Amadeus Black Sea - Budapest -> Istanbul

WIT

I would imagine that one would be very over dressed in a tuxedo on a rivercruise.I have only taken one rivercruise Budapest to Amsterdam but never saw any cocktail dresses or tuxedoes. I never even saw anyone in a tie either. Our cruise was very casual!DH was happy to leave suit,tie and even sportcoat at home and never felt out of place.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have recent experience with Turkish visas? Appears easier and cheaper to simply buy at the border??? Recommendations welcome!

Al - Based on reports of slow processing at the border, we went to the Turkish Consulate in Chicago. It was the only place where my wife's titanium neck plate triggered the alarm - it's usually my artificial knee that sets it off. They had the visas ready for us after lunch. They used an abbreviated form instead of the one we had prepared in advance.

About half of our group had visas in advance as we approached the Turkish border. Much to our surprise, processing of our passports and remaining visas was quick and friendly. They even pronounced our names correctly when they returned our passports.

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

Azkitty - Your bank should charge you the current exchange rate - about 175 to the US dollar. You can also get HF near the luggage claim area in Ferihegy airport or at one of the many ATMs in the commercial area. Do not forget to make sure that your password is ONLY numbers or it will not work in Europe, and of course notify your bank/creditcard that you will be overseas.

The Szechenyi Thermal Baths are easily accessible using their Metro - signs are in English - read my post at the beginning of this thread for details.

I recommend the Central Cellar on Vaci Utca for a great Hungarian meal. Don't be fooled by the small entrance - just go down one flight and it is like you have gone back a few hundred years to visit a massive torch-lit brick eating hall.

WIT

• 4 weeks later...

Toni - Here are some suggestions if you have extra time in Budapest.

Use their subway. It has English signs, is quick, clean, inexpensive and safe. Their subway stops at many of the things you might want to see while there.

I'm not sure if the Opera season includes August, but Budapest is second to perhaps only Vienna as a music-lovers community. Performances every night of the week with many young people in the audience. Inexpensive tickets.

Try the Szechenyi outdoor thermal baths. It is one of the subway stops - you can even rent a suit. We brought our own suits and rented a locked changing room and towels. With admission our total was about $15 US, and half was refunded back when we didn't stay all day. The locals have a yearly pass and 'take the waters' nearly every day.

If you like to walk you can easily cover much of Pest on foot. Buda is on the hilly West side of the Danube. Four walks detailed in the beginning of this thread are

(1) Castle District - cross the Chain Bridge, go up the funicular to Fishermen's Bastion, check out St.Matthias and the National Museum. (the cruise will include a morning bus tour that gets you to this area but the best views across the river are in the late afternoon with the sun at your back, and you can find one of the nice restaurants in the area)

(2) Go up the river and tour Margit Hid (Island). It is a huge city park much used by residents.

(3) Take the M1 subway line to Ontonagon and walk back to central Pest along Andrassy Utca (means avenue, pronounced 'ootzah'). Andrassy has upscale shopping and lovely interior courtyards to peek in.

(4) Find Cafe Gerbaud at the North end of Vorosmarty Ter (square). It is a subway stop. Go to the South end of the small square to Vaci Utca. It is Budapest's pedestrian mall/tourist trap. We had some great inexpensive meals venturing off Vaci Utca. When the pedestrian mall ends, continue two blocks more the the Great Hall Marketplace. If you haven't stopped for a bit by the time you return then definitely stop in Cafe Gerbaud for a cafe and one of their exquisite cakes or pastries. (they also have a full restaurant downstairs)

Try some Magyar comfort food - paprika laced stews with wonderful crusty bread. Goose liver is available everywhere. Sometimes it was presented multiple ways in the same meal.

Consider hiring a guide. I recall some posts on the River Cruise forum mentioning Budapest guides which can be found using the search function.

There are tunnels under the hilly Buda side which can be toured.

Szentendre (St.Andrew) and a couple other Danube Bend towns will fill up most of a day by bus tour and show you the Hungarian countryside. THe cruise will probably bus you to a Puszta horsemanship show. I have a clip of a black stallion doing a Viennese waltz on my webalbum from this show.

Here is the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski

Feel free to ask questions when you have some.

WIT

• 4 weeks later...

Sue - If you can get a visa in advance I would certainly do so - otherwise take your luck at the border. The bus drive from Bulgaria into Istanbul is a two day drive, so plan to have something to read.

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

I crossed the border into Turkey with Amadeus earlier THIS WEEK. Wait until the border to purchase (actually cruise director collects money, $20 cash for each American passport). Everyone that purchased ahead of time was SORRY that they WASTED their money, usually about a total around $100 for the visa service. By the way this does NOT delay the bus.

Thans for that advice re the visa. We have decided to wait until the Border so it was great to read your comments. We are leaving Oz in 2 weeks and starting our river cruise in weeks.

Sue

I crossed the border into Turkey with Amadeus earlier THIS WEEK. Wait until the border to purchase (actually cruise director collects money, $20 cash for each American passport). Everyone that purchased ahead of time was SORRY that they WASTED their money, usually about a total around $100 for the visa service. By the way this does NOT delay the bus.
I agree. We walked into the consulate in person - cost us $20 apiece. Glad to hear the border is quick and friendly./

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Victoria,

We have been on four AMA cruises and have found the food to be very good. Breakfast is buffet style and lunch was ordered off the menu most of the times and also buffet style. Dinner was ordered off the menu and included wine, beer and soft drinks at no added cost. The drinks during the day were $5 each and during happy hour $2.50. If you are celebrating a birthday or other special occasion, tell the cruise director at the beginning of the cruise and they will see that a special dessert will arrive at your table. We have experienced excellent food on our trips with them and are pleased with their operation. Barbara

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived