Pryate13

roosterhead

Pryate13,

You have been a wealth of information, in matter of fact, when in Tortola I plan on heading to Trellis bay and Marina Cay per your suggestion from a previous post. It looks like a very interesting time. My question is this, Is it possible to do Apple Bay also? By this I mean, The Bomba shack, Nan's and David Thrasher studio?

If that is possible, could I also hit Brewers Bay?

I will be in on a cruise ship for 8 hours. I know it will limit my time at all places, but does it sound like a decent plan?

Thank you in advance!

It's hard for me to answer as I don't have enough information. You say you have 8 hours but what are they and will they fit the Marina Cay ferry schedule?

In all honesty I would not try to do Apple Bay and Marina Cay in the same day. They are on completely opposite ends of the island and much time would be taken up traveling between them as well as getting from the ship to one or the other and back again.

The beach at Apple Bay is hit and miss depending on the wave action. I stayed at a house on the beach back in April, when we arrived, no beach, just rocks. Two days later we had all the beach we needed. Two days after that it was gone again but returned later the next day and stayed for the rest of our visit.

There are no chairs on the beach at Bomba's and nothing happens there until later in the evening. Even when they have live music it rarely starts going before 8-9 PM. During the day the bar is nearly deserted and sometimes not even open.

Although Nan's art is pretty cool, (I do own one of her Mocko Jumbies) the stuff at Flukes Gallery and Aragorn's Studio at Trellis is great. Flukes is mostly prints of sea life and shells. Aragorn's work is quite diverse.

By the way, the November issue of Caribbean Travel & Life magazine has a wonderful article on the Gli-Gli Caribbean heritage canoe that Aragorn was instrumental in building and it is based at his place in Trellis bay.

For what it's worth and hopefully this will help you out here is the Marina Cay ferry schedule.

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_marinacay.htm

Archived