Cayo Levantado- RCCL Excursion

patrickc

I just wanted to share our experience from our recent RCCL trip - we were in Samana October 24, 2007. I highly recommend the ship's excursion for $15 to Cayo Levantado-- it was our favorite part of the entire cruise. Quick tip- pack some rain ponchos from the dollar store-- as you are whisked to the island on speedboats without any shelter. We had a torrential downpour -- and thanks to the ponchos, it kept our bags/towels/cameras dry. The sun finally came out late morning. I have been to the DR a few times-- and really enjoyed this part of the country (in past had been to La Romana, Bayahibe & Punta cana). The scenery is breath taking. Pictures do not do it justice. The water was extremely clear-- and I enjoyed snorkeling & picking up giant starfish. Very well-maintained facilities. Great shopping. Gorgeous beach. Extremely friendly people- (no one was hawking their wares on the beach- only in the shopping area). If you are lucky enough to be in this part of the world, on a cruise, do not skip this port. Get the excursion & go to Cayo. It's wonderful.

Question about the RCCL Cayo Levantado excursion. Are we able to go back and forth on the tenders from the ship to the beach, or does the RCCL tender drop you off at the beach and return only in time to take you back to the ship at the end of the five hours?

Archived