Magen's Bay vs. Trunk/Cinnamon bay...is it worth the hassle?

JWestShuh

I am going to St Thomas in March on the NCL Dawn and am trying to plan the perfect excursion. Basically, my husband and I would like to relax on a beautiful beach and possibly participate in watersports or snorkel. I have heard that Magen's bay is beautiful but have also heard that Trunk bay in St. John is beautiful as well (as well as less crowded). Our ship is only at port from 8am to 4pm and I am wondering if making the trip to St. John is really worth the hassle. Any information would be appreciated!

Trunk Bay is my favorite beach of all the ones I've been to on my 5 cruises. However, if you want to do anything other than swimming and snorkeling, this is NOT the beach for you. No floats, no kayaks, no non-motorized water equipment.....just a beautiful beach and instant relaxation!

To me the best thing about stopping in St Thomas is St John.

Trunk bay is beautiful, Cinnamon Bay is better for water sports than Trunk, IMO.

You'll have plenty of time to go to St John, and even have a few drinks at the bars along the pier at Cruz Bay.

Enjoy, whatever you decide to do!

Jan

I am going to St Thomas in March on the NCL Dawn and am trying to plan the perfect excursion. Basically, my husband and I would like to relax on a beautiful beach and possibly participate in watersports or snorkel. I have heard that Magen's bay is beautiful but have also heard that Trunk bay in St. John is beautiful as well (as well as less crowded). Our ship is only at port from 8am to 4pm and I am wondering if making the trip to St. John is really worth the hassle. Any information would be appreciated!

Megan's, Trunk and Cinnamon are beautiful beaches. Trunk and Cinnamon have good snorkeling. Megan's Bay reportedly is strictly for beach and swimming - not for snorkeling.

Megan and Trunk both get crowded later in the day, Trunk Bay especially when the ship tours start to arrive.

Cinnamon draws fewer people.

I LOVE Magen's Bay and I think if you don't consider snorkeling opportunities, it is a better beach than Trunk Bay. I would say it's very similar to Cinnamon Bay, except Cinnamon Bay will be less crowded.

Magen's Bay can get crowded in the afternoon, but if you walk down the beach away from the snack bar, you lose the crowds. I would do Magen's Bay, especially if this is your first trip to these islands.

If we do make the trip to Trunk bay, which is what I have decided to do based on reviews from other CCs, do you think we would have enough time? We will be in port from 8am to 4pm. I have just heard that a lot of the ferries have been late or cancelled in the pm. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Magen's Bay had tons of people and was very dirty when we visited. There were cigarettes and garbage around and lots of people with ghetto blasters. That was a couple of years ago. We've avoided it since then. Not our idea of a great beach. Trunk Bay by contrast is gorgeous -- immaculate, quiet, great snorkeling.

Magen's Bay had tons of people and was very dirty when we visited. There were cigarettes and garbage around and lots of people with ghetto blasters. That was a couple of years ago.

See, it was the exact opposite when we visited last April. There were a lot of people, but it never felt overly crowded, and no garbage or loud music. Hmm.

Magen's Bay had tons of people and was very dirty when we visited. There were cigarettes and garbage around and lots of people with ghetto blasters. That was a couple of years ago. We've avoided it since then. Not our idea of a great beach. Trunk Bay by contrast is gorgeous -- immaculate, quiet, great snorkeling.

Ditto, we spent 10 days on St Thomas and St John last summer and Magen's was our least favorite, in fact we didn't even stop, we only drove through. Many, many people, several parties going on and we didn't thing the beach looked nearly as pretty as Sapphire Beach. Our first two nights were spent on St Thomas and after spending a week on the St John beaches (Cinnamon, Trunk, Hawksnest, Francis, Jumbie, etc, etc) Magen's was definitely at the bottom of our list...but too each his own!!:D

Trunk Bay is a great beach... Great snorkling, little else.

Megan's is a great beach... Watersports, no real snorkling.

How one can have a serious opinion or even put a beach on a 'list' when you only drove by... I've got no idea. Megans is beautiful, but one should park oneself a ways down from the concessions (which were reasonably tidy the couple times I've been).

To answer the OP though...

If your ship leaves at 4, then you should be back on before that and going to St. Johns becomes a bit greater hassle and concern then. You only get a couple hours on the beach there.

I'd go to Megans and not have to keep looking at my watch, and have time to putter around downtown later...

How one can have a serious opinion or even put a beach on a 'list' when you only drove by... I've got no idea.

The reason it got put on the bottom of our list is because we drove through the parking lot at Magen's late one afternoon and we saw nothing but crowds of people and several parties going on which turned us off, especially since we had DD13 with us, and I already knew from the travel boards that it wasn't a snorkeling beach and we do a lot of snorkeling...so to us, we just weren't impressed but like I said, too each his own. ;) IMO Sapphire was much less crowded with great snorkeling, and the St John beaches were much less crowded and had great snorkeling. After we left Magens we drove up to the overlook above it and it was pretty but I don't think it came close to comparing to the beauty of the Trunk Bay overlook. With that said, Hawknest was my personal favorite of all the beaches we visited on St Thomas and St John, no watersports but quiet, small and great snorkeling.

Arguing the relative merits of Megan's vs. Sapphire vs. Trunk amounts to heads you win, tails you win; we should all have such trouble in life... :)

I concede = Megan's is the most crowded of the bunch... Although I've never been to Sapphire (would've gone last week but the weather stunk), Jeanes report conforms to many that consider it top notch.

Kruiszertogether - you can settle this... why not go to Megan's and Sapphire

How far on St. Thomas equates to how much cab fare...

$10 to Megans from Charlotte Amalie.

$13 to Sapphire from Charlotte Amalie.

$12 from Megans to Sapphire.

So - with the beach entry they're about the same cost and by adding $12 you could do both.

Archived