Ft Lauderdale: Holiday Inn by the sea vs Hilton Deerfield vs Ramada Plaza Hollywood?

Middleager

I have a "Get up & Go" hotel voucher for 2-night stay in Fort Lauderdale. Some other friends also have same voucher, and may travel together with us, before cruise. Three hotels are eligible:

Holiday Inn by the Sea

Hilton Deerfield/Boca Raton

Ramada Plaza Hollywood

My wife and I will be flying from Toronto (may actually go to Buffalo, to get cheaper flights) to either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, for the Carnival Liberty Sat. Aug. 23/08 cruise out of Miami port. We'll rent a car.

We'd like to fly in Mon. Aug. 18/08 and spend a few days in the keys for some diving/snorkeling. We could stay 2 nights at the hotel right after we flying in Aug. 18-20, then go to the keys Aug. 20-23 then back to catch the cruise, or go to the keys Aug. 18-21, then go to the hotel Thr. Aug. 21-23, before the Aug. 23 cruise.

After researching some reviews, it seems like Ramada has mostly bad reviews, and the Hilton with good reviews. But the Hilton is further north, and is not by the beach. The Holiday Inn has mediocre reviews, but is right by the beach. I'd also like to go diving once or twice near Ft Lauderdale (or Miami) while staying at the hotel.

Can you advise on these 3 hotels on their pros and cons. Also any pros/cons to stay at the hotel then to the keys before cruise, or go the the keys first, then to the hotel before cruise. Thanks a lot.

I hope someone will provide you with a more update review than mine.We stayed at the H.I.B.T.S about 6 years ago......If we had not arrived at night, I would have left.I had to fix the toilet....and we piled our suitcases up against the door.....do you get this picture ????

Sharon

I've been to the Ramada. Not good. Shall I say ladies of the evening frequented the place. We were only there because our airline had a flight delay and that's where they put us up for the night.

I think the Hilton might be the better bet.

Hmm. Tripadvisors reviews for the Ramada are almost all bad. For the Holiday Inn by the sea, most reviews are between ok to bad. The Hilton seems much better, but it is further north and not by the beach. I do find the reviews in tripadvisor are often harsher than things really are (I've stayed at places with not so good reviews and found them quite adequate)

I was hoping if the Holiday Inn is actually not too bad, we could stay there. We are not looking for luxury at all. But if the Holiday Inn is also really bad, then that really leaves the Hilton.

Hello Middleager,

Always trying to help a fellow Canadian so here goes.

I haven't stayed in any of these hotels. I did however, ride by the HI LBTS last week on a bicycle. It looked like a two star hotel across the street from the beach (with private beach access). The village of LBTS however is within walking distance and is wonderful. There are numerous good restaurants, our favourite being the Aruba bar and grill, outdoor tables right by the beach. They have live music, usually just a single musician and a great happy hour (best is Friday).

http://www.arubabeachcafe.com/home.htm

Friday nights at 7pm the town closes El Mar St. and they have live Jazz outside. All the locals are out and I had a super time dancing in the street. :)

You mentioned diving and that is what inspired me to write this. LBTS is known as one of the best places for diving right from the beach. There is a wreck right off the beach. There is a dive shop in the village.

Check this out for info.

http://www.lauderdalebythesea-fl.gov/muni/scuba.htm

The location of the HI will most likely offset the 2* quality of its rooms.

Did I mention the homemade ice-cream shoppe? Or the Greek restaurant with belly dancers??

Thanks monicajay. That's good info to know. Especially nice to know Lauder by the Sea is a good diving area. Locationwise, the HI is moving up on the list. I also found some more reviews other than tripadvisor, and they are sounding a lot better.

I don't know about dancing on the street. I'm middle aged and my friends are same or just retired. Well there's a family with children that might enjoy.

Belly dancers eh, I think my wife would like to see that too:D .

Archived