean are usual like 50' - 55' and are true sailing vessels. FW is not anything like them. I don't know who might sail them in HI, but keep in mind that the high surf and deep water of HI may not be as easily navigated as the calm Caribbean waters with a 50' cat.

I thought about that, but since the original post referred to "great snorkel experiences" I thought I'd at least mention Fair Wind. :)

I thought about that, but since the original post referred to "great snorkel experiences" I thought I'd at least mention Fair Wind. :)

FW was indeed a great snorkel experience and a great experience all around. That trip managed to keep my 10, 12 and 14 year olds busy for 4 hours ... not an easy task. Even I was jumping off the diving platform within a short while.

I only mentioned it because I must admit that I was a little disappointed when I found out (prior to the trip) that it wasn't really a sailing vessel ... I got over it pretty quickly though. :D

We have actually decided to use mauiclassiccharters.com for our snorkeling trip in Maui. It leaves from Maalaea Harbor, not far from Lahania. We decided to book it for several reasons. First they received a great rating from the Revealed book, they offer SNUBA, they provide breakfast, lunch and an open bar and if you book at least 7 days in advance you get 15% off the cost. We thought it was a great deal. :D

Letha

• 2 weeks later...

We just sailed with Paragon last week and it was awesome! They actually sail the catamaran, even when the winds are light (they really work those sails)! On our way back from Molokini, we hit 20 knots!

You can ride the trampolines, which was fun and wet. They are a smaller vessel, so you don't feel like you are on a cattle hauler (holds just under 40 and we had just 15. Nice!) The crew was very friendly and helpful.

Snorkeling at Molokini was clear and beautiful and we weren't kept on a short "leash" like some of the other boats we saw there (no one on a boogie board yelling at us to get back with the other 100 snorkelers in a very small area.) They just kept an eye on us all as we explored wherever we wanted.

We booked on line, http://www.sailmaui.com/molokini.htm, and got a discounted price.

Highly recommended!

We cruised through Hawaii on the Carnival Spirit the beginning of this month. We had eliminated some snorkel excursions from consideration because we didn't want to have to chance missing their sail time because our cruise ship got us ashore too late; we also didn't want to spend extra to get to their dock via taxi or rental. We also wanted a true sail. Kamanu Snorkel, an independent out of Kailua-Kona, satisfied all the above. They picked us up at our pier via van and returned us free. They were a small cat, with less than two dozen capacity, allowing for great interaction and service with and by their crew of two. (The captain, BTW, was a retired PhD in oceanography with great conversation, as well as skill, to offer.) Check them out at (800) 348-3091 or www.kamanu.com (If you book via or even mention their web site, they offer a discount.) Hope this is of some help and that you have a great trip.

We took a catamaran out of Lahaina with Pacific Whale Foundation.It was a great experience and very well run.They have several different cruises available a morning snorkel including lunch and open bar (great Mai tai's) or an afternoon snorkel with a snack or they have a great sunset sail.Check there web site. If you go with them you won't be sorry.I took two of there trips five years apart and they were wonderful both times.

Archived