how to keep your things dry while cave tubing?

maggiepie11

We booked through cave-tubing.com and Yhoni told us they take full responsibility for our stuff that we leave on the locked bus. Cash, clothes etc.

That said--has anyone done that? Their taking full responsibility doesn't do us much good if we leave our passports on the bus and they're stolen. How do we deal with that?

They're so reputable on these critic boards, but still... any other suggestions?

Or tell me to relax--I'm on vacation. :)

Thanks!

We booked through cave-tubing.com and Yhoni told us they take full responsibility for our stuff that we leave on the locked bus. Cash, clothes etc.

That said--has anyone done that? Their taking full responsibility doesn't do us much good if we leave our passports on the bus and they're stolen. How do we deal with that?

They're so reputable on these critic boards, but still... any other suggestions?

Or tell me to relax--I'm on vacation. :)

Thanks!

I may be wrong but do not take your passport with you....take a copy of it.

We used cave tubing.com and left our things on the bus--however, we don't usually take our passports on shore, and not too much else that's really valuable.

We had no problem at all and neither did anyone else on the bus. I think you will be pretty safe as their business depends largely on word of mouth and would be badly hurt if clients' belongings were stolen.

We have been on six cruises and a number of trips, and we have never taken our passports off the ship. You will have a card issued by your cruiseline, and that is all you are going to need ashore (in order to get back on your ship). Some cruisers take their passports with them for the "adventure" of getting them stamped with a visa from the country they are visiting, but besides being a waste of your valuable time ashore--and the time of the officials needed, who may or may not be amused to provide the visa--there is always the risk of their being lost, stolen or damaged. The cards you are issued by the cruiseline are prima facie evidence of the truth of your statement that the passports are on board. And if you are carrying copies of the passports as well--which is pretty much gilding the lily--, who is going to argue with you?

There are a number of "waterproof wallets"--essentially plastic boxes or plastic envelopes--with or without seals--which you can purchase, and these work well in my experience (one brand is "Pelikan"), if you are REALLY worried. I use them for cash, my ship card, and my driver's license when for example I am snorkeling. But carrying a passport--which would fit in the boxes we have--we do not risk.

The only time we have been asked for passports abroad has been in Europe, and for an extended stay in Canada where a visa was required. It is true the Homeland Security people here take an unwholesome interest in seeing them, but if they go missing abroad you are going to be visiting an American Embassy or Consulate anyway, where you can report what happened and you can get a temporary emergency document.

Relax! You're on vacation! :D

Archived