Taxi to Cockleshell?

Kim

Liz P... the RCI excursion "Turtle beach" transfer has been changed to Reggae Beach" transfer... is there a Reggae beach or is it Cockleshell they will be referring to with Reggae beach bar? Thought you would know! Looks like all ships will not be xferred there instead of Turtle Beach so it might not be quite as tranquil:confused: ... hope it doesnt spoil things. The transfer with tour on the way for 4.5 hours total is $37 USD PP.Hollyanna

I was on that excursion last week. You go on "Bob and Elvis De Party Bus" which is a brightly colored schoolbus with a comic horn. It's a nice tour of the island, but somewhat hard to see or get pictures because it's a bus. If you want spectacular views of the Atlantic ocean side on the way out, sit on the left.

Bear in mind that this beach isn't going to look like the ones on St. John or St. Martin or Antigua. The chairs are mostly under some trees so you might want to move onto the beach itself. For some reason, everyone was all packed together in that one spot. And yes, I thought it was crowded because of that. It's a Sunday and there are locals there.

You'll be hit on to buy shells, massages, and such. A lady showed up with a monkey on a leash and when my wife tried to take a picture, she was spoken to sharply. Seems the lady wants $5 for a picture.

It's a relatively inexpensive excursion and, since it's a short stay in that port, good to know that the ship has to wait for your return.

That 12-nighter is a good cruise. Enjoy!

Doc

I dont wnat toput a damper on any one on the way to St Kitts but there were a couple of issues. We knew that we wanted an short tour and then to Frigate Beach. Figured off the ship get a driver and on our way. No stress. Didnt go that way. Walked to the drivers and the first gentlemen said that no one was going to Frigate because bugs and was all torn up. Found out later from other pics that it was fine. Told us he would take to Cockelshell for 30.00 each but if more people came in that would be less. Told us to stand to the side. Then other drivers came up and wanted to drive us . told them that we had already made a deal. but they were all arguing. Wasnt pleasant island experience. Finally after a long wait another couple was ready to go. No explanation of island. Dropped us at Cockelshell and argued about the time. Finally agreed that he would be back at 12:15 not 1 as that was too close. Time came and went and he didnt return. He had not been paid. He said he was known as the BIG ONE. We caught another cab at 1 and made it back but the whole day was not what we were hoping for. Hoep out next trip back is better.

Minor complaint . . . politely aggressive women trolled the beach trying to sell aloe foot massages. They went away when you said "no", but there were several of them, so you had to say no to each one.

Overall, this was one of my favorite stops on our cruise.

That aloe foot massage sounds pretty good now... too bad I have to wait till February! Looks like I will make St. Kitts one of our beach days on our upcoming cruise. This thread has a lot of good information. I will keep checking for the latest info.

Still deciding on which beach to go to. We are a family of 4 -- DH and me, DD 15, DS 12. I'm happy with a lounge chair and a margarita (easy to please!). The rest of my family likes more activities (water trampoline, snorkel, food, local wares). Any suggestions on which beach for us?

• 4 weeks later...

We were on St Kitts last week. We took a cab to Reggae Beach Bar and it was $26 each way.(About a 25 minute trip) Our cab driver asked how long we wanted to be there; we asked him to come back at 2:30, and he was there. We rented beach lounges for $5 each, after eating lunch in the beachside bar. Our waitress came by frequently and kept us supplied with rum punch.:) I asked about Wilbur the pig, but he wasn't there. She said he was too big to move from the previous location! I would highly recommend spending time on this beautiful beach.

• 2 weeks later...
Liz P... the RCI excursion "Turtle beach" transfer has been changed to Reggae Beach" transfer... is there a Reggae beach or is it Cockleshell they will be referring to with Reggae beach bar? Thought you would know! Looks like all ships will not be xferred there instead of Turtle Beach so it might not be quite as tranquil:confused: ... hope it doesnt spoil things. The transfer with tour on the way for 4.5 hours total is $37 USD PP.Hollyanna

We just got off the Explorer yesterday. My BF and I did this trip through RCI and were miserable. Almost everyone on our trip went to the shore excursion desk and complained. The "tour" consisted of pointing out grocery stores and bus stops. It was horrible. I know others said they loved this beach, personally, it was the ugliest beach I've ever been to! The bar was nice but the beach was shells and rocks. By the time we got there (remember this was the ship excursion), all of the chairs were gone and there was no where to even put out towels down. We had to go so far down the beach the waitresses wouldn't even come down there. Just my opinion but I know others on my trip were not happy either. Have a great trip!!! We loved our vacation and I'm sad to be home!

Archived