Cyber Cabin Questions

JF4300

Sailing on the Explorer this November and would like to bring my laptop with wireless capability. Can someone help answer a few questions:

1. Do you use your own dial up account (like Earthlink) or connect to one designated by RCCI?

2. What is the connection speed? 56K?

3. Are the "kits" they mention on their website readily available or hard to get?

3. Where are the "hot spots" on the Explorer?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some help.

Sailing on the Explorer this November and would like to bring my laptop with wireless capability. Can someone help answer a few questions:

1. Do you use your own dial up account (like Earthlink) or connect to one designated by RCCI?

2. What is the connection speed? 56K?

3. Are the "kits" they mention on their website readily available or hard to get?

3. Where are the "hot spots" on the Explorer?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some help.

Hello,

This topic has been discussed a lot over the past few weeks. Try and do a search on this forum and you will get a lot of results with a wealth of information. I understand that wifi is available on the Voyager class ships in certain public spaces (hotspots). It is however, very very sloooooow. Pretty much the same as dial up connection. You can get cyber cabin kits (dial up) at guest relations and you can then choose from a variety of plans (unlimited, etc ...)

We will sail on Explorer during Christmas/New Year and I have looked into this for a while now. I have eventually come to the decision that dial up is probably a better option as you can stay in your cabin! Hope this helps:)

When you get your kit from the Purser's Desk, and they are first come, first served so go early, you take it to your room and on Voyager class ships, disconnect the phone, plug the kit in, then plug the phone into the correct jack on the kit, and the cable into the computer's modem jack. You have to have an analog modem in your computer to use Cyber Cabin. You dial in to the number they provide and essentially it just connects you to the Net. You don't have to use any particular provider, when you connect and pull up IE, you will get your home page. As far as I know, the only plan option you have for Cyber Cabin is one price for unlimited dial up at 44.6 Kbaud. Wi-fi (802.11b) is available on Voyager class in the library, cyber center, vicinity of Purser's desk, business center, solarium, and vicinity of the cafe in the Promenade. Wi-fi is 50 cents/min, or $25 for 60 minutes, $35 for 90 minutes, $50 for 150 minutes. If you get on early or late or even better, when everyone is ashore and the ship is empty, it's pretty quick, if you try to log on during lunch time on a sea day, you'll be sharing the connection with several hundred new buddies, it's like watching grass grow, you'll be lucky to download your mail.

Archived