Private excursions in Villefranche and tendering

We just booked a Med cruise for next year on the VOS. Our stop in Villefranche is from 10:00-7:00. From my readings on these boards I have learned that this is a tender port and it can take up to 2 hours to depart the ship for a non RCCL tour. My question is how can you plan a private excursion in this port if you don't know when you will get off the ship?

We hired a private driver/guide in this port (Sylvie DeCristo).

Here is the link to my review for CC-http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33699

Sylvie was GREAT.:D

Most private drivers/guides know that it takes time to get people off of the ship at Villefranche. They know people have to be tendered into the very small harbor.

My suggestion would be to book your guide at 10:00 or 10:30 am. People were being tendered off earlier than 10 am by far (we were on VOS Sept 29-Oct 6). We docked there early in the morning, and people were moving off by 8 am...:)

Have fun. By hiring a private guide/driver, we were able to see quite a bit more than people taking the ship's excursions! :D

I enjoyed reading your review. You put me at ease about Iberia as that is the airline we will be flying because of our ff miles with Americian. We flew Iberia 30 years ago and did not have a good experience. We were delayed 24 hours flying into Madrid due to mechanical problems and 24 hours returning to NYC due to overbooking.

I am definitely interested in a private tour in Villefranche but wasn't sure what to do about the tendering situation. I will go ahead and book something. As you said, I'm sure the tour guides know the situation.

Glad to know my review helped.

And really--we had no issues with Iberia. The layout of Madrid's airport make the travel from one gate/terminal to another difficult. But, can I blame that on Iberia? Not really....:D

You'll have a great time no matter what you decide to do. :D

Hi, I took a private tour in VilleFranche and had no problem getting tendered in in plenty of time.

What you need to do is bring a copy of your confirmation email from the tour company and show it on the tendering day and they will get you off prior to others without tours. Of course, the cruise company tours go off first but we had no problem on Celebrity Millenium.

Oh, and by the way, this was one of the prettiest tours we took. It is an amazing place.

Marlane

How did you get in touch with Sylvie de Cristo?

I googled her web sites but could not contact her.

Thanks

joan

I have misplaced her card. Let me get in touch with one of the others I met here on CC...via our roll call...who were on the tour with us. We've all stayed in touch since we have gotten back! :D

We are just off the Brilliance. We met friends who live just outside of Nice.

The tender tickets were going to be available at 8:30. We were told to go at 8AM in case there was a long line to get them. With no one in line, and at about 8:15AM we got ticket #1. As soon as they called our #, we were off. It was simple.

Go ahead and book your tour for 10AM.

How did you get in touch with Sylvie de Cristo?

I googled her web sites but could not contact her.

Thanks

joan

Here is Sylvie DiCristo's email and phone information: mailto:sylvie.di.cristo@wanadoo.fr

Sylvie DI CRISTO / A.G.I

Guide Interprète

She was highly recommended by people here on CC. Her card says "Like having a cousin in the South of France!" And, it was so true. She is very friendly and warm. And, what a fun sense of humor.

If you contact her and decide to book with her...I hope you have a fun day and enjoy her services.

Peggy

Archived