Cruising at Christmas on QM2

Epicurean

My wife and I are traveling on the QM2 at Christmas time with our two children (ages 2 1/2 and 8). We went ahead and booked two adjoining balcony cabins. Until tonight I had no idea that these cabins are refered to as an in-hull balcony. :eek: When I saw the picture online I became very concerned that it may not be safe for a young child. :mad: We have traveled with our children on several other ships including: Crystal, Seabourn, Disney, Celebrity and Princess. While we have had balconies on all ships (except Seabourn of course) we have never had a balcony that looks like an in-hull balcony.

My question is how safe this is for a young child? :confused: While we watch him constantly, it is not always easy to keep an eye on anyone 100% of the time. The balconies on Crystal, Disney (the Roy Disney Suite), Celebrity and Princess have not been a problem. They have all been very safe. The picture I saw this evening looks more prone to fostering climbing desires in a young boy.

Are we better off to upgrade to a junior suite? :confused: The reason we didnt get two junior suites when first booking was because they were not adjoining.

Comments and observations from previous QM2 travelers is appreciated so I can take the appropriate action if needed.

I hope I am just an over reactive dad.

Often times people book an inside across the hall for the kids. Might not be a bad idea if you're concerned with the balcony safety issue. If you definitely need adjoining cabins, I don't see where the hull balcony would be any less safe for a child... The cut outs are fairly high up, so a 2 year old standing on the cocktail table might be able to see out, but I think it'd be some work for them to climb through the cut outs. We had a hull balcony on the Jun 5 crossing, and it's wonderful. You won't be disappointed.

agree totally in that hull balcony very safe for a child. actually, enjoyed quite a bit as we could have the light, air, etc. and ALSO see down while docking, whereas upper balconies looked at the promenade deck. idea of booking inside for kids not a bad idea either, but don't worry...they won't be tempted to climb if you put the lounges towards the cabin, not the outside hull of the ship. personally, i'd take the hull almost anytime over the upper ones not only for cost, but quite nice as well.

just to let you know we took our 4 yr old on the tandem crossing in april there was absolutely no way she could climb over even if stood on the loungers unless you're children are exceptionally tall please don't worry. I would struggle to climb over at 5ft tall. The balcony was great for us as it allowed us to get fresh air and a good look at the views without worrying about our daughter falling in, we did however have concerns about the railings on deck we felt safer with her on the balcony. The doors leading to the balcony are also very hard to open and I don't think that even your 8yr old will be able to open it as it is like a vacuum and again i struggled as an adult. Do keep an eye on them but don't worry so much that it ruins your experience. The kids club is fantastic, if you can bear to be away from them, use the afternoon and evening sessions as you can only have two sessions, (the morning session really isn't worth it by the time you have eaten etc,) and have some great times together. Happy Sailings !!:)

Archived