Need advice from those who live in San Diego

PJBUCHEIT

Its really not that bad of a drive. I drive back and forth from LA to Vancouver often - ok once or twice a year. According to mapqwest its 458 miles and 7 hours driving time - and that's doing the speed limit.

Leaving Stockton you've got that long stretch of I-5 which since it doesn't have many off ramps moves pretty smoothly. Here's where I see you might have a problem and need to plan accordingly. The Grapevine. During late November the weather can be unpredictable. If there is snow it might make it tough to get through BUT if there is, you simply drive to a hotel just before - spend the night and get up the next day and head down. Make a reservation before you leave home. From Bakersfield to San Diego its 233 miles - and a straight shot as well. Traffic though LA will be almost non existent on Thanksgiving Day, certainly few going to work so no major traffic jam.

Spreading it out should work well for you. You can sleep at your regular time and get up for a much shorter drive and everyone will be relatively refreshed.

You could also drive through, but getting there so early in the morning is kind of pointless and tiring as you can't board until noonish anyway.

Well, I booked our flights on Southwest Airlines leaving on Wednesday and then booked our room at the BestWestern Seven Sea's. I feel much better now about the whole trip down there. I really did not want to spend the extra money, but I think now, I will be much more relaxed about the whole trip. Thanks guys for all your advice.

Good Plan!!!

I am so glad that DH and I decided to go ahead and book the flights. It really has taken all of the worring away about the trip down to San Diego. We got our docs yesterday delivered by Fed-Ex and now we are good to go.

Archived