Family excursion ideas in Ocho

Javacruiser

We will be going to Ocho Rios in January '08 as part of our Carnival cruise. There will be 6 of us including 2 kids aged 9 & 8. My wifes parents will be along also & they are late 50's. Any ideas other than the popular answer of Dunns River Falls. We'd like something with a moderate activity level and hopefully something that will have some educational value as far as Jamaican culture.

We've done the mountain biking twice in Jamaica and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. I realize that you have a couple of 50+ cruisers in your group but the route is 95% downhill and there is a vehicle that follows the group (anyone that can't manage or wants to drop out can easily do that). The scenery is great. There are several stops along the way for drinks, a bit of history/nature thrown in. Last tour we stopped at an elementary school and visited one of the classes. One tour ended at Dunn's falls, the other ended at a private swimming area.

Something different to consider.

Although we usually do not book tours through the cruiselines, in the case of these mountain biking tours we did. One tour was 5-6 years ago on a Princess cruise, the second tour was 2 years ago on a Royal Caribbean cruise. If you go into the RCCL website and look at the shore tours for Jamaica, they may mention the operator (I'm sure you can save a few bucks by booking directly).

Although we usually do not book tours through the cruiselines, in the case of these mountain biking tours we did. One tour was 5-6 years ago on a Princess cruise, the second tour was 2 years ago on a Royal Caribbean cruise. If you go into the RCCL website and look at the shore tours for Jamaica, they may mention the operator (I'm sure you can save a few bucks by booking directly).

This tour seems to be run by Chukka Caribbean Adventures (www.chukkacaribbean.com) and can only be booked through the ship, as indicated in the following quote from their site...

Terms of Use

1. (...) Cruise ship passengers will need to book with their cruise ship directly as spaces are pre-sold to ships on their arrival dates. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

I thoroughly recommend Carolyn Barrett from Barretts Adventures. Our group of 10 (5 adults & 5 kids) spent a wonderful day with her. She picked us up at the cruise terminal and we toured Mayfield Falls, she told us about the history of the island and she even worked at Rose Hall. If you book with her you should ask her about it. She took us to Margaritaville and helped us with shopping--letting us know when we were being overcharged. We had a great time with her and she was the highlight of our trip.

Colyn

Archived