SA cabins on the Zuiderdam

oaky

We booked three cabins in the SA catagory on the Zuiderdam for our Nov.cruise. Are there any past HAL cruisers that were in SA cabins that can share their experience and let us know what we are in for? From what we read in the brochure it looks wonderful. However, we would really appreciate a first hand experence report.

Any information provided would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We booked three cabins in the SA catagory on the Zuiderdam for our Nov.cruise. Are there any past HAL cruisers that were in SA cabins that can share their experience and let us know what we are in for? From what we read in the brochure it looks wonderful. However, we would really appreciate a first hand experence report.

Any information provided would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am going to do 1st hand experience in 3 days! Can't wait!

We sailed the Westerdam in 2006 to Alaska. It is a sister ship to the Zuiderdam so I think it will be just the same. We had a SS and it was great. So much room and the bathroom is wonderful with double sinks, tub and shower. The SA will be even better. Balcony is bigger than the one we have had on Carnival. Our room steward was always there for anything we needed. We saw him several times a day. The dining room staff was not as good nor the food as Carnival. I think the entertainment on Carnival was better. I guess there are always some things better on one than another so you just enjoy it. We enjoyed our cruise on HA. Just a little different atmosphere.

I was in an SA on the Zuiderdam last May, and it was great. There were 3 of us (adults) sharing the stateroom, and even with the extra person, it felt roomy. We went to Alaska, so didn't use the verandah much, though it was quite large, with 2 lounge chairs and a table with 4 chairs. The concierge service was wonderful -- saved us having to make any trips to the front desk or shore excursion office.

Even though I discovered on that cruise that Vista-class ships just aren't for me (too big), I absolutely loved that stateroom!

Here is a portion of my review of our SA Suite aboard the Noordam last May. The two ships are virtually identical. Hope this is of some benefit.

"Cabin: Large suite with a 19 foot balcony. Well appointed with plenty of storage. Separate shower and bath/shower with Jacuzzi. His and her sinks and medicine chests. Nice dressing area with good lighting. Plenty of closet space. Comfy bed with enough pillows for a whole family. Champagne and fruit. All of the pre-purchased gifts were there except for the most important. The gin and vodka for the 5:00 p.m. cocktail hour were nowhere to be found. First trip to the Neptune Lounge for the concierge’s assistance. Showed her my receipt, and although it took 24 hours, the bottles did arrive – together with a plate of chocolate strawberries and a note of apology. Within minutes of settling into our cabin, our steward, Suba, knocked on our door to introduce himself. Again, he knew our name. Throughout the cruise, Suba was wonderful. The room was visited throughout the day and “touched up”. I gave him my tuxedo and asked for it to be pressed for following night’s formal evening. I had it back the next morning, as well as the few shirts I wanted laundered due to packing-wrinkling. Room service tip: Ask them to call you when the dining tray is on its way. They do it and it’s nice to know when they will be there. Neptune Lounge tip #1. We like our cappuccino with a double shot. They use an automatic machine with buttons for coffee, latte, espresso and tea. If you like your cappuccino a little stronger, hit the espresso first. Then hit the cappuccino. Much better. Neptune Lounge tip #2: After the first full breakfast, I found that we preferred just the sweet rolls, orange juice, fresh fruit and cappuccino available at the Lounge. I took the silver water tray from beneath the water pitcher in the room and found it worked perfectly for a single trip to the Lounge. It was quick and I selected only what we wanted. Neptune Lounge tip #3: Tell the concierge you want a standing order for hot hors d'oeuvres every day at 5:00. They bring‘em. It’s nice."

You'll love your SA Suite on Zuiderdam. We just returned from 17 days in an SC (because we wanted the wrap-around balcony for the Panama Canal cruise) but had several friends in SAs, so we spent a lot of time there. Suite amenities are the same in the SC, SB and SAs, and previous posters have done a great job explaining them.

Remember that you will have priority boarding for tenders (show your room keycard, which is gold-colored, not blue) and you can board the tenders without going to the Vista Lounge and waiting.

You also have the privilege of breakfast in the Pinnacle Grille. Same menu as the dining room, and same operating hours, but the service is fantastic. It's for suite guests only, and the most we ever saw for breakfast during our 2.5 weeks was maybe 15 guests. A wonderful, relaxing way to start the morning.

Enjoy your cruise ... wish we were going with you.

Archived