What to do in Dominica and Antigua?

hazz24

My Dh and I are not big sight seeing people. Any ideas about what to do on these 2 stops. I heave looked at different sights on line but am leary about booking some things as we are alone on this trip and I've always been told to only go with the ships excursions. We leave Dec 2.

My Dh and I are not big sight seeing people. Any ideas about what to do on these 2 stops. I heave looked at different sights on line but am leary about booking some things as we are alone on this trip and I've always been told to only go with the ships excursions. We leave Dec 2.

Antgiua - do the stingray swim and snorkle, one of the best trips the dh and i went on!

River tubing in Dominica was a blast. We did it through the ship!

Did you do it through RCL or another cruise line

I would like to do it thorugh the ship and emerald falls and Mr Nices fruit stand but do not know how to do it all in the same day the most economical.

Did you do it through RCL or another cruise line

I would like to do it thorugh the ship and emerald falls and Mr Nices fruit stand but do not know how to do it all in the same day the most economical.

We did it through Carnival but we had RCCL people on the tour also. 1 bus arrived at the starting point from Carnival and one from RCCL. They broke us up though so it wasn't a huge group.

On my cruise in May '06 (Carnival) we visited Dominica. Since no one else in my group wanted to get off the ship, myself and two lovely people I met while disembarking hired a driver. There was also another man from our ship. (It came to about $15 each) and the driver took us all over that beautiful island. We stopped at all the beautiful falls and clear streams. We stopped at a little cafe where he knew everybody. He even got a local and his parrot to pose for pix. He took us to the area with the hot sulphur springs that supposedly have healing powers (they are really boiling). We took pictures with more of the locals, etc.

I am so happy I did this since I really didn't have much of a desire to explore that island, thinking there was not much to see. Boy was I wrong! It has the clearest, purest drinking water in the world and it's all natural. It is very sparsely populated and hardly any pollution. Also, I made some new and interesting friends.

Also, there is a small, quaint outdoor "straw market" and shopping area where you can pick up some inexpensive things.

Good luck and hope you can explore Dominica.

Ms. Spontaneous and I got married on Jolly Beach while the AOS was in port on 3 May 07. Beautiful Beach. White sand. Montserat in the background. Lots of activities and if you purchase the day pass food and drink. If you are looking for a day to relax this would be a great day to do this. Just down the the road is the Jungle Line excursion. WHere you sail through the canopy attached to a line from one tree to another.

If you want some pictures of the beach I can send them.

Rick

In Antigua, we did the extrame nav tour in a speedboat around the entire island. It makes multiple stops to snorkle at Hells Gate, Stingray City, etc, remote beaches, lunch, etc. It took much of the day and the scenery was just incredible. It made me want to visit Antigua again.

It's fast, rough and you WILL get wet but worth every minute!

In Antigua, we did Eli's Eco Tour; it is NOT offered through the ship, and I believe Eli also runs the Extreme tour Fritz mentions above.

It is very convenient, their pickup point is right at the end of the dock.

We also saw Hell's Gate (Eli's claims to be the only tour that will take you there), as well as Bird Island, mangrove swamps, and a lot of nice scenery. There is also a stop at an awesome place to slip off the boat and go snorkling (they provide equipment - and if you want a little instruction, they'll help you out while you're stopped at Bird Island, which is also where lunch was served). Rum punch is available AFTER the Hell's Gate stop - they want you fully functional if you decide to get in the water there and go to the gate (the guide will take you up on top of it if you want).

We've done Eli's tours 5 times (4 on the Eco, 1 on the Xtreme) and we'll be back with him this coming January. He's definitely the only excursion that goes to Hells Gate, and while may excursions are similar to those you'll find on other islands, neither of Eli's is duplicated anywhere else that I know of. They're our all-time favorite excursions! And although they are ship sponsored, I've never worried about getting back on time, and have never heard of anyone having any trouble.

In Dominica, get into the interior of the island. It is beautilful!! Or if that doesn't float your boat, try whale watching. Have been there twice and enjoyed it. If you are looking for party sites and wonderful beaches, this isn't the place. Have never been on RCCL but on HAL, I highly recommend the Carib Indian tour if offered by RCCL. Enjoy the island.

Hazz24; Dominica is one of the most pristine and beautiful islands I have ever seen. You can drink from the streams and eat wild fruit as you can hike without fear. The people are the most friendly you will find. As others have said, if you are looking to party, this is not the island. If you are looking for waterfalls, scenery, amazing diving and snorkeling if so inclined, then this is the place. Here are the people we used on our trip

http://www.castlecomfortdivelodge.com/tours.html

They will take you on whatever kind of tour you want, and will customize a tour to meet your needs. Do go to the falls (really hot on one side, the other really cold) as they are a blast. The emerald pools are also beautiful. Have fun and walk around. Many people live in primitive structures and are what we might consider poor, but if you walk by their homes and watch their interactions with children/relatives, they are happy and very rich indeed. No sales pressures on this island.

Amy

Hazz24; Dominica is one of the most pristine and beautiful islands I have ever seen. You can drink from the streams and eat wild fruit as you can hike without fear. The people are the most friendly you will find. As others have said, if you are looking to party, this is not the island. If you are looking for waterfalls, scenery, amazing diving and snorkeling if so inclined, then this is the place. Here are the people we used on our trip

http://www.castlecomfortdivelodge.com/tours.html

They will take you on whatever kind of tour you want, and will customize a tour to meet your needs. Do go to the falls (really hot on one side, the other really cold) as they are a blast. The emerald pools are also beautiful. Have fun and walk around. Many people live in primitive structures and are what we might consider poor, but if you walk by their homes and watch their interactions with children/relatives, they are happy and very rich indeed. No sales pressures on this island.

Amy

We are not looking to party as I am not comfortable drinking in a foriegn place (call me old fashioned) We love beaches and and seeing beatiful places. Thanks for the advice I will take a look.

Archived